main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Step Into the Quantum Accelerator: Quantum Leap

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jesina_Dreis, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    The one where he leaps into his grandfather and gets to save his grandmother during the Civil War was awesome...that the former slave became Martin Luthur King JR.'s grandfather was a nice twist too :)

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm having little mental images of Sam, Al, and Beth, but I can't figure out which episode they're from - the finale, or Sam's initial leap back there.

:oops: I'd forgotten about the Missile Crisis episode. How, I don't know. I love all the political ones. The race riot ep was fantastic as well. (SUCH a dork I am)

How did that civil war one work? I can't remember... I remember watching it, just can't remember how it happened, since he was only supposed to be able to leap in his lifetime, right?

3. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    The only explanation for that, if I remember correctly, was the fact that the man Sam leaped into in the Civil War era was his own grandfather.

4. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I LOVED this show growing up...still do. My favorite episode by far is "MIA" where we meet Al's wife for the first time and Al tries to persuade Sam to convince her to wait for him. That last scene between Al & Beth "shadowdancing"...so moving. :_|

I too want to see QL again, but in a feature length film that revolves around a NEW leaper. My premise for a Quantum Leap Movie:

Told in present day, 2006, the goverment under the persuasion of Admiral Albert Calvicchi (AL) decides to reopen project Quantum Leap for one last ditch attempt to rescue Dr. Sam Beckett. Given the advances in technology, Ziggy apparently has located Dr. Beckett and thus the government sends a new leaper back through time to get him. Unfortunately, Ziggy was incorrect and Sam is nowhere to be found in that particular location. In addition, the new leaper is suffering from the same type of amnesia that Sam encountered and thus must be re-educated in the same way as Sam was in the pilot episode.

As a result, the film would serve as a great way to introduce newbies to the concept while still acknowledging the original series, satisfying the hard-cores. I envision a trilogy with the 2nd revolving around the newbie falling in love w/ someone in the midst of his mission and the final film would resolving with finding Sam and finally result in him being sent home, while the new leaper selflessly takes his place in G/T/W eyes as he too mysteriously loses contact with the project (like Sam).

I know, it will never be but, a guy can dream...

Oh, and regarding the DVDs: I haven't bought any of them and refuse to in the hopes that the studios will poney up the cash and pay the royalties for the original music in the series. That final scene in MIA DOES NOT work without Ray Charles classic "Georgia on my mind". Again, it's a hopeless thought but still...:)

5. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, that's actually kind of like what's being discussed. It's a new leaper, Sam's daughter from the Trilogy, who goes to try to find Sam.

6. FallenKnight88

May 26, 2005
    I see...brilliant minds DO think alike. [face_thinking]

:p

7. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    That's a movie that I think actually would have potential, unlike things like the Charlie's Angels movie. And Scott is certainly still capable of playing in it.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't want to see a Quantum Leap movie. I think - as much as it now seems the show was killed before its time - that the great ending they did manufacture would lose it's power if suddenly Sam were to come back. I much prefer the ambiguity of '...never returned home.'

9. FallenKnight88

May 26, 2005
    As much as I admire the ending of QL w/ Dr. Sam Beckett never returning home...I just can't help but feel that he deserved/deserves a better ending.

10. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    The thing is that Sam doesn't want to come home. Deep down, he enjoys Leaping around through time. He left because he couldn't deal with the way his life was, before he left for the first time. Only Sam can bring Sam home and he doesn't want to come home yet. Even though he said that he wanted to get home, deep down, he doesn't want to come home.

11. FallenKnight88

May 26, 2005
    It's not that he doesn't want to come home, because he does, he's just putting the greater good ahead of his own desires. I just feel that if a movie were to be done in real time, that a new leaper along w/ Al were to decide that it's time for Sam to come home and for someone else to "pick up the slack" and continue what he has started. A passing of the torch, so to speak.

By this time, the new leaper, apparently his daughter may feel that Sam DESERVES to come home and that she will be self-less and sacrifice her own life so to speak to allow her father to finally return...

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's not that he doesn't want to come home, it's that he a) passionately wants to continue doing good and b) cannot accept that he's in control of his leaping.

13. FallenKnight88

May 26, 2005
    Sorry, it's been a while since I saw the Series finale (almost 2 yrs.) but, G/T/W told Sam that he'll stop leaping when he decides to stop leaping, correct?

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's what Al, the bartender more or less says to Sam.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    And the reasons he won't ever decide to stop are (a) and (b).

[image=http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/img/episodeimages/mirrorimage/52.jpg]

"God bless, Sam"

EDIT: A very good episode description for 'Mirror Image' ---> here.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: It also has a link to an alternate ending. It's not much different, but it certainly leaves you wondering about Sam.

16. FallenKnight88

May 26, 2005
    I personally am of the opinion that the alternate ending would've been a much more satisfying conclusion, even though it does leave Sam's ultimate fate a mystery.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    So does Al see Sam as Sam, or as the person he leaped into?

18. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    I was mortified by that ending. As Dr. Beckett deserved a whole lot better, and it was a testiment that in spite of Dr. Becketts 6 degrees and superintelligence, the last thing that we get to see him do is FAIL, fail to accept that he is in charge of his own destiny and take control of his leaping as Al said. Sam should have been perfectly able to gain the mental discipline and take charge. It was an injustice that they ended the show with him not doing that.

19. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    There are a few Quantum Leap Fanfilms out there, for those of us who cannot wait until a new series.

This is on YouTube::

20. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Hey, guys! I'm starting a thread to discuss QL episode-by-episode here! Come check it out. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.