Beyond "Still Be There" (J/J, K/J, angst, post-NJO) Finished! Last Chapter 09 Sep 12!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Apr 21, 2005.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!

--Chapter Seven--

And I move all directions
    To the corners and the outskirts
    While the lovers and the lonely
    Start to whisper all about me

-- Rob Thomas, "When The Heartache Ends"

Nattie loved the Ewoks. She was roughly the same height as the furry bipeds, and she spent hours chasing around with them. Jaina was relieved to have playmates for her daughter, because Nat definitely took after the Solo side of the family.

"She needs a sibling," Jacen said, as they watched Nat play. They'd been on Endor three days, and were expecting the Solos at any time.

"Any sibling will be five years younger than her, and that's assuming I have another child now," Jaina said. "The age difference is too great."

Jacen shrugged.

"How are you and Tenel Ka?"

Her twin flushed. "She's not mad at me anymore."

"Probably no point in it, since she was supposed to be getting married yesterday." Jaina bumped her shoulder against his. "She didn't want to marry that other guy. She loves you."

"Yeah, but she's one of the most stubborn women I've ever met."

"You should be used to it, you grew up with me."

"That's an understatement," Kyp said behind them, as he emerged from the brush. "And now you've combined that with the Fel stubbornness in Nat . . ."

Jaina groaned. "Don't even remind me. She's bad enough now, I can't bear to think of her as a teenager."

Kyp grinned. He jerked a thumb back the way he'd come. "Thought you might want to know, your parents just landed."

----------

Han and Leia had brought someone else with them. Isolder, Prince of Hapes, stared balefully at the group as they came forward.

"Whozzat?" Nat asked in a loud whisper, from atop Kyp's shoulders. "He looks mean."

The comment apparently carried to Tenel Ka's father, whose lips twitched. He managed to maintain the glower as Tenel Ka walked up to him.

"I am alright, Father," she told him. "And I do not see why you are angry, you did not want me to marry Geral."

Isolder engulfed her in his massive arms. "I am glad to see you safe, daughter."

Tenel Ka stepped back. "Do not be angry with my friends. They did me a service. And . . . I have decided that I will take Jacen as my consort as soon as we return to Hapes."

Han and Leia's mouths dropped open. Kyp grinned, Jaina looked pleased, and Jacen looked sheepish.

Isolder merely rolled his eyes. "I expected as much. And though I know you do not need my permission, I give you my blessing."

----------

Tenel Ka left with the Solos and Isolder, and Jacen left Endor with Kyp and Jaina. Nat was sad to leave the Ewoks, and cried for three straight hours after they entered hyperspace.

They went straight to Hapes, for the impromptu wedding. Most of the previous arrangements were held over for the new celebrations. Afterwards, Jaina borrowed a speeder from the palace and left Natale with her parents. She made her way to the place where Anakin's funeral had been held.

She wasn't even startled when Kyp came out of the treeline and sat beside her. "You remember the last time we were here?" she asked.

"Hard to forget."

They gazed in silence at the landscape, even though it was only lit by moonlight.

"Look, I'm sorry," Kyp said, after a few minutes.

"For what?"

"What happened on Endor. Kissing you."

She laughed softly, the sound washing over him in time with the cool breeze. It was a welcome sound; he hadn't heard nearly enough of it in the two years since Jag died. "No, you're not. Don't lie."

Kyp sighed. "Okay, fine, I'm not sorry."

Jaina drew her knees up, arms folded over them, and rested her chin on her forearm. "You know," she murmured, "the thousands of times I've imagined this conversation, this wasn't how I expected it to go."

The silence this time lasted longer than Jaina had expected it would. It was quite a bit of time before his voice came out of the dark towards her.

"You've imagined this?"

She turned her head. Only her hair was visible, lined in silver from the starlight/>
  2. iamobiwan1970 Jedi Master

star 4
    It just proved that some things were worth waiting for. :D

Very enjoyable. I hadn't seen this in awile, but I read the prior chapter and refreshed my memory. Only two more chapters and it's complete! Yay! I think I can guess what might happen! :) And I like it!
  3. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks. :)

I would have sent out update PMs about this, but it's been over a year since the last update, so I really wasn't sure how many of the old list would still want PMs about it . . .

Dana
  4. Princess Cambria Force Ghost

star 4
    This story is just beautiful[face_love]
  5. Flowerlady Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm so glad to see you back on the boards, Dana...I think I would be correct in saying we all have missed you...[:D]

I read this a while back in my lurker days but I just sat and reread the whole thing...

You had me crying, because I'm a K/Jer who actually likes Jag..yes, I know almost not possible but I do. I can enjoy a good J/J story almost as well as K/J...I said almost:p ...Of course most people who read my stuff know I like him with Shawnkyr...But the beginning of this was so painfully good...I almost wished he hadn't died...I could feel Jaina's pain and Kyp's sorrow at her loss and over his guilt at loving her...:_|

I loved the whole kidnapping of TK...that made me laugh...I can almost see her laying into Jacen for doing that to her....[face_laugh]

And this last chapter....Wonderful...I love how you protrayed Jaina as slowly falling in love with Kyp...It wasn't forced and it wasn't contrite... It was perfect...[face_love]

Now, I can't wait for the last two chapters....I surely hope you don't take too long to post them....I and alot of us poor floundering K/Jers in the sea of wishful J/Jers and zealot J/Zers really need some good old wholesome K/J mush from the queen of K/Jness which these boards have been way to scarse of lately...:D

FL @};-
  6. Durroness Force Ghost

star 1
    =D= Dana, that was magnificant! It seemed so honest and real. You have captured exactly how I think they would have handled this situation. I know how it is to kiss someone that had previously only been a very close friend, and reading this reminded me of that very much. Fantastic Dana, fantastic. [face_love]

If you have a PM list going, I would love to be added. And I am very glad to see that you're back.
  7. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Let me say that it is the fact that I'm in the BYU Library that is now keeping me from jumping around and screaming "YES! YES! YES!" Not only because this is being updated at last, but because of the wonderfulness of that post.
  8. mastermeg_0228 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have to say I'm with Ish on this...so wish I could jump around too!!!!!!!:p

I'm so happy to see you back...it's one thing for you to say we'll get another post and actually post another chapter, so I'm happy to see you actually did! even though i had no doubt;) now we're only a step away from 'Deserts' being updated:D

I'll have to agree with Flowerlady's sentiments too...she beat me to it!
    I just reread this and I got to say my favorite parts were Kyp at Jag's grave and Tk's kidnapping...you did such a good job writing Kyp's emotions at the grave site and it was so eloquent coming from him...

This latest chapter was also beautifully done...the feelings and descriptions were so precise and clear...it was magnificent reading K/J mush!!!!!![face_love]

This is an amazing story and I can't wait to read the rest!!!! (hopefully it won't be too long of a wait);)

wonderful job

meg
  9. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thank you. :)

Thank you. :)

Even a year after I first wrote the scene with Jaina telling Nat about Jag's death, it brings me to tears. I purposely avoided rereading anything before the last two chapters (5 & 6) because anything before that makes me cry! ("Fall In Time" does that, too.)

This has been one of my favourites to write; I think out of my, er, like, 80+ 'fics, this, "Deserts", "Fall In Time", and "Perfect Strangers" are my favourites.

Thank you. :) I wasn't going to have this scene until next chapter, but Jaina insisted!

I'm not doing a PM list for this 'fic, because there are only two chapters left.

Hee. :D Thanks.

Every time I see your name, it reminds me of Meg Masters on "Supernatural"!

I'll be updating "Deserts" soon; given how Darth Rache takes over, I don't want to work on that one until I've got "Castles Crumble" finished (my megafic in the "Supernatural" f
  10. mastermeg_0228 Force Ghost

star 4
    lol! i love that show...and when i saw you're sig the first time i nearly fainted, someone else actually likes it!!!!!

could you PM me the link to the fandom...i'd like to check this out!

and just so this isn't completely off topic...Need more K/J soon!;)

meg
  11. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Unlocking and upping. New post soon. Really. I just have . . . a plethora of stories I'm working on.

Dana
  12. MJade Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad to see you're updating your stories (this is kind a reply to all three). I'm so happy. It's so funny to say that you're working on a Supernatural fic. That should be good! LOL. And Dean in your head.... oh, yeah, that's gotta be a trip. Personally, I blame John. Darn that Papa Winchester, of course he gave us two gorgeous sons. Supremely messed up sons, but hey, we wouldn't want Dean or Sam any other way. It's easy to see how you'd get side tracked. Dean seems to have that effect on people (Even Kypified people, I'm afraid). Thanks for the heads up, I look forward to more K/J.
  13. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Actually, I finished that one. It's morphed into a whole huge series. The first one, "Castles Crumble", was almost 148,000 words written over nine months (you can see why I didn't write much in the SW fandom last year!), and I'm into the third one in that series, "A Fire Shall Be Woken". It's kinda taken over my life, but I'm trying to make myself finish other stuff.

Dana
  14. MJade Jedi Knight

star 1
    LOL Dana!

I certainly know the feeling. I had a BtVS series that originally started as a one shot. That turned into twelve different stories. It's no wonder poor Kyp has suffered! Dean kinda has to be heard. Good luck!
  15. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Lookie! An update!

--Chapter Eight--

And if I stand here silent
    I almost start to feel you fading in
    Telling me hold on
    'Cause it's gonna be alright

-- Rob Thomas, "When The Heartache Ends"

The final step in Jaina's grieving process was selling the Coruscant apartment she'd shared with Jag. It was hard to sign the papers turning it over to the new owners, but once she had, she felt a great weight lift from her shoulders.

Before she left for the last time, Jaina took a few minutes to be alone in the empty space that they'd made a home. She hadn't set foot in the place in three years, but it was good to have some time to reflect.

She stood in the kitchen and remembered the last time she'd seen him. It was strange to think that it had been in this room, standing right here, that she had kissed him good-bye for the last time. Three years now, he'd been gone, but she still remembered clear as crystal the feel of his mouth against hers for such a fleeting moment, neither of them expecting that they'd never see each other again.

She brushed her hand over the counter, remembering the shared breakfasts they'd had here, how Jag had watched when Jaina showed Nat how to cut out shapes in the cookie dough.

Why she'd kept this place for so long, she wasn't quite sure. They'd moved out of it years ago, but actually letting it go, she hadn't done until now.

Guess I just needed time, she thought, pausing in the bedroom door. She hadn't been back here since she'd hurriedly packed their things. The bed was gone, but the room still held lingering ghosts. When Jag had died, she'd thought that she could never love anyone again, never have another man beside her at night.

Here, in this room, it was still a wistful thought; if not for Kyp, she knew that she would have held to that. No one would replace Jag. No one could. The space that Jag had filled in her heart wasn't empty, but Kyp hadn't filled it; her heart had simply made room for him, as well. She viewed moving on with him much the same way.

"Bye," she whispered to the silence, and shut off the light.

-----------

When she got home, Jaina tucked Nat into bed. She had a solitary glass of wine by the fireplace. She'd thought about inviting Kyp, but she wasn't quite ready for what would likely happen after that. Besides, Jaina needed a little space to herself.

She held the goblet in her hand, one of a set given to them as a wedding present. The firelight turned the liquid to a dark, rich red. Jaina stared into the depths of it, and smiled, remembering the times she and Jag had sat here, doing just this.

"Thank you," she whispered, even though he was long gone. "Thank you for giving me happy memories. For our daughter. For the time we had together. It wasn't as long as I would have liked, but . . . thank you."

There was no answer. Of course there wasn't.

"Thank you for letting me go."

It was probably just her imagination, that she felt, for just a moment, his arms around her.

----------

Natale's first official day at the Jedi academy was a big one for the family. The six-year-old could barely contain herself, she was so excited. Jaina took lots of holos, and it was bittersweet for Jag's absence.

Jaina taught the older students, not the six-year-olds, so she didn't have Nattie in any of her classes. She lingered for a moment outside Nat's first classroom, not wanting the moment to end.

"Hard to let go, huh?"

She barely glanced over at Kyp, though every cell in her body was aware of him. "Yeah. Even though I work here. It's just . . . realising that she's growing up, you know?"

"Just think. Now she's going to school, and soon, she'll be dating!"

Jaina turned and jabbed him in the stomach. "You are awful! I do not need to think about her dating, she's only six!"

"Hey, I'm the one who's going to have to intimidate the boys." Kyp took her hand, rubbing his fingers over the discreet ring there; he'd asked only a few days before, quietly and without ceremony. They hadn't yet made an/>
  16. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Yes! Finally a Solo with sense! Han and Leia should have eloped as well. Luke and Mara, too, so we would have been spared Union...well, I digress. The point is, all of that had me mushy and grinning. Only you could write that scene with the memories of what she had with Jag and her subsequent future as Mrs. Durron work so well. *sigh*
  17. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    Honestly, I think this is the very first fanfiction that's gotten be totally teary eyed. :_| *sniffs*

But Kyp saves the day, as usual. :D

I loved all the mush and all the sad parts. Poor Jag.

Can't wait to read the next chapter.

And now, after two hours of reading Dana's stories...my behind is seriously in pain. I need to go lie down. :p
  18. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Jaina's being very specific and telling me that she doesn't want a big wedding with Kyp, not right now; she just wants to be married.

Hee. You don't have to read them in one sitting!

This story makes me tear up, still. This one and "Fall In Time". I cried while writing these two.

Dana
  19. iamobiwan1970 Jedi Master

star 4
    :D =D= [/i]Cool! More story! =D=

"Especially now that she's in school. I'm not meant for sitting around here, Kyp. It's safe here, but I feel like I need to be doing something now. Like I can do something now."

This is so Jaina and so Kyp. They are both such active people. I can?t imagine thenm being able to fully settle down.

"Go. Do something rash, Jaina."

She smiled a little wistfully, sending a wish with that shooting star, that Jag was at peace.

"Race you back," she said.

Ahhh, that was great! I love their relationship. It?s so now, and not the banter of when Jaina and Kyp were so much younger! I respect that!
  20. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    For me, the only reason that Jaina settled for teaching was because of Jag's death. She became rather a different person in her grief, directing it differently for the sake of her daughter. Instead of lashing out like she did in NJO, she closed down and refocused to something unrelated to her husband's death.

Writing J/J in the context of this story has definitely been a trip, because I almost 'ship them more in this than I do K/J. (Which is weirder for me to state than it is for you to read, I assure you. :p) What ultimately let Jaina let go of Jag and that grief was him giving his permission before he died, letting her know it was okay with him if she loved again. He knew he was dying, knew Nat needed a father.

And I think that shaped the way that Kyp and Jaina interact with each other after Jag's death and helped transform them from the bantering best friends into love interests. They've still got the banter there, but they have a much more mature, adult relationship now than they did before.

Dana
  21. TenelKaSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Love this! I think you've woven it all together wonderfully. If you have a PM list, please pm me when you put up the next/last chapter!
  22. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks! There isn't a PM list, because I was mostly through this before I thought to start one. :D
  23. PHGS_Weyr Jedi Master

star 4
    Great Job! This one's been a real tear-jerker! You made me like Jag! :oops:

PHGS Weyr
  24. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It made me like Jag! *twitch* One chapter left, but I haven't even started it yet. Gah.
  25. sonicflame Jedi Knight

star 1
    Awww, Dana, I love this one, too!! I sat here at work this morning and read the whole thing...I can't wait for the rest of it!

<giggles> Wooohooo!!!

Go Jaina!!! Go Kyp!!!!

I can't wait for the ending!! And this one is soooo sequel-worthy. <hint, hint!>
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade