main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Steampunk GhostBusters

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by roxez, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks to John for this awesome idea...

So anyway, I was researching Proton Pack design today and I stumbled upon this:

Ghostbusters International

Think the 501st group, but for Ghostbusters. I read over their rules, and I don't believe that steampunk ghostbusters would be disavowed. Also, I found out they don't have a WA "franchise" yet...

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

As for my research, I have a pretty good idea of how to build the packs to resemble the proper ones using Steampunk tech (and look plausible as to function). I'm working on drawing specs up now.

2. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Hey guys, Nat went ahead and modified a logo for us. What do you think? Nice, huh?

[image=http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/NataLekku/SteamPunkGhostBusters/steampunkgb.jpg]

3. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Dude that is BAD ASS! Way to go Nat on that logo!

4. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Shame on you Nat for stealing my design thunder!! Though it does look pretty good :D But it'd have to be vector to be converted to a patch. Also, I wouldn't join that Ghostbuster group myself on the principle of their website sucking hardcore (also, I'm just not a huge ghostbuster fan, I just like this concept a lot)

We all agreed this was a good template for the jumpsuit, right? And then add the brass etched name plates, and the patch on the sleeve, then leave it up to the individual if they want eyewear or hats, or various knee pads, so that there's some conformity and individuality?
    [image=http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/media/002316/002316_01.jpg]

5. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    No intent to steal your design thunder occurred. I was just bored and decided to have some fun in photoshop. I'm glad you guys like my mock-up. :)

6. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Fair enough on not joining Ghostbusters International. Their website is rather simplistic. However, I have created a website prototype that explains the group as if it were a business. Yeah John, I know, websites is your thing, but you also say you are overwhelmed all the time, so I figured I'd take this one off your hands.

Web address is here: SteamPunk Ghostbusters, Spokane, WA

Now it's just a prototype; I'm looking for all input as a group and I plan on registering a different name for the proper website once we have it done, but what does the group think so far?

7. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    My schedule should clear up a great deal after SpoCon. Though I don't really expect this steampunk ghostbusters to really grow beyond a group of cool costumes that we wear to cons together. But whatever :D (the site doesn't look bad though). I wouldn't be opposed to setting up a site for photos, if we received a lot of attention.

I kind of feel like "Geistblight" or "Geistblighters" would be a good old world form of Ghostbusters

Main Entry: geist
    Part of Speech: n
    Definition: spirit, spirituality; also, intellectual inclination, intelligence
    Etymology: Greek

This works because it means spirits and intelligence, we are men of science after all!

Main Entry: blight
    Part of Speech: v
    Definition: to cause to wither or decay; blast: Frost blighted the crops.
    Origin: 1605?15; of uncert. orig.

Granted, Blighter has another definition entirely, that of a pest... but that also kinda works :p

8. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I like Geistblighters!

9. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Oh, also, I thought of this, perhaps instead of a round patch, we do more of a shield shape, it might be a little more "Victorian" in style

10. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    That's fine. Perhaps my enthusiasm got the better of me (yes, I am a huge GB fan). I don't have grand illusions of being more than a cool costume concept worn to conventions. If the website is nothing more than a photo gallery dressed up in my little fiction, so be it.

I love the GeistBlighters name. Very nice. As for the patch, I dunno, I think the way Nat just modded the existing logo works best. Again, we want them to instantly recognize the logo as us being ghostbusters, but then double take and see the Victorian changes. Better to be subtle IMHO.

11. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I don't see the patch changing much, the ghost stays the same, the red slash stays the same, we just make the top of the circle square, and the bottom pointed. I might get a little creative at least for website/design purposes, and make the red parts metallic with bolts ;)

12. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    I like the red changing to metallic colors, but still not sure on the changing of the shape. I guess all I can say is make a mockup and we can decide on the design when the time comes.

13. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Working on it :D

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    [image=http://www.thespokantina.com/geistblighters.jpg]

voila!

I'm thinking about a few more subtle tweaks and whatnot, but I think I can keep it recognizable while making it unique and more Victorian looking :D

15. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Not bad. It seems a tad open though. Maybe drop the top red bar down so it's just above the ghost's shoulder, with the crossbar going right into the corner instead of just below it.

16. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I agree.

17. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    This. Rocks.

What can I do to help out?

18. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    HAHAHA, I think we just found our stoker/trap-keeper...

("What? these things only have a half-life of 10 minutes!" -Bevan)

19. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Why do I feel like Winston when he first gets hired?

20. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Do you believe in U.F.O.s, astral projections, mental telepathy, E.S.P., clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full-trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster, and the theory of Atlantis?

And No, there's no steady paycheck.

21. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    No steady paycheck? Well, even an unsteady one is better than nothing.

Sure, I'll believe whatever you want.

22. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    I don't have a lot of time here since I have to be at work early tomorrow...

First off, you guys are so incredibly awesome!!!

Nat, I love the adaption of the logo. Exactly what we all wound up describing. You are the best!

John, the uniform/safari suit is perfect! Though personally, I think I'll go with a bow-tie.
    I have a thought on the patch, though. Keep the "not" sybol round just like in Nat's depiction, but make the actual patch itself shaped like a shield to frame it in. It could even have a metalic border to it as though it really were a shield. Just smaller.
    I think either form of the name that you've come up with would be perfect. Tragicly better than "Spectral Resolutions".....

Good work Bevan!

Too bad there isn't much chance of us having this ready for SpoCon. Anybody interested in NorWesCon?

23. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    Whatever con is being used for this project's debut really depends on when I get income, remember? Otherwise, I'd have to sit out, and considering how much effort I've put in already, that doesn't seem fair.

24. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Agreed, the costume's debut is when ALL of us are ready

25. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    Have you all seen these:

http://www.ectomo.com/index.php/2007/08/02/steampunk-ghostbuster/
    http://www.steampunkghostbusters.com/Photos.html
    http://thefinned1.vox.com/library/photo/6a00c22521073e8e1d00fa9691b30a0002.html
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6ZV1A0XWS8k/SRRz3o76IrI/AAAAAAAAA3w/gUWWbkKNUe4/IMG_1415.JPG

I'll see if I can put together the stuff for a steampunk PKE Meter or ghost-trap. I KNOW I have some clock peices lying around.

EDIT: I dug out an antique-looking oil/wick lantern that might do for the trap (and I might have two!). I will bring it to the game in Friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.