main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Steel Battallion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by gwaernardel, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Have any of you heard about this game yet? I think I would probably sell my soul for it. It's a mech sim for Xbox, and it comes with 2 joysticks, 3 foot pedals, and a panel with about 40 buttons on it. You even have an emergency eject button and windshield wiper! Eep!

GameSpot article
    Xbox Gamezone article
    IGN article

2. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    They also upped the price of the game and controler from $150 to $249!!!!

They are going to lose their butts in this one. Who's going to pay more for a game then they did the console???????

3. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    $249!?!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There is no way I am getting this game for that price, no matter how great it has looked in the demos.

4. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    I'd get it. It's cheaper than those damn $15-an-hour sims they have in California.

5. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Even at $150 that's pretty high. This would have to be the most kick arse game of all time, and then it would have to take Halo, Mechwarrior, and Doom III to the prison showers and make them it's b**** before I thought I could plunk down $249.

Wait, that doesn't sound right!???!? Oh well I'm sticking with that analogy.

6. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    I guess it really is for hardcore mech freaks. I doubt the average consumer is just going to go out and pick one up. I don't think they're really going to lose money on it though. I doubt they'll make that many.

7. Adon_Malik

Adon_Malik Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    Personally the way I look at it is this: If you want the experience of piloting a mech you have two options. Either you go to one of the mech sim places and pay $15 an hour to play it or you buy this. Personally I'd buy this as if you want to play for any appreciable amount of time this would be way cheeper. If it's $250 that's roughly 17 hours of play at one of these mech sim places. Considering that most games have way more than 17 hours of game play (not including the replayability offered by the unlockable things) I'd say it's definitely worth it. Plus, look at the controller. It has two joystick (probably both force feadback), a throttle control, 40 buttons, and 3 foot pedals. A similar thing for the computer would cost upwards of $400. If you don't believe me, look at the Sidewinder, multiply that by 2 and add in half the price of good steering wheel/foot pedal set. And that wouldn't even include the best mech sim ever made with it.

Also it's rather unfair to compare FPS to this game as it isn't a FPS, it's a Mech Pilot Sim. It's more like a Flight Sim than anything else. They're going for ultimate realism with this game, not just a shoot the bad guy type thing. Personally I'll be at the store buying this the day it comes out.... even if I have to live off ramen noodles excusively for a month.

8. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Yeah well you don't have to deal with the penalty from a wife of spending 250 on a game. I'd be sleeping on the couch. Granted I could enjoy the game instead of the bed but it's not worth it.

9. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Hehe, Adon_Malik is my fiance. If he's on the couch, so am I, because we'd both be willing to sell the bed to buy this game.

10. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    yeah my wife's an old school Mario fan. That's about the most gaming she does.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    My wife'll play LEC adventures with me. She got hooked on Day of the Tentacle, and we've done Monkey Island 3 & 4 together.

We also got 1/2 way through Grim Fandango, and then the baby arrived 15 months back and we haven't loaded it up since :(

Oh, and she'll play the odd emulated classic - pacman, donkey kong & frogger etc.

12. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Ridiculous. $150 would be ideal for a Christmas present or such, but I really doubt that anybody outside of hardcore mech fans will be buying that game for $250.

13. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, it's really not confirmed what the price will be yet. Pretty much all they know now is that it will come out in Japan for the equivalent of $150, probably.

14. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...let me repeat that...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...this was the game i was looking forward too (other than Halo 2)...oh well...im still getting it! Lets just hope they lower the price by about 100 $!

15. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Well the 150 price recently jumped to 250. Granted that sounds fake but the xbox websites have already taken it as gosple. If it is 150 or goes down to it I might be able to get it, but we shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.