main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Status of TimeTales Chronology?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by StarWarsIsMyLife, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    What happened to TimeTales? It was undergoing renovation, but since November of 2004, there have been no updates. What has happened to the definitive Star Wars Encyclopedia???

2. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I was wondering the same thing. I've tried to access the site recently, as it's very useful when people new to the EU have questions, but I only get a confusing list of updates on the TF.N page. (The new TF.N layout doesn't help to limit the confusion, either.)

However, what I do know is that The_Gatherer played a large part in TimeTales, and IIRC he's no longer an active member of the TF.N staff.

3. electrolyte

electrolyte Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    I've been asking this of the TFN folks for a while (never with any reply, unfortunately). The real problem is that the ZIP file they offer on the Time Tales site is an older version; there was a newer one that went all the way up to "The Unifying Force" but it's no longer there!

Very upsetting... I really want to see this thing again...

4. StarWarsIsMyLife

Jul 14, 2004
    Time Tales is truly the source for all Star Wars information. Nothing else lists and describes in painful detail every single solitary event that occured in Star Wars.

In the last update, the guy said he was having computer problems but still planned to finish it through Revenge of the Sith. I'm worried TimeTales might be officially dead... :_|

5. StarWarsIsMyLife

Jul 14, 2004
    Does anybody have any information as to the fate of TimeTales? Nathan Butler just finished his Star Wars Timeline Gold. It's good, but it's not as good as TimeTales was.

6. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    As far as I know, Timetales is alive, but there have been complication in the last few months:

Thanks to some controversial comments he made in the Senate Forum area, my co-writer Michael Potts has been permanently banned from the Jedi Council forum. Until I get a new email address, I have no contact with him, nor he with me. What this will mean for the site?s future, I don?t know.
    - Chris McElroy, 12/29/04.

I am VERY disillusioned at the moment, have had a VERY bad week!

My computer crashed two days ago, and it has cost me $450 to repair. Needed a new power supply and hard drive. The computer store tried to save as much of my files as they could, but when I got home, realised that I lost a LOT... all my Timetales stuff is GONE... especially the new 50 pages worth of notes that I was working on. This is about the 4th time in 10 years that I have had a complete crash... I guess after the 4th, I really should learn from my mistakes and backup more often.

The only Star Wars related files that were saved where all the Chrono Radio episodes, so I am sure Nathan will be happy!

I also can't get in touch with Chris McElroy either, so that makes it hard. I believe he has been posting over at the TFN boards... if people see him post over there, can someone please point him to this thread.

And to top it off... my TV blew up yesterday. Having a bad week...
    - Michael Potts, 01/20/05

Well, I'm back online -- sort of. I've got my computer set up at my Grandma's house, where I'm living for the time being. I've been working at Winn-Dixie as a stocker, and next week I'll be taking a second job selling merchandise at Main Street U.S.A in Walt Disney World. happy

I've only got a 48K dialup connection, with about 20 hours a month available, but I think I'll be able to set up a DSL sometime next month. I don't really know how to reach the Timetales ftp, since the TFN revamp happened right as I moved. If anyone on the staff reads this, I'd appreciate a quick heads-up on that.

Gatherer, I've bookmarked the Official SW thread on Timetales. Glad to know you're still pulling for me! You can use this email to send me the notes: boilingblood76@yahoo.com (Nobody else use that one, okay?)

Timetales, as it exists in my hard drive, is 1,127 pages strong and still growing. I FINALLY finished the Droids summaries and will soon be starting on Ewoks. I'm caught up with just about everything else except KOTOR 2 -- I've got the PC version, and it's bug-ridden. I'm gonna wait until a patch comes out before I try going further on that (I'm up to Nar Shaddaa). I've totally rewritten the "Real Life" chronology at the back, and made it more of a biography of George Lucas's life. Even I was surprised at a few of the things I've learned about the guy!

So folks, I'm still alive and I'm looking forward to the next few months like everyone else. See you at the theaters (I'm thinking the AMC at Downtown Disney) this May!
    - Chris McElroy, 03/08/05

The last message looks promising, but I don't know anything else about it... :(

I_F

7. StarWarsIsMyLife

Jul 14, 2004
    Thanks a lot, Iron_Fist!!! Apparently he's not dead. On the main TimeTales page, there wasn't any update beyond 2004.

BTW, when he referred to "Nathan," he wasn't referring to Nathan Butler, right?

8. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    StarWarsIsMyLife posted on 7/2/05 9:21pm
    Thanks a lot, Iron_Fist!!! Apparently he's not dead. On the main TimeTales page, there wasn't any update beyond 2004.

BTW, when he referred to "Nathan," he wasn't referring to Nathan Butler, right?
    [hr][/blockquote]
    Yes, he was refering to Nathan Butler - he makes the Chrono Radio episodes as well as Timeline Gold. :)

And no problems. Always happy to help. :)

I_F

9. StarWarsIsMyLife

Jul 14, 2004
    Hmm... that explains why Nathan's Timeline Gold is so similar to TimeTales.

10. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    How are they similar?

11. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    good to know. thanks Iron_Fist.

12. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Hello again, folks. Been a long time.

Timetales is still in hibernation, but it is NOT dead. Page count is...whew...1,191. As far as recent content, it is right on the bleeding edge of current. I just (still) have to slog through the latter half of KOTOR II and finally get around to those damn Ewok summaries (I seem to be subconsciously dreading them).

Folks, I've been ready to update for almost two months, but a bug in the page's new web access is preventing me from logging in to the site. I've been promised by TFN staff that this will get addressed, but no word as yet. I want to get this to you -- I'm DYING to get this to you -- but I'm stuck playing the waiting game as much as you are.

At least you'll be glad to know that -- once I do get back online -- you'll be getting almost everything you've been getting before. I've removed the Thrawn Trilogy from the Dune Sea Scrolls, deciding it wasn't that important to the main saga. So, in addition to DSS of Episodes I-VI, you'll have scrolls of Clone Wars, the Star Wars Holiday Special and Shadows of the Empire. Everything else is still there and up to date.

I'll take a different approach to rebuilding the online version this time -- posting text-only pages, THEN concentrate on pictures and maybe audio. I was trying to do both simultaneously, which I guess was putting the cart right alongside the horse.

Dan Wallace, if you're reading this, you'll be glad to know I've finally gotten rid of the old BSW4/ASW4 format and gone to BBY/ABY instead. ;)

I'll be back folks -- sometime this century...

EDIT: In fact, to prove I actually am still working on this, I'm willing to put up a summary from any recent SW item, a scene from any DSS, a portion of the George Lucas real life timeline, anything. Name it.

13. Svebor

Svebor Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2005
    I'd like to see some more of the Time Tales soon.

14. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    The countdown has started, folks. In four days, Timetales RETURNS.

15. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Yay, great news! :)

Kam

16. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    Excellent news, Chris ! :) This sounds like the best Christmas present that's coming my way ;)

17. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    [voice_stan_lee]Excelsior![/voice_stan_lee]

18. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Is the file up to download now?!?!?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.