main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mastadge, Jan 3, 2006.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't know about the current exchange rate (the stupid things change every day) but when I was in London last spring it was one pound = $1.82. I can't imagine that it's changed much. I'd say you'd be paying about $45 + shipping for both.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Superb novels, but they're already above market price as it is. The first three paperbacks were AUD$5 more subsequents $2. Your best bet is find an online Dymocks-class store who can order it in for personal pickup cheaper, as some do, or try Emporium.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    We had some visitors from the Netherlands over here and they use Euros and basicaly 1 of those were worht $2+ here. SO they went on a shopping spree needless to say with double their money.

4. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Does the annoying lapdog from DHG make any further appearances? I'd like to see it become one of the Hounds of Shadow.

5. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The surviving dogs have a small part in House of Chains. At the end, when the Malazan army and Whirlwind rebels ready to clash, Coltaine's grieving friends realise why the dogs were wandering around, and why they hadn't noticed it before. And what they were looking for. For in their grief they hadn't been hearing Raraku . . .

For the desert has . . . awakened.

That won't make any sense unless you've read the book, of course. But you gotta hand it to Erikson: he shocks you with Memories of Ice's least expected deaths . . . and then shocks you again, snapkick and out for a round.

6. Master_Palpy

Master_Palpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Raraku is alive!

The Malazan books are the the best fantasy books I've ever read!

I've got Midnight Tides today...and I've been grinning like an idiot while reading the kriffing prologue!

I think I owe you guys some sort of thanks, since I bought Gardens of the Moon after reading this thread.

So, thanks... [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I was grinning too. The prologue promises a showdown between Rake and Ossie. A pity it's offpage, and later in the book as a vision. But when you think about it, Midnight Tide's a prequel book, and its prologue many thousands of years earlier. You know neither will die, so a fight scene would have been redundent. And you're informed that Rake and the white Tiste may have a rivalry---and now you know why!---but there's almost a grudging respect exchanged, and neither will come to killing blows---perhaps yet.

Still, when Jaghut and deity exchanged that smile, that Anomander Rake was coming for that arrogant Tiste . . . I was smiling too.

Hey! The book has characters with secret identities, one of them prominent. Whatever you do, DON'T READ THE END before you get to it, or you'll spoil a cool surprise . . . like I was stupid enough to.

Don't worry, Midnight Tides may seem rather full of philosophical discourses and long winded, but you know the sparring kingdoms are heading for a showdown---and you'll get one between their most powerful wizards. But who will win? [face_whistling]

8. Master_Palpy

Nov 29, 2004
    I'm up to chapter ten by now. I'm really enjoying this book! It's good to see Trull Sengar again; he's becoming one of my favourite characters.

But Tehol and Bugg are stealing the show so far! :D They could even challenge the almighty Kruppe himself! [face_laugh]

And I certainly won't read the ending before I get there...I made that particular mistake with House of Chains...silly me. :oops:

9. Master_Palpy

Nov 29, 2004
    Please excuse the double post.

I have finished Midnight Tides. I love it. To tell the truth, Memories of Ice is probably still my favourite among the Malazan Books.

But the 5th is a very close second!

Just wow! I saw one or the other thing coming. But Rhulad? My favourite manservant?

I should praise Mr Erikson. There is no superlative to describe him.

=D= =D= =D=

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

He has a knack for cheeky humour. I very nearly laugh aloud at times. Like the end of Midnight Tides, when those two creatures chased the Fokrul Assail into a ground hole, one of the world's most lethal inhabitants. Curious how far it went, they dropped shorts and started peeing. [face_laugh]

One of my favourite pages was the confrontation between Onrack and the Tiste Liosan in House of Chains. I geuninely laughed the Sith Lords out of my pants.

And the gentlemens' chat in Memories of Ice, with Quick Ben and the two necromancers. The butler wondered why the wine tasted like blood, was told he did bring the blood bottle instead of wine. They're all chatting and probing each other with all the time in the world, when one of the necromancers apprises Ben his partner was taking a strong disliking to him, would probably attack at any moment, not to take it personally. And Ben's assurance that he wasn't, as he slammed seven whole warrens at his partner, crashing him through the wall.

11. Paladin307

Paladin307 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    At the end of Memories of Ice, did Silverfox actually free all the Imass or only Tool? Cuz they did mention that the other Imass wanted to go deal with the humans that were destroying their brethren to the far south.

12. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The undead dogs were freed to paradise. Tool was freed, and about to have his first xxx in 300,000yrs, by whatever an oily horny Barghast looks like. I've not reread the book after the first time, but I think they did want to deal with the "threat" that could fend off entire Imass armies first. I know that's dealt with in The Bonehunters, but haven't read it.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

So, NYCitygurl, did you ever get around to reading Gardens of the Moon?

14. Master_Palpy

Nov 29, 2004
    Kalam = Malak

I'm an idiot. Thanks for pointing that out, Excellence.

Next time I'm trashing Darth, I'll keep an eye out for a quick wizard who wants to struck me from behind... :p

And yes, the T'lan Imass (Logros, that is) + Silverfox went after the human empire that presented a threat to the other clans.

I have to say that Onos is my favourite character. I was speechless after a flesh and blood Tool spoke to the renamed Toc and asked him if he was alright after all that has happened. Best moment EVER!

15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I have gotten one of my co-workers to buy Gardens thru House. He is reading so damn slow though that I can't really talk about it with him yet.

16. Paladin307

Nov 24, 2004
    I'm a little confused, is Midnight Tides not out in the U.S. yet? I asked at Barnes and Noble and they said it was coming out in April and so did Amazon...

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That is correct. First American edition to be released April 17.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    No [face_blush] I've got a ton of books sitting on my floor and waiting to be read. I may or may not get it read over break; if not, I'll probably wait until spring break.

19. Paladin307

Nov 24, 2004
    Is there any way to get the book before that?

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You can order it from Amazon UK or another place in Britain or Australia that ships to the US.

21. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Probably easier to get it from amazon.ca, some of the new & used even ship from the US.

22. Master_Palpy

Nov 29, 2004
    So, has anyone read the Bonehunters yet?

I got it as a Christmas present and I read it in less than three days. Is someone interessed in discussion?

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Just finished Midnight Tides, so only Bonehunters to go. I'm actually disappointed, I've torn through the last 3 books in a few days each. All excellent, I think MT has been my favourite so far even if the timeline is a little screwy. Bugg and Tehol are hilarious.

I'm glad there's still a few books to go, seems to be a lot to join together still.

24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Did you get MT from over seas?

I'm still waiting on the 4/18/07 U.S. release date.

As far as the timeline goes....exactly how far back in time is it? I have been getting the feeling that it is Thousands of yrs. Is that right?

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm in Australia, we don't have to import them :p

I think it's only a few months because (very minor spoiler) the dead Tiste Edur that the army finds near Coral in Memories of Ice is killed in this book, and he wasn't decomposed much IIRC. But the timeline is fairly open for MT, I think, because the Edur live so long.