main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mastadge, Jan 3, 2006.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I got bored of his 'I'm invincible' shtick pretty quick though.

2. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

I think he loses that in his travels and experiences....There are some good conversations in The Bonehunters, with Samar Dev, that show he has grown a little....and he was rocked at the end of Toll The Hounds.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    COOOOooooOOOooollllllltttTTAAAAAIIIIIIIiiiiinnNNNNnnnnNNNNNNEEEEEE

4. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    That about sums it up...

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

^this is me reading the last ~100 pages or so of deadhouse gates

Darth_Smeagol and DRHJ9 like this.
  6. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    DG was my favorite book in the series....but heartbreaking.

It was also one of the most important novels, in that the Bonehunters were trying to live up to the 7th for the rest of the series.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    WWWWHHHHHIIIIISSSSKKKKEEEEYyyyyyyyyyyjjjjjJJJJJJjjjaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    ive barely started the karsa orlong parts of house of chains and im already quite excited for the prospect of a sequel trilogy based around him (as erikson has previously hinted). honestly, its more exciting to me than the idea of a tiste trilogy, but maybe that's because ive barely seen the tiste edur and the tiste liosan at this point

i have no idea why anyone would be put off the books by him. so far the whole thing is basically a farce. we're meant to be laughing at karsa's brutality and arrogance and ultimate inability to live up to his own standards. like his whole fedora attitude to dayliss only to have it hilariously revealed (to the reader by his patron gods, no less) that the other dude's already impregnated her and won her favor. also karsa's sort of petulence and brattiness towards his father is hysterical ("so i am to walk then?"). its like bauchelain and korbal broach in the last book, but played a bit more subtly. its brilliant satire of the sword and sorcery genre, and i love it

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, sad to say, but, overall, would have to class Assail as quite disappointing.

Hopefully Erikson can revive things with the Kharkanas trilogy.

10. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Best order to read Erikson and Esslemont in? Not bothering with the novellas or Forge of Darkness yet. The library has ordered new copies of GOTM and DG, but will have to order the rest.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a tough one, there's several guides on the net you could seek out.

12. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I know the main books are pretty much chronological save for Midnight Tides and I know where Night of Knives/Return of the Crimson Guard fall, but no idea where Esslemont's last four books fall with TTH/DOD/TCG.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    We have a cover, encouraging:
    [​IMG]

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    encouraging because you were worried it would be too long a wait or encouraging because its a good cover?

i think erikson has a deece track-record on publishing right? i mean he put out that scifi book earlier this year so its not surprising we've had a bit of a wait between malazan material

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    upping for Point Given to give us his impressions. maybe dont actually read the thread yet tho as it is spoilery

Point Given likes this.
  17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

RC-1991 told me that once he finished Deadhouse Gates, he knew Malazan was going to be an amazing series. Right now I'm at the upcoming battle at the River P'atha, just after Duiker's thoughts on how he'd rather die in an umarked grave; forgotten, rather than be revered on the List of the Fallen. I figured that was a good place to stop.

I'm trying not to get too emotionally invested in the characters, although I'm failing in that. I'm nervous though, as I can't help but feel that something is going to go terribly wrong, especially to Apsalar, and by extension, Crokus. Kalam, I'm sure can handle himself, though I think bad things will probably happen to Fiddler. And I'm very interested to see where Icarium's and Mappo's story is going as he gets closer to unlocking his memories. It's getting late so I'll give my impression of Gardens of the Moon another day, but I really liked Ganoes Paran in that, mainly because he kept on screwing over the gods and Anomander Rake (though I like the latter). Also I adore Coltaine since he's a stone cold mother******

And yeah, the Chain of Dogs is incredible! I actually described it to a friend as a fantasy Long March, and he was very intrigued.

Jedi Ben and Rogue_Ten like this.
  18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

So I'm done. I skipped my lunch break to read it, and powered through on the subway home. Some thoughts on the book, written as I think of them

First of all **** Mallick Rel and Pormqual. Well at least Mallick Rel was intelligent in his betrayal. Pormqual was just a stupid old coward. And those goddamn nobles too! At least Duiker killed Nethpara.

Poor Duiker...at least he might have some hope of surviving thanks to that bottle thing that Coltaine made him take from Baruk's merchants. I had to look that part up since I didin't understand the scene when I read it. But I certainly did understand the epilogue with the crows coming towards the pregnant widow. If baby Coltaine ages like Tattersail did in Gardens of the Moon, it's going to be very interesting.

I hope Crokus, Apsalar and her father have a happy ending, in that they don't show up again. Not because I dislike them, but because remaining off-page is indicative of a peaceful life it seems. I highly doubt that though, given Shadowthrone's remarks about Cotillion being pleased. Reading it closely, I wonder if Shadowthrone didn't send them back to the moment when Apsalar was possessed.

Felisin irritated the hell out of me for the first 2/3rds of the books, really until her reaction to Baudin's death. I understood why she was the way she was, but still. However, once she adopted the guise of Sha'ik she become much more interesting, especially how she was able to keep most of her own consciousness alive. For a while I didn't know if she'd actually been possessed, and was pulling the ultimate acting job. Her words at the end to Heboric were heartbreaking.

Last thoughts:

I'm not sure where the story with Icarium and Mappo is going, but I liked it nonetheless.

Shadowthrone giving Kalam and Minala all of the 1,300 children was hilarious. He's certainly got an entertaining sense of humor.

Surprisingly awesome: Empress Laseen. I was not expecting that.

And despite its tragic end, the Chain of Dogs is one of the most amazing and epic plots I've ever read.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yay, now you get to read book three. which, at times, is the stronger of the two. i go back and forth in my assessment of them. i think the main thing is that the chain of dogs plotline by itself is so towering that its hard to beat but Memories of Ice is the stronger book overall.

did you tear your hair out in horror and anguish during the scene where coltaine was crucified and the sorceror was swatting away the crows coming for his soul? that scene is so ****ing intense. i re-read it the other night because of this conversation

Point Given and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Oh god that was intense, I wanted to mutter "oh please just give Coltaine this" but I was on the train, so I settled for reading intensely. I'm sure the people around me were thinking I was having an episode.

Rogue_Ten and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    DG is still may favorite book in the series. Heartbreaking and awesome. The part where Temul thought Coltaine was sending him away, not realizing Coltaine was grooming him to lead was just sad....

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    this conversation has me picking the book back up and trying to look for scenes that people describe. i can't find this one but while i was looking for it i stumbled across the scene where the Trygalle Trade Guild shows up out of the warrens and saves their bacon. the chain of dogs is so well crafted and punctuated with little rewards like that breaking up the grueling despair

23. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    It was told through Duiker's viewpoint..when Coltaine sent the refugees ahead

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah, it should be after the part where the desert warriors swoop in to help fight Dom and afterwards declare the Wickans to be the best fighters. and it should obviously be before duiker and co reach the city. but i skimmed around in that part of the book and didn't find it. ill look again later

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    interesting rando blog article about how ICE and SE logically arrived at a gender egalitarian but nonetheless medieval world by examining the effect that the widespread practice of healing magic would have on a society's development