main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Steve Blum should totally voice Sidious in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seltraeh, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Seltraeh

Seltraeh Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2014
    After hearing his Starscream voice, I'm completely convinced he would be the perfect Sidious. So what if he's used the same villainous, snakelike voice for Starscream, Green Goblin, Vilgax and lots more? It's awesome! Besides, they already got him voicing Zeb so it's actually within the realm of possibility

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'd put forward Sam Witwer myself...

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It's rumored that Sam witwer is doing it.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Would be pretty okay with Witwer, but ever since Ian Abercrombie died i thought Tim Curry was the go-to guy? Or was that just really short-lived?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So did I but I guess since the fans did not like his voice they axed him.

6. Seltraeh

Seltraeh Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2014
    I'm always surprised by how many people enjoy Sam Witwer's Sidious...He was an amazing Starkiller and Darth Maul but I always thought his Sidious voice felt super forced

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't like it but it's rumored by a trusty source so.

8. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them get Ian McDiarmid, considering all the other movie actors they've gotten to do voices.

9. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    I'd like Witwer to do it. To me, he has a perfect "Sidious drunk on UNLIMITED POWAH" voice, which is what we need for this time in Rebels.

Vialco and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I wantex Steve Blum to do Kanan with a Spike Spiegel voice.

11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Up until recently, a lot of the stormtroopers in the show have had his Spiek Spiegel voice IMO. Man I really want to go watch Cowboy Bebop now......

12. mratm23

May 13, 2014
    A similar voice, yeah. I wish they wouldn't use him so often for troopers though.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

They switch between him DF and FPJ i believe with the stormtrooper voices.

14. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    CURRY!!!! UNLIIIIIMITTTEDDDD.....CURRRYYYYYY!!!!

It's either him, Steve Blum or Sam Witwer. If there's anyone I wouldn't suggest, it's Nick Jameson. To me, his scratchy-voice Palpatine felt very forced and sounded nothing like Palpatine.

Whoever voices Palpatine next, I don't think any of them could match Ian McDiarmid as well as Ian Abercrombie did (unless one of them surprises me).

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There are some things that Witwer says in the Palpatine voice that sound OK. Because when The Son tells Anakins "We will destroy the Sith, and the Jedi" he slips into a Palpatine voice for "and the Jedi" that actually sounded pretty good. But in TFU there are many points where I'm really not too impressed. I mean, it's still closer to what we got in the films than Curry, and it's more true to the films than the Starscream voice (had to look that one up).

I think Witwer can do it, I just think he has to slow it down a bit. Palpatine had a relaxed way of saying things and would extend out certain vowels.

Octavian Dibar likes this.
  16. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    TaradosGon

Relaxed, definitely. He also sounds like he's savoring each word he's speaking, especially when things are going as planned.

His manner of speaking almost reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker. Just without the crazy.

TaradosGon likes this.
  17. mratm23

May 13, 2014
    Witwer is the man. He did sound forced, but with the options people are presenting here, I'd pick him. Curry sounded very awkward to me. Maybe it was cause he took over for Abercrombie (right?) and I never got used to it because Season 6 was so short.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Steve Blum is well, Steve Blum. He could easily do a decent Sheev voice. Although I agree that it'd probably be closer (though not the exact same) to his Starscream voice than to his Spike Spiegel voice. The guy voiced three different characters in Digimon Tamers, and they all sounded different from each other. He could pull this off.

19. Mojo120

Mojo120 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2014
    Steve Blum is a great VA, and he can definitely voice villains in an intimidating way. But I don't really know if he can do a voice as growly as Sidious.

20. Seltraeh

Seltraeh Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2014
    Yup

On a somewhat unrelated note, someone PLEASE tell me Sheev isn't canon...

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I just find that name to be hilarious, so I shall always refer to him as "Sheev" from now on.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I always say Sheev because it's just hilarious.

24. Seltraeh

Seltraeh Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2014
    Well no wonder he goes by so many friggin names...(Palpatine, Darth Sidious, The Emperor) He's trying to cover up his embarrassing first name XD

25. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
    I think that is indeed why many disliked the Curry voice. We just got used to Abercrombie, who was also a very good voice actor leaving a lasting impression.
    On the other hand, Curry somehow did not sound like Palpatine. I cannot really say why, but that was my impression.

I for one treat the new books and non-TV/movie media the same way the old EU/C-Canon (i.e. non-TV/movie media) was treated: valid until overwritten by on-screen media. I know the post-Disney take over franchise tries to coordinate the different media better, but sooner or later they'll run into the same problems the old C-Canon did.
    And I dearly hope the name Sheev will suffer the same fate as the name Korriban.