main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Steel: A Mara Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Miska, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    A/N: Okay I'm taking a deep breath and posting this vignette...I've only ever written Han and Leia before, with the occasoinal Luke, so I hope you guys like it!!

Disclaimer: I don't have a clever little disclaimer, so I'll just say that none of this is mine ;)

Summary: A few months after "The Last Command", Mara reflects on her future and her identity.

Spin, thrust, step. [i]Crash.[/i]
    Spin, thrust, step. [i]Crash.[/i]
    Spin, thrust, step-

Mara shut off her lightsaber in frustration as she crashed to the floor for the third time in a row. She started to throw it across the room before she remembered it was Luke?s. [i]So what?[/i] A part of her brain demanded, and when she didn?t like the immediate answer that came, she became so frustrated that she hurled the weapon across the gym just for the hell of it. A few heads shot up, but most were too used to seeing the famous Jade temper to care, and one of Mara?s patented glares soon convinced everyone else that something very interesting was happening at the other side of the room.

And that was just fine with Mara. It was almost comforting to know that despite the changes that had been taking place in her lately, the moments of doubt and occasional uncertainty that made her wonder if she was losing her edge, some people were still afraid of her. But even her reactions to this fear had begun to be mixed. Sometimes it gratified her- she had worked too hard her whole life not to be feared. Sometimes it amused her- she laughed to herself at people who had no backbone. And sometimes, only just recently, it had started to make her feel. . .empty.

Mara shook her head, picked herself up off the floor, and headed towards her water bottle. A glance across the room at Luke?s lightsaber lying on the floor almost made her feel guilty. [i]What a surprise,[/i] her mind whispered ironically. [i]Mara Jade, Woman of Steel, is capable of guilt. [/i]

[i] ?But that?s the funny thing about durasteel,? Luke had said once, referring to her popular media nickname. ?It seems hard, almost impossible to bend?but it can surprise you sometimes.? [/i]

At the time, Mara remembered, she had made some sarcastic remark about naive Tatooine farm boys, but now she found herself recalling the words and hugging them to her. And unwillingly, Mara found herself falling back into a habit she?d vowed to break: thinking of Luke.

[i]Skywalker,[/i] her mind supplied. And it wasn?t as if she could help it. She was standing in the gym they had sparred in countless times, holding his lightsaber and trying to master a move that he had beat her with last time. Anyway, he was just a friend. Who was to stop her from having friends?

Mara stopped and reconsidered that last thought. Was that what they were now? They had gone from enemies- at least on her part- to allies, to something more. But Mara Jade didn?t have friends. Not her. Not the Woman of Steel.

Mara nodded decidedly, and picked up her light saber. She felt confident that she could master that move now.

Spin, thrust, step.
    [i]Crash.[/i]

?Try spinning to your right instead,? a mild voice suggested. From the floor, Mara glared up into blue eyes so intense that they could only belong to one person. ?If you spin to your right, you won?t have to take that extra step, and you?ll be able to keep your balance.? Luke elucidated, leaning down to offer her a hand. ?Want to try it against a real opponent??

For a second, Mara considered snapping that she didn?t need him, knocking his hand away, and continuing her exercises. Alone. Because, after all, wasn?t that what people like her did?

Mara reached up to take Luke?s hand, used it to pull herself up, and nodded.

?Only if you wipe that smug Jedi look off your face.? The tone was brisk but not harsh. Luke raised his hands in an innocent gesture reminiscent of his brother-in-law, Han Solo.

?Who, me?? But he still looked inordinately smug at the fact that she had slipped up and he had been there to see it. Mara wondered what he wo

2. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    I'm terribly sorry, I don't like it. :_|

.......I LOVE this fic. [face_love] That was great. You pegged Mara's character perfectly.

3. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Miska- Great job! I loved the conflict Mara felt between what she was supposed to do, and what she really felt. I thought your characterization of her was dead on. Well done. :)

4. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    Yes, it was the element of conflict that made it distinctly Mara. Good job with this.

5. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Very good. Are you sure this is your first time writting Mara? You could have fooled me. [face_wink}

-Vicster

6. astrowoman

astrowoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    A very nice viggie. I too liked Mara's inner conflict -- you have got her character down :D

Astro

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Excellent job, Miska! I'd never have guessed this was your first time writing Mara. :D

But even her reactions to this fear had begun to be mixed. Sometimes it gratified her- she had worked too hard her whole life not to be feared. Sometimes it amused her- she laughed to herself at people who had no backbone. And sometimes, only just recently, it had started to make her feel. . .empty.

Perfect in all respects. This is definitely Mara. :D

?But that?s the funny thing about durasteel,? Luke had said once, referring to her popular media nickname. ?It seems hard, almost impossible to bend?but it can surprise you sometimes.?

And this is so Luke. Just the sort of subtle yet obvious sort of thing he'd try to say to Mara. It reminds me of the final chapter of Zahn's TLC, when Luke said that the view from the Palace must bring back memories for Mara, and Mara's response was that Luke was pretty pathetic when he tried to be devious. :D

But he still looked inordinately smug at the fact that she had slipped up and he had been there to see it.

*giggles* It's really small things like this that define Luke and Mara's relationship. You can tell that she has a soft spot for him just because she doesn't smack him upside the head when he looks smug at her expense. You really did a wonderful job capturing both of them. I look forward to any more L/M stories you may have up your sleeve. :)

8. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Awesome job, Miska. I liked it. Very Mara.

9. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Good job. You nailed the characters of both Luke and Mara perfectly. Hope to see more L/M stories from you.

10. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Aw, this was very good, Miska!

More, more!

11. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Great job Miska! I think you've perminantly made Mara the duristeel jedi for me now! Keep up the good work! :D

12. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    That was great, Miska! I loved how you captured Mara's personality and conflicts so perfectly...Is there going to be a sequel to this??? ;)

Again, awesome job!

*LtJS*

13. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

A lovely introspective fic, Miska! You've captured Mara beautifully here!

14. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    An excellent look into Mara's head, Miska! :)

15. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Wow I'm about to have a heart attack over all the nice things you guys are saying!! All your replies have given me a *lot* of encouragement, so who knows? Maybe you'll see some more Mara fics from me in the near future... ;)

Jaina_Solo_15- ::almost starts hyperventilating:: LOL don't you ever do that to me again!!! And my first reply, too!! But I am glad you liked it ;)
    LianaMara- I've always seen Mara's inner conflict as a big part of her personality, so I'm glad I was able to capture it. Thanks!
    joy_noel- I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for reading!
    Master_Vicky- I attribute any insight I have into Mara's character to all the hours I've spent reading fan fic about her ;-) I'm glad you liked it and yes, this is definitely my first time (but hopefully not my last!)
    astrowoman- Thank you! I'm glad I got Mara right, she's a difficult character...but that's why we all love her, isn't it ;)
    Gabri_Jade- I'm especially glad that you liked it...you're the reigning goddess of Luke and Mara fics, you know ;-) I absolutely adored "Infinite Possiblities", I must have read it at least 3 times already!
    J_M_Bulldog- Thanks for reading, I'm really glad you liked it!
    Jedi-2B- Thanks! I'm glad I got Mara and Luke down, I was a little worried about them :) And I love your icon, btw!
    Dancing_Jansons- Thanks for reading! I'm glad you liked it- and I had to LOL at the quotes in your sig ;)
    Rivad_bacar- I'm flattered! ::blushes:: Thanks!
    LtJS- Hmm...a sequel? I really don't know. I wouldn't rule it out though- you never know when inspiration will strike! I'm glad you liked it!
    LadyPadme- Praise from you is a special compliment :) I can't wait to see what you'll do with Mara's character in "Jade Prophecy" though!
    Saber-of-Light- Thank you! I'm glad you liked it and thanks for reading!

16. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    I think it would be cool to see a bit of this from Luke's point of view... definately interesting... ;)

Again, awesome job!

17. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Ooo...I definitly LOVE this viggie! You wrote Mara beautifully, I wouldn't have guessed it was your first tim 8-} Beautifully done!

UP!

EJ

18. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    excellent! I especially liked the nickname you came up withb, "woman of steel". You did a great job. I hope to see more Mara stuff from you in the future.

19. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Thanks Jedi_Liz and Eowyn_Jade!!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've written a sequel to this vignette, and it'll be up in the forums as soon as my beta gets it back to me, so keep an eye out for it ;) I'll post the link here when I get it up!

And a HUGE thank you to Lt_Jaina_Solo for getting me considering a sequel in the first place! Honestly, I wouldn't have even thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it, so thank you!

20. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    And a HUGE thank you to Lt_Jaina_Solo for getting me considering a sequel in the first place! Honestly, I wouldn't have even thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it, so thank you!

Wow! [face_blush] You're welcome! Can't wait to read it!

*LtJS*

21. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
  22. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I saw your other vignette up and decided to stop by and read this one before I read the other, I'm glad I did. :D It was great! I totally loved how Mara was trying to rationalize with herself.

23. JainaJag00

JainaJag00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    that was really good! i love how u did maras thoughts.... nice job!

24. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I like very much :)

25. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    Mara shut off her lightsaber in frustration as she crashed to the floor for the third time in a row. She started to throw it across the room before she remembered it was Luke?s. So what? A part of her brain demanded, and when she didn?t like the immediate answer that came, she became so frustrated that she hurled the weapon across the gym just for the hell of it. Great intro and extremly Mara-like!! It relaly pulls you into the story with such a vivid portrayal as a starting pitch. And the last line was great. :D A really nice little piece of work here Miska--great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.