main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Steam Machines: Valve enters the console wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Lando, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm just saying, for the price of a Steam Machine I can get my computer up to spec, partition the harddrive, boom, I'd be set.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

But if you hadn't spent the money on a MAC you could have bought a good TV, a steam machine, and a top of the line PC and suffered no setbacks as a result! :D

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    If I hadn't spent money on my mac I wouldn't have a computer :p

4. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
  5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Why is Kinect awful? While I haven't yet used the Xbox One's Kinect for gaming, I never had too much trouble with the 360's. And it was nice to work out with, too.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yes but you could have bought a PC and, say, a house for the same money! :p

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The cheapest model being the same price as the most expensive of the "big three" consoles isn't exactly competitive, even though its hardware is more powerful. As someone who already has a ****ing PC and finds a TV box somewhat appealing, I'm disappointed that we're not seeing the low-end streaming models that Valve promised. And I don't really understand the target demographic here. Do most people who buy consoles know/care wtf a Steam Box is? Are the "casual" gamers who want to sit in their living rooms able to differentiate among the many different models and their specs? Do most PC gamers have the money to spend on a second PC with a stripped-down Linux OS?

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So Steam Boxes/Machines/whatever are now (at the entry level) still as expensive as an Xbox One, aren't really open to upgrades, and rely on an operating system that most games don't run on.

Huh.

So...so is this even a thing anymore?

07jonesj likes this.
  9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The odd thing at the moment is that they seem to be aimed much more at bringing existing-Steam users to the living room than actually competing against Sony and Microsoft.

Why not just make a Steam stream box, Valve?

10. astropaz

astropaz Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    When these things were first announced I thought it was a pretty good idea but now I just see it as a step in the right direction more than anything else. I mean steam have done everything they can to make an excellent idea undesireable.
    I hope it's a success though and the first step to a real PC console, no Steam involved.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Anything PC gaming related nowadays is going to include Steam. Sorry. Most mainstream non-EA games are connected to it. I don't see what the alternative is. Disc-based? lol

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    GOG? Except not.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    GOG is for classic games.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's the only thing I could think of similar to Steam, and it's not even close. EA has/had Origin, and though it's the same idea it's miles behind.