main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Steven Spielberg

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I consider both George Lucas and Spielberg to be the best of the best. But I focus on Spielberg in this thread because he has had a larger body of work over the years. His most recent of coarse being Minority Report. In the past he has done classics as Saving Private Ryan, Indiana Jones, E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, A.I., Jaws, and Schindler's List. His work has spanned three and a half amazing decades, in which he has done epic films that will long be remembered long into the future.

Spielberg is a great director, and an incredible visionary. He's done well ;)

ST

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I agree with that. He's been a remarkable director over the years. My home state (Arizona) has long been proud to say he grew up here. You should see some of his childhood videos, which were interesting to say the least. He used actual planes on a local Air Force base here, and often filmed in the desert. You can see his innovative ways even then.

3. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Yes, I agree, though I wouldn't quite say AI was a classic. Very good, certainly above standard for movies these days, but not quite on the level of Indiana Jones or Schnidler's List. Dunno why, it just didn't seem as momentus or imaginative. It probably would have been bigger if Stanley Kubrik had managed to get around to having it produced when he originally began working on the script.

4. Bossk_WookieHunter

Bossk_WookieHunter Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2002
    There is no doubt that Spielberg is one of the all time greats.

As for Artificial Intelligence,I think that it would have been something really special if Kubrick had of completed it.

5. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Spielberg is the best director living today. His films have captivated the general public's imagination more than any other films today except maybe Star Wars.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    And even with Star Wars there is irony, because they have been made by one of Spielberg's closest friends.

7. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Let's just say the man has earned my respect and that's not easily done.

~PAd

8. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    He is my favorite, director, he really does a great job!

:) DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Steven Spielberg is wildly inconsistent. His early movies tended to be great. Jaws, E.T., Raiders, etc. And several of his later ones are great. But recently he's seemed to be making some pretty crappy movies, with The Lost World, A.I., Saving Private Ryan and what-have-you.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    You'll have to forgive me if I consider Saving Private Ryan to be an excellent film, and Minority Report to be a very good one as well.

11. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Spielberg has done some of his best work in recent years. AI, Schindler's List, and Minority Report are amoung his best. Sure there was Hook and Lost World but what director hasn't had projects that didn't go over well.

We tend to blame the director always when a film is bad. Especially if it's a big name director.

12. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but I have to say Mastadge is the first person I've encountered thus far who did not care for Saving Private Ryan.

Looking at Spielberg's filmography at IMDB, I've seen 15 of his films, including Duel, one of his earliest. I was lucky enough to catch it on a Sunday afternoon cable matinee. For a rookie director, it's quite an accomplishment. He manages to maintain the tension throughout, and I thought Dennis Weaver did a great job as the confused man hunted by an insane trucker.

13. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Count me in as one who does not enjoy Saving Private Ryan. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was an amazingly detailed look at WW2 when I first saw it, but on repeated viewings, I've come to look at it as just another Tom Hanks star vehicle. There are other war films that carry the same message that SPR has and do it so much better. I walked out of SPR in a daze that a friend described as similar to shellshock, which is the sort of feeling I get from films such as Das Boot and even Schindler's List, and I can watch those films many times and still feel the same way.

14. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Saving Private Ryan was a crappy movie? Okaaaay...

I will agree that Spielburg [sic] is probably the best director in Hollywood, but as Mas said, wildly inconsistant. I have seen more of his movies than just about any other director, and have enjoyed most of them. Well, everything except Lost World.

But I don't agree that Lucas is anywhere in Spielberg's league. I think Spielberg is more creative, better at getting what he wants out of an actor, and a better technical director. Plus, where would we be without classic Spielbergisms like flashlights lancing through fog and people reacting to things?

15. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park isn't a bad movie, it's just not a great movie that people would expect from Spielberg.

"I think Spielberg is more creative, better at getting what he wants out of an actor, and a better technical director."

Well, Lucas' major talent is in the technical department so I guess Lucas may have some advantages over Spielberg in that.

;)

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Anyone think that since AI, we've been seeing a different director?

Even the upcoming, Catch Me If You Can trailer has a different feel to his other films. As far as I can tell from a trailer. :)

17. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Steven Spielberg is a very talented director, and I've got a lot of respect for him. My only problem with him is that he can be terribly melodramatic at times (such as the part in Schindler's List where Oskar breaks down in tears, the end of ET and the end of AI, but as he's done some really fantastic films, I'm quite prepared to forgive him for that. :)

18. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    I didn't think Schindler breaking down was melodramatic... in fact, I think it was very real. I would have felt the exact same way were I in his position.

Also, the ending to A.I. was not "melodrama" on account of Spielberg... it was specifically preconceived by Kubrick himself. Most people think it's a Spielberg-ified ending... but it's not. Kubrick himself had specifically outlined how he wanted A.I. to end, and Spielberg followed his instructions on the ending, virtually note for note.

I think making a Kubrick film has changed Spielberg for the better... It is a perfectly timed move which has allowed him to break free from formulae and prevented him the danger of being typecast as a director.

19. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    Spielberg is definitely my favourite director, no hesitation in saying that. The changes in tone of his most recent films just illustrates his versatility and his desire to branch out.

20. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Am I the only person on Earth who thinks ET is overrated? I liked it sure, but it's being held up as some sort of masterpiece. I don't know why. The acting wasn't that great, I thought it had some seriously slow moments and it had the biggest tearjerker try-hard ending I've ever seen.

Anyway - Spielberg has definitely made some extremely good films. They cover over his shockers very well.

21. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I have to agree with you. Minority Report was one of the best films that I have seen recently, and I can't wait to see it again.

A.I. was pretty good, but I think that the plot should have been worked over some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.