main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mastadge, Jan 3, 2006.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    There's fanmade world maps that are semi-helpful, although there's debate over the placement of an entire continent (!). There should be a map of Genabackis in GotM; if not, I can try to find one when I get home from class.

Honestly Night of Knives is underwhelming. Esselmont's spin-off novels improve as he writes more of them, but his earlier stuff is nothing compared to Erikson. Then again, I place Erikson above Martin, so my opinion might be skewed.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk 2

2. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Esslemont's work gets progressively better...though I didn't care for Blood and Bone; with the exception of certain scenes.

I also prefer Erikson to Martin...although a bit different. Erikson's novels in the Malazan Series are superior to Esslemont's , but some storylines in Esslemont's books are really good.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Really looking forward to Assail.

Everyone here does know of Willful Child, don't they? Just in case....

GO READ THIS: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/steven-erikson-willful-child-preview

4. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I am looking forward to Assail as well. Hoping some loose threads get tied up...or at least some more questions answered...

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i can already tell im going to like erikson better than martin. probably aspect for why i love this book so much instantly is because erikson and i share a way of looking at the world. as far as i know this is the first fantasy or sci-fi novel ive read by someone trained in anthropology and it really shows

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That and Erikson tends to be able to actually keep to a timetable!

Volderon likes this.
  7. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Right!

Erikson produces 700 to 1000 page novels every 1-2 years...

We might get Winds of Winter ...when...2-3 years from now?

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    is that martin's current estimate? or is he still refusing to make an estimate? lol. yeah didnt this series start in the 2000s?

9. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Thats cuz Erikson is, you know, a professional.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i think this is another thing i feel comfortable attributing to his background in anthropology. we write a LOT of papers :p

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You're an anthropologist, Rogue?

I'm pretty sure somebody's already named all the spiders.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  12. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Have you guys read Forge of Darkness yet?

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    is that even available stateside? i never see it in stores in the malazan section lol

14. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Lol...yeah it's been out for awhile.

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Hooo boy, if you think his anthropologist training shows through in Gardens of the Moon, wait til you hit House of Chains. If you continue to enjoy it, you should read the interviews that TOR does with him after they finish a book in the ongoing reread. He explains exactly why he made a lot of the choices he did in writing it, and it's fascinating. The aforementioned House of Chains is a deconstruction of the barbarian in fantasy, from an anthropological perspective.

Forge of Darkness is good, if very slow at first. I'd recommend reading the whole series beforehand- Erikson has said that it might work better if you've never read Malazan apparently, but there's a lot in it that seems superfluous if you haven't read the Book of the Fallen. There's also some stuff in it that makes the timeline even more confusing, but Erikson has never been too attached to timeline details. This isn't the EU, after all.

16. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I enjoyed FOD...it is interesting learning about past events that later come to a head in the MBOTF.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, got the hardback of Forge of Darkness but finding it harder to remember stories 2-3 years later so am being extra-patient!

So, Winds of Winter is Book 3? Nice title, when I've got that, I'll work my way through the trilogy!

And yeah, 2-3 years is him being leisurely!

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Winds of Winter is the next Martin novel. The joke is that Martin takes longer to write each successive novel.

Unlike Erikson, who can maintain a steady level of quality at a 1000-page-per-year pace.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, thanks.

20. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I read Forge of Darkness after reading The Crippled God...so the Tiste Andii were fresh in my mind...

The MBOTF is a good reference for the Kharkanas trilogy...but I found that I assumed too much...Erikson surprised me with some of the reveals.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    The biggest surprise I had with FoD was how Scara Bandaris was characterized. Though the identities of several of the Azathanai were also interesting.

22. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I want to see how the eventual showdown with Rake and Draconus plays out.

TheModFavorite likes this.
  23. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I think I was on the fourth book before I stopped for a bit. I loved Chain of Dogs and the march, that was fantastic. And Memories of Ice was superb and my favourite, but the next one I couldn't get into.

24. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I think a lot of people have the same reaction to HOC...but stick with it, Karsa has one of the most interesting character arcs.

25. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    HOC put me off continuing the series for a number of years. It was only last year that I borrowed Midnight Tides, which was surprisingly entertaining. That's another book where Eriksson's anthropological knowledge shines through.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.