main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Steps to Better Posting in the Games Forum: a guide for n00bs

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Venture, as I explained to S-R...Dajuan edited it. A LOT.

Rule one for newbs- read all posts in a thread before replying to it. [face_devil]

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Touche. But he called it a bait thread after the edits, which would imply that it still is one.

3. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Authors note: Didn't mean for it to come across as a flame/bait thread, in all honesty. It was meant to be amusing with actual valid points. *shrug* I'll be straight to the point without any attempt at humor in the future regarding this thread, I suppose. Appologies for any offended by it.

4. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    Hello, I am a Star Wars fan. Are there any others on these boards who are Star Wars fans? Does anybody know who obi-wan kenobi is?

I think n00bs will find out there selves what is appropriate on this boards. But it was amuzing to read!!

5. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Appologies for any offended by it.

Ari there's no need to apologize. Some people on both sides of the fence just get carried away with themselves.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I think this is a really good idea for true n00bs.

I don't consider myself to be a n00b as I'm an 03'er but I am reletively new to the games board as I've only just started playing again.

With this being a close knit group as well it looks like it could be difficult to become one with the group (the only person I've seen do this recently is MariahJSkywalker).

I'll be honest I don't have the time or the inclination to try overly hard to win anyone round but I do try to follow good posting habits when I do post on this board so I don't offend anyone.

This is what n00bs need to look at doing and I think Aragorn has hit the nail on the head and has got that point across very well =D=

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I wish more people like Burt would post and ask to join us in the games :(

The last person who I spoke with who wanted to play with us could scarcely speak english (o dmn i ht ppl w tlk lk ts a txt msg), and wanted me to help him download KOTOR.
    *shudder*

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Downloaded KOTOR, would that be to go with his new processor and graphics card he downloaded as well????

Yes I have a decent idea of your windups as well.

It amazes me how many people fall for it though.

Solo. I don't really know what games you play regularly that I have or what genre's etc.. that people here follow.
    I know I've been lax in not approaching anyone but I've never really got involved in online gaming, I've found through bitter experience that it's in the main FPS online and new players in that set up get destroyed both online and verbally which doesn't really appeal and I didn't want to go through all that again just to play an area of a game that I can do with bots. I don't mind being hammered online if I'm playing against or with people I know (of a sorts).

If anyone could let me know what you do play online (or point me in the direction of a thread which covers this) then I'll have a look and see what I have or would be interested in buying that fits the bill.

9. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
  10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Cheers

I'll have a look when I'm home from work.

11. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Thanks Aragorn. I had hoped you didn't mean it intentionally cruelly. :)

I have to agree with SC though, if anyone wants to join in on our games and so forth, there's no need to feel you need to "work" to be a part of our clique. As far as I am concerned we are NOT a clique, and anyone who has an interest in gaming is welcome to post in the MP thread with their IM info (or PM it to me), and you will be invited to join games.

The only thing we do ask of anyone is for them to be polite and respectful. We have had trouble with newbs in the past who we've invited to join our games, and who have gone on to assume for some reason they're in charge and told everyone else what to do and how to do it and demanded special privelages for themselves. This is NOT cool.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm not the best gamer so I generally follow the lead until I get a better feel for it myself (doesn't usually take too long)

I think anyone new to a group asking for privileges though is rude and should definately be discouraged.

13. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I was very much like that when I first came on here. Unfortunately I don't get the chance to play as often as most of the crew here (damn real life! :p ) but when I do it's always fun.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm always happy to find more cannon fodd.. er.. players for GBG at least :) I'm not so good at JK or JO (never played them MP yet). Hanging out in the MP thread or the lounge is a good way to get to know the group and find gaming buddies if that's what you seek. We are quick to drop selfish, annoying, or rude players though so be warned. Those types are no fun to play with.

15. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I don't consider myself to be a n00b as I'm an 03'er

That's the second sign of being a n00b. Believing you are not one.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm not an oldby more a midby but I do accept I am a n00b to the games forum.

I do however want to avoid the usual n00by errors with you guys.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You mean like the rather familar first line of your sig?

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I did indeed borrow that sig from you as I think it is a fantastic truism.

At one time it said, "A wise man once said ....." but I've since added to it and had to lose the addition.

If you object to me borrowing it I will remove it from my sig and plead for mercy.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No, I don't mind. Though I wish you'd PM'd me when you decided to start using it, as a courtesy.

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm sorry...

It won't happen again.

I never thought to PM you though, very bad manners on my part, but it is a good sig.

Heading back to topic.

Have there been any other balls ups that n00bs to the games forum have done (or n00bs in general) other than the usual being rude etc... so they all have an idea what to avoid doing so they don't piss you all off?

21. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Oh JP lighten up!

If you've ever played KotOR you'll know what I mean when I say JP=Jolee

:p

Dajuan! You HAVE to play JK with us!!! I forgot you had the game. Get the mods, we're playing. It's settled.

(note to newbs: This is how you DONT want to act when looking to join the Games. I can do it because I've been here longer than everyone and I'm just cool like that. :p)

22. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Let it be known that this thread is now a sticky.

I love Zerosleep he fixed the sticky problem + made it so we can edit the subject and make any thread a sticky. All because I asked.

23. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah,ummm, I just not sure about that one. Ya see,I am still having the sticky problem, so if you could just, go ahead and, fix it, that would be greeeaat. Mmmmmkay?
    Thanks a bunch VENTURE MAN.

24. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    If you've ever played KotOR you'll know what I mean when I say JP=Jolee

LMAO Daj that is so true.

25. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    On topic:

I don't think no one likes me here at Games though. I think it is because I am new.

There are some specific people we don't like at this point, and it's not because they're new. (No names being mentioned, but the person who posted this in another thread doesn't annoy me, to be clear) As several other posters mentioned in response to this, lurking for a bit might make it easier to post in the Games forum.

Once you've gotten down the fact that redundant threads are the major annoyance here, you've realized a major things, you should be fine, postingwise. However, the social threads are a tad different. You might want to lurk in them for a bit longer than normal before replying, as there's a lot of inside jokes that you won't get. Try joining an AIM chat we have going some time, as that's a good way to get to know the various posters of the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.