Steinbeck's California?

Discussion in 'San Joaquin Valley, CA' started by Darth-Seldon, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    I've recently become hooked on the writings of John Steinbeck. The far majority of the writings are about the Salinas Valley and Cannery Row. I was just wondering if anyone has been to these towns and cities or has been to the Steinbeck Center in Salinas. I'm curious as to whether it is a nice vacation area and if anyone has thoughts or comments on it.

East of Eden, Cannery Row, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, Travels with Charley as well as some of the other novels all paint the area into a great American landscape. I'm just an East Coaster who is curious about the area and how it is today.

Thanks
    -Seldon
  2. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, you are talking to another Steinbeck fan here. My grandmother got me hooked on his writings when I was a kid, still love them. Still revisit them. The areas have grown up a bit, but all are great vacation spots. Espcially when you have read about them and realize that this happened here, that happened there. Well Well worth vacationing too.
    Unfortunately, Salinas is getting ready to close down the Steinbeck center/Library due to lack of funds. There is a lot of outrage over this decision and rightfully so. Hopefully this will help a little. Glad to know that people are still interested in his works.

Master K
  3. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    That is terrible that they are closing down the Steinbeck Center. It seemed like a good place over the internet and hopefully something will help them out.

Thanks for the information. If I ever go to California, I'm going to have to check out Salinas.

-Seldon
  4. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Just an update, I emailed the Steinbeck Center for some information.
    The Steinbeck Library is closing for a short time because of a lack of city funds. The Steinbeck Center is private and non-profit and will not be closing.

-Seldon
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.