VIDEO Steam Machines: Valve enters the console wars

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth-Lando, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I'm just saying, for the price of a Steam Machine I can get my computer up to spec, partition the harddrive, boom, I'd be set.
  2. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

But if you hadn't spent the money on a MAC you could have bought a good TV, a steam machine, and a top of the line PC and suffered no setbacks as a result! :D
  3. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    If I hadn't spent money on my mac I wouldn't have a computer :p
  4. Ichor_Razor Force Ghost

star 3
  5. Ezio Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Why is Kinect awful? While I haven't yet used the Xbox One's Kinect for gaming, I never had too much trouble with the 360's. And it was nice to work out with, too.
  6. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

Yes but you could have bought a PC and, say, a house for the same money! :p
  7. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The cheapest model being the same price as the most expensive of the "big three" consoles isn't exactly competitive, even though its hardware is more powerful. As someone who already has a ****ing PC and finds a TV box somewhat appealing, I'm disappointed that we're not seeing the low-end streaming models that Valve promised. And I don't really understand the target demographic here. Do most people who buy consoles know/care wtf a Steam Box is? Are the "casual" gamers who want to sit in their living rooms able to differentiate among the many different models and their specs? Do most PC gamers have the money to spend on a second PC with a stripped-down Linux OS?
  8. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    So Steam Boxes/Machines/whatever are now (at the entry level) still as expensive as an Xbox One, aren't really open to upgrades, and rely on an operating system that most games don't run on.

Huh.

So...so is this even a thing anymore?
    07jonesj likes this.
  9. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    The odd thing at the moment is that they seem to be aimed much more at bringing existing-Steam users to the living room than actually competing against Sony and Microsoft.

Why not just make a Steam stream box, Valve?
  10. astropaz Jedi Master

When these things were first announced I thought it was a pretty good idea but now I just see it as a step in the right direction more than anything else. I mean steam have done everything they can to make an excellent idea undesireable.
    I hope it's a success though and the first step to a real PC console, no Steam involved.
  11. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Anything PC gaming related nowadays is going to include Steam. Sorry. Most mainstream non-EA games are connected to it. I don't see what the alternative is. Disc-based? lol
  12. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
  13. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    GOG is for classic games.
  14. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    It's the only thing I could think of similar to Steam, and it's not even close. EA has/had Origin, and though it's the same idea it's miles behind.