main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Still Be There" (J/J, K/J, angst, post-NJO) Finished! Last Chapter 09 Sep 12!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm going to mimick Natale for a second:

"No! No no no no no!"

How could you? ::sobs:: You killed Jag! You meanie!

[face_not_talking]

Ok, I didn't mean that. It's really, really good, even though you killed Jag :):steals the tissue::). Jaina's characterization is perfect.

They say every man dies, but not every man really lives.

Braveheart quote alert!

2. Jedi_Alexis

Jedi_Alexis Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    :_| :_| :_|

I was just laughing at one of your stories and now it's like whiplash.

*sobs* You killed Jag! And it was sad! Usually I like when Jag is out of the picture so that Jaina and Kyp can get together but Jag was wonderful in this fic!

:_|

Great work! More please!

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    JediFalcon - cry cry thats so sad sad Poor Jaina poor Natalie poor Jag sad

Well, Jag's condition won't be improving, but Jaina's and Nat's will. :p

(Kyp/Jaina hookup?)

Eventually. ;)

more?

Also eventually.

FelsGoddess - They say every man dies, but not every man really lives. I think, with you, that I've really lived."
    cry Great job!

Thank you.

Fireyforce - cry Kyp shoved his hands in the pockets of the long coat he wore and looked down at the grave. He cleared his throat. "Well . . . if you ever need to fall apart, let me know and I'll pick up the pieces." that was soooooo sweet. *takes tissues* This is soooo sad!!!!

It'll get better, I promise.

oldjedinurse - cry
    Hate Jag / Love Jag - No one should die alone like that.

I know. Poor guy.

cry **cried out** Excellent writing, as usual.

Thank you. :)

DarthIshtar - *SNIFFSNIFFSNIFF* That's not exaggeration. I really am getting choked up at the way you write J/J. It's beautiful, even if it's slightly out of the norm for you. That message ripped my heart out and stomped around in soccer cleats on it for a while.

Heh. Sorry . . .

jasa - poor jag
    lying there knowing he will die

Yeah. That had to have sucked immensely.

DarthIshtar - And for 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had "Ladder 49" going through my head while I wrote this chapter . . .

Idrelle_Miocovani - I'm going to mimick Natale for a second:
    "No! No no no no no!"
    How could you? ::sobs:: You killed Jag! You meanie!
    not_talking

Actually, it was rather easy. :p

Ok, I didn't mean that. It's really, really good, even though you killed Jag :):steals the tissue::). Jaina's characterization is perfect.

Thanks.

They say every man dies, but not every man really lives.
    Braveheart quote alert!

Someone got it!

Jedi_Alexis - cry cry cry
    I was just laughing at one of your stories and now it's like whiplash.

Which one were you reading?

*sobs* You killed Jag! And it was sad! Usually I like when Jag is out of the picture so that Jaina and Kyp can get together but Jag was wonderful in this fic!

Thank you. Given that I'm not a Jag fan, I really appreciate that.

cry
    Great work! More please!

Soon. About to head out for church; I'll try to write more tonight.

Dana

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I could tell about "ladder 49," kinda. I won't be on IM for a day because the public computer in my new apartment doesn't have IM services and I need to buy an ethernet cable tomorrow. But I'll be checking vigilantly for more of this. And don't forget, hearts stomped on by soccer cleats are a GOOD sign! ;)

5. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    wow...sad posts....

I dunno...when I read fics where Jaina married Jag and then she goes to Kyp (even though I don't know if she will in this one) it always makes me think like Kyp shouldn't do it, because she's just going to him cuz Jag ain't there...I don't know if I make any sense....lol

Anywho! great posts!

6. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Poor Nattie!!

Very touching last words from Jag there. It's sweet that he thought about taking care of here even after he was dead.

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    DarthIshtar - Yeah, I could tell about "ladder 49," kinda. I won't be on IM for a day because the public computer in my new apartment doesn't have IM services and I need to buy an ethernet cable tomorrow. But I'll be checking vigilantly for more of this. And don't forget, hearts stomped on by soccer cleats are a GOOD sign! wink

If you need anything, give me a call and we'll run errands. :)

C3SoloP0 - wow...sad posts....

Yeah. But it'll get better. :)

I dunno...when I read fics where Jaina married Jag and then she goes to Kyp (even though I don't know if she will in this one) it always makes me think like Kyp shouldn't do it, because she's just going to him cuz Jag ain't there...I don't know if I make any sense....lol

Yeah, you do. And this isn't going to be like that. Given that I'm a staunch K/Jer, writing J/J has been difficult for me, but . . . she'll be with Kyp because she wants to be, not because she doesn't have another option.

Anywho! great posts!

Thanks. :)

AvenKiel - Poor Nattie!!
    Very touching last words from Jag there. It's sweet that he thought about taking care of here even after he was dead.

Well, of course he would. What kind of guy would he be if he didn't?

Dana

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    And here's more!

[b]--Chapter Four--[/b]

[i]There ain't nobody who can show you how
    To find the surface when you're underground
    There ain't no blanket that can hide this cold
    There ain't no memory
    That ever gets old

-- Rob Thomas, "When The Heartache Ends"[/i]

With Jag's funeral over, Jaina found herself floundering. She'd existed through the past few weeks ith the hazy goal of just breathing in and out from moment to moment.

She had spent ten years of her life with Jag, five of them married, and with his death, there was a void she didn't know how to fill. At twenty-seven, she found herself effectively starting over on Ossus. Sheld lived on Denon since the end of the war, so the isolation of Ossus was very different, and she found herself thinking of it as doing the same, rebuilding something that had been lost.

She taught for two hours each day, different subjects to the current group of twelve teenage students. Natale followed her everywhere, instead of going to the class for the handful of children her age.

When she wasn't teaching, Jaina was usually in the hangar for the Jedi squadron, or in the apartment she and Natale had in one of the small buildings clustered around the entrance of the Jedi Library. Luke Skywalker had named her and Kyp leaders of the squadron, and the familiarity of training ten other Jedi helped her rebuild the structure of her life.

It felt odd, though, to not have Jag in their shield trio.

"What are you thinking about so hard?"

Jaina glanced over at Kyp, pausing in adjusting the laser on her lower starboard S-foil. "Jag. What else?"

"I figured. You get that far away look when you do." Kyp leaned against he wing. "It's different, isn't it?"

"What?"

"Flying in Twin Suns without him. You had command of the squadron for two years, and he stayed when I left to reform the Dozen."

Jaina's grip on her hydrospanner relaxed. It had long ago ceased to amaze her how well he knew her. "Yeah. It just feels wrong to now hear his voice checking in as Two or Three."

She sighed. "They gave him command of Twin Suns at the end of the war, but then it was decomissioned."

He nodded. "You chose the name of this one to remember him."

Jaina blinked away a tear. "Yeah."

She smiled suddenly. "But I'm glad [i]you're[/i] here. At least I have one of my guys at my back. Have to have [i]someone[/i] to boss around."

"That's what [i]you[/i] think, [i]Co-Lead[/i]." He stuck his tongue out at her.

"Oh, real mature, Durron," she laughed. "Especially for a forty-one-year-old Jedi Master."

He raised an eyebrow. "Who says I have to be mature?" he retorted.

Jaina rolled her eyes, smiling, and then the smile fell from her face and she sighed. Changing the subject, she said, "I think Jag would have liked it here. Csilla looks alot like Ossus, only out of ice, not rock."

Kyp frowned. "Why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"You run from anything that makes you smile."

It was Jaina's turn to frown. "I don't," she protested.

"Yes, you do. Not when you're with Nat, but every other time. Like just now."

She looked across the hangar, to where Natale was playing with an X-wing toy while her mother worked. "It doesn't feel right," she said quietly. "To laugh, knowing my husband is dead. That he knew he was dying."

Kyp followed her gaze. "Jaina . . . It's admirable that you feel so strongly about it . . . but it's been six months. I know you loved him and that you're always going to love him. But . . . You're only going to hurt yourself if you hide behind your pain."

"And you're such an expert?" she demanded, brown eyes snapping as she turned to glare at him.

His dark green eyes were serious. "Yeah, I'd say I have a lot of experience. I've watched someone that I . . . care about marry someone else, have a family, and now suffer because that someone else is gone. Tell me I don't understand."

The way he stalked out told her that he was angry. She let him go because she didn't want to start an argument. In doing so, she'd be doing exactly what Ja

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Man, I love Kyp... I really do. You're doing him so well in dealing with a grieving woman. And I liked that last scene a lot.

10. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    *sniff* Ok. I'm not crying. But seriously, that was sad. Or was it happy-sad? (still working on defining the two.)

You're doing a great job of leading into the K/J subtly, without being like "ooh! Jag's gone! Here's Kyp!". I like it. :) I really enjoyed the Kyp/Jag monologue. It was very... real.

Great job!

~*~Austyn

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    DarthIshtar - Man, I love Kyp... I really do. You're doing him so well in dealing with a grieving woman. And I liked that last scene a lot.

I love Kyp, too. :D Ah, Kyppie. [face_love]

Well, I figure, he's dealt with her before. They've been close friends for ten years. So he knows her.

Daughterofflame - *sniff* Ok. I'm not crying. But seriously, that was sad. Or was it happy-sad? (still working on defining the two.)

Yeah . . . this one was definitely lighter in mood, wasn't it?

You're doing a great job of leading into the K/J subtly, without being like "ooh! Jag's gone! Here's Kyp!". I like it. happy I really enjoyed the Kyp/Jag monologue. It was very... real.

Thanks. :) I just wrote down whatever Kyp wanted to say, lol.

Great job!

Dana

12. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I love how you're leading into this gradually, and realistically, rather than just having Jaina jump from Jag to Kyp.

A testement to your ability as an author for writing a couple you don't like (J/J) in order to write one you do, and write it believeably.

Kudos to you, another heart wrenching, well-written piece

13. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    nice

14. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I love this story.

The last part was so sweet. You really make me feel for Jaina.

Keep up the good writing.

15. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    Very nice! It makes everything understandable. And Kyp is so sweet.

What I refered this to earlier was a death in my family earlier this year. It took me a long time to realize the death but now I accept it.

But yeah, once again on a happier note, I really think this is good.

16. SwordoftheJedi

SwordoftheJedi Jedi Master star 5

Jan 7, 2005
    You know I use to hate Kyp and K/J stories but after reading your story I also can' wait 'til Jaina and Kyp get together.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_love] Don't we all love Kyp? [face_love]

I really loved this bit, Dana. But I miss Jag. :(

18. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Sorry, I don't love Kyp, but Dana you're making him palatable for me. I'm not sure how Kyp has become such a romantic iconic figure in FF. But that's just me. Lots of other people feel that way about Jag. It would be dull if we all felt the same about every character, wouldn't it? [face_laugh]

This was beautifully, realistically written. People heal slowly and your careful choice of words reflects that.

Excellent. I'll be following this one.

oldj

19. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Absolutely beautiful, Dana. Since I can't quote the whole thing, I'll just say- every part of that post was sad, amazing, poignant, and sweet at the same time. You captured Kyp's struggles, Jaina's reluctance to let go, perfectly.

Then, one day, not long before the first anniversary of his death, she packed up the last box, and put it in storage.

And she began to heal.

Those last two lines hit the hardest. Jaina's finally beginning to let go and move on.

The flow of time is very realistic- it shows that her mourning and healing took time, and that (no matter how much us K/Jers would have loved it) she can't just get together with Kyp a month after her husband died.

20. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Great post. I'm glad Jaina's beginning to heal.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Jade_Max - I love how you're leading into this gradually, and realistically, rather than just having Jaina jump from Jag to Kyp.

Thanks. Jumping from one to the other feels awkward to me, unless it's done for a specific reason in the story and has specific reprecussions. I wanted to try something different for this one, and I think I've succeeded.

A testement to your ability as an author for writing a couple you don't like (J/J) in order to write one you do, and write it believeably.

Kudos to you, another heart wrenching, well-written piece

Heh, well, hopefully the rest will be happier. :)

jasa - nice

Thank you.

princess_melissa - I love this story.

I'm glad. :)

The last part was so sweet. You really make me feel for Jaina.

Thanks.

Keep up the good writing.

I'll try. ;)

RevaDurron - Very nice! It makes everything understandable. And Kyp is so sweet.

I [face_love] Kyppie, I wish I had one. ;)

What I refered this to earlier was a death in my family earlier this year. It took me a long time to realize the death but now I accept it.

My condolences on your loss.

But yeah, once again on a happier note, I really think this is good.

SwordoftheJedi - You know I use to hate Kyp and K/J stories but after reading your story I also can' wait 'til Jaina and Kyp get together.

I'll convert you yet. ;)

Idrelle_Miocovani - love Don't we all love Kyp? love

I cerntainly do. ;)

I really loved this bit, Dana. But I miss Jag. sad

You know, as much as I'm not a Jag fan, in this, I miss him, too. Mostly for Nat's sake, 'cause I can hardly wait to write the K/J stuff. :p

oldjedinurse - Sorry, I don't love Kyp, but Dana you're making him palatable for me. I'm not sure how Kyp has become such a romantic iconic figure in FF. But that's just me. Lots of other people feel that way about Jag. It would be dull if we all felt the same about every character, wouldn't it? laugh

Oh, I'll convert you eventually. :D

This was beautifully, realistically written. People heal slowly and your careful choice of words reflects that.

Thank you. :) But it's not over yet.

Excellent. I'll be following this one.

Good. :D

Smuggler_Shidakis - Absolutely beautiful, Dana. Since I can't quote the whole thing, I'll just say- every part of that post was sad, amazing, poignant, and sweet at the same time. You captured Kyp's struggles, Jaina's reluctance to let go, perfectly.

Thanks. I worked very hard on this chapter, and I'm glad I accomplished what I set out to do with it.

Then, one day, not long before the first anniversary of his death, she packed up the last box, and put it in storage.
    And she began to heal.
    Those last two lines hit the hardest. Jaina's finally beginning to let go and move on.

I wasn't sure how I was going to end this chapter, and I wrote those two sentences, and while it was a lot shorter than I'd hoped for, it just felt right.

The flow of time is very realistic- it shows that her mourning and healing took time, and that (no matter how much us K/Jers would have loved it) she can't just get together with Kyp a month after her husband died.

Right. I actually wanted to have her hang on through chapter 5, but I think it's better this way. Gives me more time to have her fall for Kyp. ;)

FelsGoddess - Great post. I'm glad Jaina's beginning to heal.

Me, too. :) Thanks for reading.

Chapter 5 tomorrow, probably. Sorry it's taking so long, I'm really struggling with this one.

Dana

22. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    poor Jaina Poor Nat

they have Kyp though

more?

23. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    This is a great story. I normally read mostly J/J stuff, but this really treats all the relationships very realistically.

The fissie story reminded me of Kill Bill!

~Lurker

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    JediFalcon - poor Jaina Poor Nat
    they have Kyp though

Yes, they do. :)

more?

Soon.

lurker2209 - This is a great story. I normally read mostly J/J stuff, but this really treats all the relationships very realistically.

The fissie story reminded me of Kill Bill!

Since I haven't seen either of those movies, I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

Dana

25. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Convert me? CONVERT .. ME??? To KYP????

[face_not_talking]

I think not! Not even in your hour of triumph!!

**BOOM**

I suppose I can never say never, but... [face_talk_hand]

maybe you can just go with me not hating him anymore.

o_O

oldj