main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Still Be There" (J/J, K/J, angst, post-NJO) Finished! Last Chapter 09 Sep 12!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I know, I know . . . this makes 9 stories in progress. But "Fall In Time" is almost complete, I just hit a snaggy spot.

This is another multi-chapter songfic. This one has a prologue and nine chapters.

PM List
    Ceillean
    angry_bendu1

[B]Title:[/B] Still Be There
    [B]Author(s):[/B] DantanaSkywalker
    [B]Timeframe:[/B] post-NJO
    [B]Characters:[/B] Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo, Jagged Fel
    [B]Genre:[/B] angst, romance
    [B]Keywords:[/B] J/J, K/J, character death, angst
    [B]Summary:[/B] Two friends deal with loss and hope. I hate summaries.
    [B]Notes:[/B] Song lyrics are "When The Heartache Ends" by Rob Thomas, off of the album "...something to be". And yes, I know this has J/J mush in it. No, I'm not crazy. ;)

[B]--Prologue--[/B]

The ballroom was crowded. Jaina smothered a nervous giggle and gripped her new husband's hand tightly. He smiled down at her, faintly, his green eyes filled with love for her.

"You ready to do this?" he asked.

She nodded. "Let's do it."

She patted at her up-do, and then smoothed the skirt of her wedding dress. He pulled her forward as he shoved the doors open.

The best man, who had been watching for their entrance, stood from the head table, glass of pale blue champagne raised, and said, "Presenting . . . Mr. and Mrs. Jagged Fel!"

The applause was nearly deafening, half of the guests pilots they'd served with in the war. Jaina blushed, laughing, and wrapped her arms around Jag's waist. He pulled her onto the floor for their first dance.

After she danced with Jag, she danced with her father. She was looking for Jag when a warm hand closed around hers, and she looked up into another set of green eyes. She let him lead her into another song.

"You look happy," Kyp Durron said.

"Surprised?" she asked.

He shook his head, a genuine smile on his sharp features. "Not really. I mean, I always planned to steal you away from Captain Cardboard, but I never saw an opening."

He said it with a grin, and she laughed. Then her smile faltered. "Are you okay?" she asked. "I mean, with this?"

Kyp looked down at their feet. Her shoes were almost hidden by the lacy skirt of her dress. "That's quite a dress," he commented. "Frills, lace, poufy skirt . . . I think there's enough shiny beading on your dress to make you visible from space."

Jaina snorted. "Quit stalling."

He looked back up, somewhat reluctantly. "Yeah. I guess. I'm happy for you, I really am. Seeing you happy makes me happy."

She frowned a little.

Kyp shook his head. "Don't worry about it, Goddess. I'll live. I mean, if I really had a problem with it, I would have absconded with you instead of agreeing to be best man."

She laughed. "You're my best friend, Kyp, you know that?"

"Isn't Jag supposed to be your best friend?" he asked.

Jaina opened her mouth to reply, but Jag materialised beside them as if summoned. He grinned at Kyp.

"I held off as long as I could," the younger man said. "The song's about to end . . . can I have my wife back?"

Kyp quirked a lopsided smile. "Yeah, sure."

He released Jaina, and stepped back. His smile faded as Jag took his place. He didn't fail to notice how Jaina beamed at Jag, despite the conversation they'd just been having.

He sighed, and glanced around the room for a new partner. He spotted Danni Quee off to one side, sitting by herself with a cup of punch, and dove through the crowd towards her.

----------

When the groom tossed the garter, Kyp caught it.

[hr]

Dana

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Kyp looked down at their feet. Her shoes were almost hidden by the lacy skirt of her dress. "That's quite a dress," he commented. "Frills, lace, poufy skirt . . . I think there's enough shiny beading on your dress to make you visible from space."

It would have been cool if you had him say "I like your sleeves; they're real big."

:p

Good start. Jaina's statement about "her bestman" is a bet revealing. I have a feeling this is going to be a short marriage :p Good post, Dantana, looking forward to more :)

3. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    Heehee. Another fic! :D *dances shamelessly*

Ooh. Off to a good start. I know this one's gonna be a tear-jerker. It will be. It has that aura about it.

Loved it so far! Keep it up! :D

~*~Austyn

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    YodaKenobi - It would have been cool if you had him say "I like your sleeves; they're real big."

LOL!

Good start. Jaina's statement about "her bestman" is a bet revealing. I have a feeling this is going to be a short marriage tongue Good post, Dantana, looking forward to more happy

Thanks. As for a "short marriage" . . . LOL! Well, you'll see soon.

Daughterofflame - Heehee. Another fic! grin *dances shamelessly*

:D

Ooh. Off to a good start. I know this one's gonna be a tear-jerker. It will be. It has that aura about it.

*points to subject* And it says "angst" there and "character death" in the keywords. :p

Loved it so far! Keep it up! grin

Thanks. :) Working on Chapter 1 right now.

Dana

5. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
  6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    padawan lunetta - Nice start

Thanks.

Chapter 1 in a moment.

Dana

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    *puts out boxes of tissues* You're gonna need these for this and the next few chapters.

[b]--Chapter One--[/b]

[i]It's never easy and you never know
    What leaves you crying
    And what makes you whole
    There ain't no way that I can hold it down
    Falling to pieces
    Forever in doubt

-- Rob Thomas, "When The Heartache Ends"[/i]

"No! No no no no no!"

Jag paused in lifting his mug of caf, and glanced at Kyp, who was leaning on the other side of the counter. The Jedi Master looked amused.

"That's generally one of the first three words they learn," he said.

"Her first," Jag mused, "was 'Dada'. Her second was 'no'."

A naked toddler came streaking through the kitchen, still shouting "No!" at the top of her small lungs. Black hair was plastered to her head, still soapy. After her charged her mother, who wore approximately half a tub of water, and carried a large towel.

Kyp's lips twitched.

Jaina levelled narrowed brown eyes at him, the same colour as her daughter's. "Laugh and I'll strangle you with this towel."

He gestured, and two-and-a-half-year-old Natale Fel came floating in, a metre off the floor.

Jag shook his head. "Wish I had that ability sometimes," he said. "She gets into [i]everything[/i]."

"Imagine two of her. Oh, wait, you've also got Jaina. Never mind," Kyp muttered, as Jaina wrapped the child in the towel. He didn't see her reach out until she smacked him upside the head. "Ow!"

Jag nearly spit out a mouthful of caf as he laughed.

Kyp gave him an evil look.

Jaina rolled her eyes. "I'm going to go rinse off the monkey-lizard."

Her husband snaked an arm around her waist as she went past. He pulled her close and kissed her. Natale giggled; Kyp looked away.

"I've got to go," Jag said. He plucked at the front of Jaina's tunic, looking rueful. "Have that meeting on Csilla."

"Like I could forget," she said quietly. "Have you considered resigning?"

"Many times." Jag stood, setting down his mug, and pulled her close again, his arm around their daughter. The perfect family. He kissed Jaina's upturned mouth, then his daughter's cheek. "Be good for Mommy, Nat, while Daddy's gone."

The toddler frowned, tears filling her large eyes. "No go, Daddy," she said. "Stay!"

"Can't, sweetheart. But I'll bring you presents from Grandma and Grandpa, okay?"

Natale's chin quivered. "'Kay."

Jag glanced at Kyp. "Bribery always works," he murmured.

"How long did it take you to figure that out?" the Jedi inquired, looking amused.

"You'd better go," Jaina said. She kissed Jag, then took Natale back to the 'fresher.

"You going to bring me a present, too?" Kyp asked, grinning.

Jag snorted.

Kyp stood, and extended his hand to the other man. "I'll watch over them."

The younger man clasped his hand. "You'd better. I don't know how long I'm going to be gone. I told Jaina it was a meeting, but . . . Well, I can't talk about it. Top secret. Please . . . don't tell Jaina. I don't want to worry her."

Kyp nodded. "I understand."

Jag's pale green eyes went towards the hallway, where Jaina had passed. A muscle in his jaw ticced, and he closed his eyes. "I'd better go."

He turned and picked up his bag.

----------

"Unckie Kyp?"

"Yeah?"

"When Daddy comin' back?"

Kyp glanced at the child, who was currently trouncing him in the board game they were playing. Force-sensitive, with her father's analytical mind, and every one of the SOlo traits, made for a dangerous combination. Not to mention she was the cutest kid he'd ever seen, besides Jaina herself at this age.

"Soon," he said.

No one knew, actually. Jag had been gone a month, on a mission that he'd told Jaina would be two weeks at the most. Jaina's efforts to reach him on Csilla had met with dead ends. His parents didn't know where he was, and the goverment on Csilla wouldn't divulge anything.

Kyp felt guilty, watching Jaina worry, but having sworn not to tell her what her husband had confided in him.

"I miss Daddy," Natale said.

"I know, kiddo," he said. He glanced at the chron

8. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    awwww that was sad. *takes tissue from box* poor Jaina is left to raise Natalie alone. No wait, Kyp's there.

More Please

9. Daughterofflame

Sep 11, 2003
    Gah! You killed him! Already! :p Well, ok, so the fact that Jag was going to exit the picture soon, but darnit, you were making me like him! *glares* You're not supposed to do that, Dana.

And you went for the sudden way rather than the slow. Heh. I guess it was both. Sorta?

Great job. I really felt bad for Jaina. She never has angst-free stories, does she? Kinda goes with the whole "Sword of the Jedi" thingy or whatever. (Or the fact that the canon gave us three potential lovers to work with. Whatever. :p )

You know I'd love to see more soon. :D

~*~Austyn

10. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    Ahh! More fanfic. And such an ending too. :)

Jag and Jaina, its so devastating and not what I thought it would be in the begining. I can't wait until you post Kyp's reaction.

I like this alot Dana, post more soon please.

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    princess_melissa - awwww that was sad. *takes tissue from box* poor Jaina is left to raise Natalie alone. No wait, Kyp's there.

*cough* *choke* That was sooner than I expected that to pop up :p

More Please

I'll do my best. :)

Daughterofflame - Gah! You killed him! Already! tongue Well, ok, so the fact that Jag was going to exit the picture soon, but darnit, you were making me like him! *glares* You're not supposed to do that, Dana.

LOL! I know, I had a hard time doing it when it came to actually killing him.

And you went for the sudden way rather than the slow. Heh. I guess it was both. Sorta?

Er . . . I suppose.

Great job. I really felt bad for Jaina. She never has angst-free stories, does she? Kinda goes with the whole "Sword of the Jedi" thingy or whatever. (Or the fact that the canon gave us three potential lovers to work with. Whatever. tongue )

LOL! Um . . . I think there've been a few angst-free ones.

You know I'd love to see more soon. grin

I know. :D And I'll try to get chapter 2 up pretty soon.

RevaDurron - Ahh! More fanfic. And such an ending too. happy

Heh, thanks.

Jag and Jaina, its so devastating and not what I thought it would be in the begining. I can't wait until you post Kyp's reaction.

What'd you think it'd be?

I like this alot Dana, post more soon please.

Thanks. :) I'll try.

Dana

12. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    Well at first I thought that Jag wouldn't die at all. I don't know maybe Jaina would realize that she didn't love Jag as much as she thought she did, something like that.

And if you think I am crazy, it is probably true-due to large amounts of school work. Anyway, can't wait for your next post. :)

13. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    :_|

I'm not a big Jag fan, but God, that's sad! Poor Jaina! Poor Natale! :_|

"... What am I going to do without him?"
    Marry Kyp. ;)

That's got to stink for Kyp, though... seeing the woman he loves so happily married, with a kid who calls him 'Unckie Kyp' (Natale is so cute, BTW)...

I'm looking forward to more!

14. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    :_| Ah! Jag's dead!

Nice job.

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    RevaDurron - Well at first I thought that Jag wouldn't die at all. I don't know maybe Jaina would realize that she didn't love Jag as much as she thought she did, something like that.

Like in my "Fidelis" series? Nah.

And if you think I am crazy, it is probably true-due to large amounts of school work. Anyway, can't wait for your next post. happy

I don't think you're crazy. :) School is an evil, brain-draining thing. ;)

Smuggler_Shidakis - cry
    I'm not a big Jag fan, but God, that's sad! Poor Jaina! Poor Natale! cry

Yeah. :(

"... What am I going to do without him?"
    Marry Kyp. wink

ROFL!

That's got to stink for Kyp, though... seeing the woman he loves so happily married, with a kid who calls him 'Unckie Kyp' (Natale is so cute, BTW)...

Thanks. :D She's not based on Cassia, though . . . she's a bit brattier. :p

I'm looking forward to more!

So am I. :p

FelsGoddess - :_| Ah! Jag's dead!

Yeah. He is.

Nice job.

Thanks. :)

Dana

16. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    :_| For Jaina and Natale!

Well, okay, for me too. I hate it when Jag dies. And he dies a lot.

Oh, well, I don't dislike Kyp as much as I used to.

Nonetheless, this is a great beginning! Can't wait to read more.

oldj

17. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ack, he's gone that quickly? :( Cute little girl...but still, ack!

Hey you aren't going to Pearl Harbor on us and have Jag return after they're together? ;)

NIce work.

18. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Jag's dead? What am I suppose to do with these tissues for? :p

19. EBrooklynW

EBrooklynW Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    I think I'm going to have to agree with YodaKenobi.

What am I supposed to do with these tissues? (Ok poor college student, it's napkins) OOO! I know, I'll blow my nose. Yes. But there are no tears.

And Please, Jag Laughing? I think I'm seriouly scarred from that one. :p ;)

Chocolate Covered Kyps for you!
    *hands them over*

~EBW

20. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    WOW. you *actually* married Jaina and Jag!

*Feels for a fever* ;) ;)

Hehehe, I like it though....even though Jaina married Jag.....

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    oldjedinurse - cry For Jaina and Natale!
    Well, okay, for me too. I hate it when Jag dies. And he dies a lot.

I don't think I've actually killed him before . . .

Oh, well, I don't dislike Kyp as much as I used to.

Good. :p

Nonetheless, this is a great beginning! Can't wait to read more.

Thank you. :)

padawan lunetta - Ack, he's gone that quickly? sad Cute little girl...but still, ack!

Yeah . . .

Hey you aren't going to Pearl Harbor on us and have Jag return after they're together? wink

LOL! No.

NIce work.

Thanks.

YodaKenobi - Jag's dead? What am I suppose to do with these tissues? tongue

Um . . . well, some might find it sad. :p

EBrooklynW - I think I'm going to have to agree with YodaKenobi.

:p

What am I supposed to do with these tissues? (Ok poor college student, it's napkins) OOO! I know, I'll blow my nose. Yes. But there are no tears.

Heh. Okay. ;)

And Please, Jag Laughing? I think I'm seriouly scarred from that one. :p wink

LOL!

Chocolate Covered Kyps for you!
    *hands them over*

Oooh, haven't had these in a while! Thanks. :D

C3SoloP0 - WOW. you *actually* married Jaina and Jag!

Yeah. Why's everyone staring at me? :p

*Feels for a fever* wink wink

LOL!

Hehehe, I like it though....even though Jaina married Jag.....

LOL. Well, she married Jag in "Fidelis" . . . ;)

Dana

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    *sets out new box of tissues* Some of you might need these. :p

[b]--Chapter Two--[/b]

[i]But it's alright
    Why don't you tell me again
    How you'll still be there
    When the heartache ends

-- Rob Thomas, "When The Heartache Ends"[/i]

Automatically, Kyp gathered Jaina into his arms and held her as she broke down, sobbing raggedly for the loss of her husband. He couldn't believe it. Jag had been around for nine years; it was a bit surreal to think that he was gone now.

He'd thought once that he'd feel happy to be rid of his rival, but as Kyp witnessed Jaina's grief, he felt nothing but sadness. Jaina had loved Jag, still loved him. Death didn't change that. The last thing Kyp wanted was for Jaina to be in pain.

"It's okay," he said, when she'd calmed a bit. "Do you want me to take Natale over to your parents' apartment? Will you be okay here?"

She shook her head. "No. I don't want to be alone."

"Okay." He smoothed her hair. "Would you like me to comm your mother?"

A moment, then she nodded. "Please."

She got up on shaky legs and went in to the kitchen, where Natale was banging the top of her high chair. Jaina concentrated on washing the little girl's face and hands, then picked her up and held her close.

She didn't know how to tell this child that the father she worshipped wasn't coming back. Jag wasn't ever going to tuck her in, or read her "Little Lost Bantha Cub", or eat Nat's vegetables when he thought Jaina wasn't looking.

Jaina was crying again, sitting on the floor, with Nat in her lap. Her daughter sensed her misery, but didn't know the cause. She was crying, too, but asking, "Mommy, why you crying?"

Kyp moved into view and took Nat. "C'mere, Nat. Grandma Leia's on her way to see you, let's leave Mommy alone for a minute, okay?"

"Why's Mommy crying?" Nat immediately asked Kyp.

"We'll talk about that in a bit, okay?" Kyp ushered Nat into her room and told her to play with her toys.

The initial shock was wearing off for Jaina, as it sank in fully that Jag was dead. He wasn't coming back. Ever. And she hadn't felt him go.

A chill ran over Kyp's skin, making all the hairs on his neck and arms stand on end, at the wail that came from the kitchen. Instintively, he knew it was Jaina, but it didn't [i]sound[/i] like Jaina.

As he sank down beside her on the cold tiles, he finally understood what Han had told him, years before, when Jaina's brother, Anakin, had died. How Leia had cried as if mortally wounded herself. How it had felt to watch her suffer and not know what to do.

Kyp was sitting on the floor with Jaina in his lap, Nat bawling in her bedroom, when Han and Leia came in. All he'd told them was that it was an emergency. He wasn't particularly surprised to see Luke and Mara follow Jaina's parents.

Immediately, Mara scowled at Kyp, but Leia recognised something in Jaina that only she could identify with. She knelt down and wrapped her arms around her daughter.

Kyp turned Jaina over to Leia and stood up. He pulled the flimsiplast sheet from his pocket and handed it to Han. "Jaina got this today."

Han read the two brief lines and went pale. "Oh, Jaina."

"What?" Mara asked.

"It's Jag," Luke said. He had a distant look in his eyes.

"Oh." The former assassin looked shaken. "Oh, no."

Kyp slipped past them to see to Natale. He wrapped her in her favourite quilt, and brought her out to see the family.

The little girl's eyes were red-rimmed, and she was sniffling, comforted by Kyp's familiar presence. But she lunged for Han when she saw him.

"This isn't very much information," Mara said, regaining her poise. "We should see if Wedge can get anything out of Soontir . . ."

Luke nodded.

On the floor, Jaina cried in her mother's arms.

----------

They took Jaina to the med centre for the night, for observation, and sedated her. Han and Leia took Natale, who still didn't know why her mommy was crying and still asked every timepart or so.

Kyp stayed at the med centre to watch over Jaina, fulfilling his promise to himself, a

23. Daughterofflame

Sep 11, 2003
    *steals tissue for Dana* Mine!

*wails* This is too sad!

~*~Austyn

24. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    NOOO!!!! YOU KILLED JAG!!! I CAN"T STANDS THIS!!!! WAAAH!!! *grabs a tissue*

Excellent 'fic, but you killed Jag!

KT

25. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh my word Dana that was so sad.
    Poor Jaina.
    Poor Natalie.

If you keep this up I'm going to need more tissues.

More soon please