Spok, WA Steampunk GhostBusters

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by roxez, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxez Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah, we had seen those Chris... we think we can do better.

I have drawn some VERY crude drawings for the various equipment. Just my ideas, nothing that's set in stone. I am curious about this lantern idea for the trap. My thought was to just make the trap look the same-ish, just add steampunk bits to it. The lantern has me curious. Yeah, bring it to game group tomorrow.

As for the website, I would like it very much if the group made their "profiles" so to speak and send them to me. Looking at the site, I do have a staff page where the intent was to have our character personas, why we formed the GB team, etc. Yes, it's silly fluff, but humor me.

So far we have on the team:

John
    Bevan - I picture myself as an analog to Dr. Spengler, being the techy geek who knows how Proton Packs are supposed to work.
    Smudge
    Alfredo
    Dave
    Chris
    Sabrina - Our wonderful secretary
  2. Darthchromer Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The MAC exhibit has the full costume of STANZ's Ghostbusters uniform with proton pack, not sure if there is a ghost trap there. Hard to see wearing a mask.
  3. Corvalis Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I picture myself as an analog to Ray. Still knowledgable, but still goofy, in a lovable kind of way.

Do we have a template for the info on our persona's Jon? If so, PM me and I'll fill it out for the website.
  4. Corvalis Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think I really want to make a set of Steampunk Ecto Goggles.

Here's the prop (maybe the toy, but I can't tell)
    [link=http://www.gbfans.com/fans/props/ecto-goggles/2243/3/]Clicky[/link]

5. Eledaia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm going to be a ghost for y'all. And I'm going to design it in the style of the GB movies, kinda cartoonie.
  6. JarusSarn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm strongly of the opinion that only 4 of us should have proton packs and uniforms, those being the 4 of us who were present when the idea was spawned... so this really isn't a "Spokantina" thing, so much as it's a John, Bevan, Alfredo and Smudge thing... I welcome everyone doing something with this (assistants, ghosts, etc), but I think the four of us have dibs on being the "team" :D
  7. Eledaia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I disagree :p

I think that there may be times when not everyone can schedule time off or afford to attend cons, and your "team" would be missing a person or two. I would suggest that anyone can be a "team" member and you have different configurations depending on who can attend a certain event. I figure it would be best to have only 4 teammates per event, switching off members depending on who is actually attending.
  8. JarusSarn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    My wife says I'm being an a**hole, so I guess I don't care who does what, have fun.

As soon as this becomes a "costuming committee", I'm out, I don't do committees.
    Also, any more than 4 people in these costumes at a con, and it'll loose it's cool factor. Ghostbusters aren't Stormtroopers, not everyone gets to be one. That's my 2¢.
  9. JarusSarn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I suppose I should explain myself, I'm not trying to be a selfish jerk or anything, but we agreed at the project meeting that all the proton packs would be made at the same time so they would all be similar, anyone who can dedicate the time and the funds to build one when we build ours is welcome to. Also, I guess I don't have a problem with someone making a "team" member, however, there's gotta be some rules, as in, there's the first 4, who get first dibs on wearing the costumes to events, but if one or more of those four can't make it, one of the "reserves" could stand in for them in their own gear. I don't have a problem with that, as long as there's only ever 4 team members in costume, and the original 4 of us have dibs :D

Also, this isn't a "spokantina project", it's merely an idea that was spawned while at a Spokantina project meeting, since it's not star wars related at all, it can't be considered a group "thing"... I just want to make that clear, the only reason it's being discussed here is because it was the most convenient place.

So please don't hate me, I'm getting enough of that from the wife right now. As a creative person, I get very protective of my ideas, that often shows through as me being a jerk, I'm not meaning it that way at all, I just like to defend my ideas as much as possible (people are mean and they steal ideas, it's not fun) :\
  10. roxez Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I can understand where John is coming from. The Ghostbusters are just the four guys, well, technically with the 2009 game being considered canon, there is the "Rookie" - yes, that IS the nametag - being the fifth Ghostbuster. Actually, if you count Tully's appearance in GB 2, there are SIX pack-wielding Busters in canon (wait, seven, based on some game dialog about "what happened to the last guy"), but there is something iconic about "the four". As such, I agree with John that "the four" that match the originals in personality and such should be John, Alfredo, Smudge, and myself.

On the other hand, Venkman talks about the Ghostbusters becoming a "franchise" operation, that the technology could be licensed out to other Ghostbusting groups. That's kind of what I mentioned in the website, that the Steampunk Ghostbusters were inspired by the original group and formed a franchise with respect to the original four. Who's to say our group doesn't have a few extra busters?

John, we all recognize you as the first to regale your thoughts on the idea. You are our Peter Venkman, the one who saw the potential. I don't however see an issue with Dave or Chris coming in and helping. We already made plans for Sabrina to play a Janine-analog walking around with a telephone. We talked about a Fifth man being the trap-keeper.

I don't want to turn anyone away from any project just because it doesn't fit with the "vision". If people have ideas, let's use them, so long as it's appropriate. Besides, we could always use ghost characters for the GB team to hunt down. Kelly and Nat have already expressed interest there.

Okay, enough melodrama. As for other questions:

Dave, at this point, all website details go to me. I am running the site as is. Whether or not that changes is a decision later. As for the bios, it's like a company website. You know... "such and such a person was doing this before he joined the team. As the , his job on the team is...". Just a quick paragraph.

Going from above with the talk of "the four", if I was to assign personalities (strictly my own opinion), I would think the analogs are as such:

John - Peter Venkman
    Alfredo - Winston Zeddemore
    Smudge- Ray Stantz
    Bevan - Egon Spengler
    Sabrina - Janine Melnitz
    Dave/Chris - The "Rookie"

Again, my opinion, take it as you will. />
  11. Eledaia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    So, apparently, Jarus has been banned from the boards. It would be nice if bannings came with explanations, instead of leaving us guessing. TOS violation or did some lodge a complaint? If someone reported his post or something, that is poor form. I would hope that we can discuss differences like adults instead of running to the powers that be. But I figure is was the TOS. I will say that this has inspired him to work more on our website so we can moderate our own private boards :p
  12. Corvalis Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sorry, I don't have internet at home, so I missed all this wonderful chatter until I got into work this morning.

Jon: I totally understand where you're coming from with trying to keep the original 4 GBs being a focus, and I can imagine how confusing it would be with more than 4 people with proton packs at a convention where you're trying to show off your concept. It would be very weird.

I wasn't at the original conception of the idea, so I didn't know the details. As far as I understood what was going on was that "a group" of us in the Spokantina wanted to do Steampunk Ghostbusters and try to get into the Ghostbusters International with our costumes. On that end of it, I would absolutely want to be an extra "teammate" and one of the proton pack slingers, since you don't have to have just four people to get in.

As for conventions and other things like that, I don't mind taking a minor role. I was thinking about it last night, and I could see myself playing a Tully analog for that (assuming I can find/make a nice steampunk calculator) or filling in where someone is missing.

I still want to be part of this, I think the idea is amazing, and I'm willing to finally sink to the costuming level of geekdom with this concept. (No offense to you awesome costumers.) :p
  13. roxez Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Jon got banned!? Whoa... that's a bit harsh. I didn't complain; as you said, I have no issue discussing this rationally. My only thought as to why was the post above with the starring out of a swear word. I know the Mods are particular to star out the whole word, not just the partial. However they usually edit first. Weird. Sorry there Jon!

14. Raph1613 Jedi Master

star 4
    WT*?!?!!

John's probably one of the most demure Posters I've ever seen. What TOS could he have violated?
    (did he make our Forum look too cool?)
    For that matter, why would anyone complain about him??? The last time I checked, I was at least twice as offensive as him. And Sean is twice as offensive as me.....

EDIT: The "F" has been starred, as recommended. Thanks Bevan.
  15. Corvalis Jedi Youngling

star 2
    True.

I didn't lodge a complaint or anything. I didn't even see his reply until just before 8am this morning! Can we get him unbanned?
  16. JarusSarn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Apparently the ban-bat has been lifted... so yeah, I'm sticking to the whole "we need our own boards because TF.N has poor moderation rules and doesn't know our group on a personal level... (though we should still post on these about public events and such, we can discuss this at the next meeting) this is the second time I've been banned and the group has collectively said "what the fudge (since apparently we're not adults who can all be reasonable, they should come to our meetings and try and censor us there)?" in response... people who know me from meetings know that I'm not an instigator, I just come across like a jerk sometimes because I'm pretty possessive... should I be banned because of my personality? :p

Back on topic, I think it's awesome that you want to start costuming Dave :D we just need to get you to a project meeting now :p And I think having some extra proton packs is an awesome idea, we just need people to front the money and time for them, and they need to be built when we build the others.

Also, somehow, driving home from work yesterday, I knew that I would get labeled as Venkman... :D Must be my cocky, selfish attitude :D I'm cool with that ;)
  17. Corvalis Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think since my Tully costume would just a bankers/business outfit and a Steampunk calculator, I'd be able to help out with making some of the extra packs or the Ecto goggles. I can front a good bit of money, but not until mid July at the earliest.

I still have to divert some funds to Alfredo too, since my saber isn't quite finished yet.
  18. roxez Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If you are doing Tully, you need a calculator / invoice machine. We could hand out "invoices" for various ghost trappings.

Edit: While I love your enthusiasm Dave for helping out with this, I do feel concerned about you fronting money for the packs or goggles. Not in that you won't do a good job, but more in terms of prop "ownership". We all know I'm still job hunting, and as such won't be able to truly start on this project until I get something that pays money. I know that the costumes I make I want to keep, which then means that if I have a pack, trap, and possibly goggles and PKE meter, I want to make sure I don't "owe" anyone for those props. I already owe enough people enough money.

Basically, if you cough up cash/time/building for props not for your "character", we need to make sure that those people are duly compensated when it comes to who owns what prop.
  19. Corvalis Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yeah, I'm looking at either [link=http://www.nzeldes.com/HOC/Odhner.htm]this[/link] or [link=http://www.nzeldes.com/HOC/Adix.htm]this[/link].
  20. Raph1613 Jedi Master

star 4
    Most definitely.

I think the appropriate term would be "creatively passionate". You're a jerk for other reasons. :D

Oh, I don't know. I'm still something of a fan of the TF.N
    Besides, wouldn't it be cool if you were to hold the Record for most Bannings?

Welcome back. Again.
    By the way, why did you get banned?

EDIT: Getting back On-Topic...
    We had discussed using wooden planks as a base for the Proton Packs. I might have enough spare plywood laying around to make a few (four maybe) of them. Then I'd just need to dress the edges and stain the whole mess.
    What would be a good size?

21. JarusSarn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Because I'm made of Win and Awesome. And TF.N can't handle that.

I really have no idea actually, though I do feel vindicated when all of you, my swell friends, back me up ;) group hug!
  22. roxez Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Back on topic again...

Okay, two things.

1. Chris, Dave and I were talking during the gaming session on Friday. A good way to make a "fifth man" as we already discussed is for the fifth to be the trapper. Since victorian-era power generation is infeasible for such a small device as the trap, the idea then is for the fifth man's pack to be a trap pack, with one or two traps connected to it by cables. The activator - aka the foot pedal - is a device connected to the man's leg that serves as the pad when he stomps. If he has two traps, another idea is for a wrist-mounted control board to activate, one or both traps.

2. I have now rented and played both the Wii and 360 editions of Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Taking the 360 version as canonical to the series (which it is, considering Akroyd and Ramis wrote it), there are five distinct pack designs:

- The original proton pack
    - The slime blower from Ghostbusters II

Now the original pack gets three upgrades, bolted on to the main frame. They are:

- Dark matter generator, that looks like blue fins popping out. It's essentially the shotgun of the game.
    [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/features/gameguides/ghostbusters/539.jpg]

- The slime blower Mark II, seen here:
    [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/features/gameguides/ghostbusters/1001.jpg]

-The composite particle beam, basically the heavy weapon. Note the extra lights and arcing rods:
    [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/features/gameguides/ghostbusters/1578.jpg]

So, it might be an okay idea to build a base pack, but then each ghostbuster have a steampunk variant of each of these upgrades. Unless we get really fancy, include all the upgrades and then try to make them switch modes...

Oh,. and the PKE meter changed too.

[image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/features/gameguides/ghostbusters/101.jpg]
  23. roxez Jedi Youngling

star 3
    One more thing...

By now I hope everyone has taken a look at the website. I hope everyone approves. I still need more details and input from everyone. One thing though is to decide the name.

John came up with Geistblighters, which I like considering it matches the original name while maintaining the steampunk look. So right now the website is on my personal Webs account. I want to return that to my original site purpose (a gaming site, BTW, if you are interested), but I still want to build the website for the group, with John already working on the Spokantina and Battlestar websites.

Using the Webs interface, the URL is http://<username>.webs.com/ so what to make the name?

I have the following choices:

http://Geistblighters.webs.com

http://GeistblightersWA.webs.com

http://GBWA.webs.com

Let me know what you guys like as a URL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.