main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Has anyone here watched Wonderfalls??

Its also produced by Tim Minear and it was also cut after 14 episodes or so- why oh why would they do that? It was so good!

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I asked this question in Costuming & Props, but I'll ask it here:

Does anyone here know what make/model "Vera" was based on? It was Jayne Cobb's favorite weapon on Firefly & Serenity. I'm considering using a H&K G36 as a base, simply bacause I have found some very inexpensive airsoft models. But I would appreciate any advice you have. thanks!

[image=http://www.airsplat.com/Images/AR-G36-366.jpg]

3. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't have any suggestions, but definately post a pic of the finished model when you're done! ;)

4. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks, will do. :)

So far, I have found that it wasn't anything close to a G36, but it is based on a Russian shotgun based on the Kalishnikov.

I was led to this link: http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/CallahanFullboreAutolock which shows vera in all her glory. The downside is that if I want to build this, it'll be almost completely custom, AFAIK. But I did find a seller on ebay who has resin models of Jayne's pistol, and he has great feedback. So now I'm facing the canon debate: Do i go with what's canon, or take a little artistic license (which is more affordable).

Ah the joys of costuming on a budget.....

(At least I've tracked down the hat, at reasonable prices)...

5. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006
  6. hero_of_canton

hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2007
    hello all, just joined this site recently and was astounded to find such a variety of topics, not to mention one about the best show of all time =)i joined for the star wars chatting and i am affraid no one can appreciate my screen name or how cunning i look in my new hat =P anyways nice to see a bunch Browncoats with there heads above water. =)

i mite be mistaken, as i am new here abouts, but i was skimming thru that character brackett competition deal, no Mal?, blasphemy is a word that doesnt come close to covering it if thats the case

7. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    You can currently get a replica of Mal's pistol from Forbidden Planet.

To say that I'm tempted to buy it is an understatement.

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Welcome, Hero of Conton! Feel free to drop in anytime and say hi. :) Just any FYI, Mal will be in a future bracket, I beleive the "Government Bracket". You can always participate in the voting, just PM your votes for the current bracket to the game host.

9. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Serenity 2-disc Special Edition DVD coming this summer: Joss confirms and comments

The best part: There'll probably be a cast commentary!

10. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Since I believe my Serenity disc got scratched recently (:_|), I will probably be doing the double-dip here. Glad I know that, so I can hold out to replace it.

I do hope it has better cover art. The art on the first release was terrible, totally unrepresentative of anything about the movie.

-Paul

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I recently got in a hat for my Jayne costume, and I just completed a new sidearm for it. (Also included pics of the new Nerf Rebel Fleet Trooper blaster.) I should have a Blue Sun shirt in any day now...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/obey_wann_ff/album/576460762392745683

Hope you Browncoats like it! Keep flying!

12. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Cast commentry?

GORRAM IT!

There's nothing wrong with my one disc Serenity dvd so I'm not gonna buy the special edition unless I fins it really really really really cheap. And of course if it's released in England.

But a cast commentry will make it very hard to resist.

13. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006

that is awesome!!!!!!!!

14. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    zomg the hat totally makes it!

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks! I'll be wearing this for Starfest this weekend, along with my Tusken Raider. Got the Blue Sun shirt, and a great chinese lookin one, too. I'm all shiny now.

Can't wait for con this weekend. Can't wait.

16. Lady Keira

Lady Keira Jedi Master star 5

Apr 16, 2004
    Has anyone been watching that new Drive show on Fox? I heard it got cancelled already. [face_frustrated]

17. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, I caught the first couple eps - I thought it had potential.

Poor Fillion - he's so talented and he just can't seem to land a part that lasts.

18. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    That made me upset as well. I started watching it because Nathan Fillion, he's my favorite actor. I DVRd the monday episode, only to find it was replaced with House.
    Too bad, I just hope they do a good job on those 2 episode finale.

19. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, that does suck. I'm so surprised that he's not doing more. Even more surprised that his movie career hasn't taken off.

20. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm not surprised, as the show looked pretty bad. But it's a real shame that Nathan Fillion isn't getting more parts in more high profile shows or movies, because he is a really good actor...

21. boxy_brown

boxy_brown Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2007
    I was hoping he would get the lead in Indiana Jones 4, unfortunately they brought back Harrison Ford (hope it isn't blasphemy to say that but he is really old).

The episode "out of gas" from Firefly absolutely solidified his place as coolest actor in the world.

22. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    As much as I love Nathan and think that he's an amazing (and unfairly under-appreciated) actor, I honestly can't see anyone other than Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.

Out of Gas is my favorite episode. [face_love]

23. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    2-disc comes out 8/21

24. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Woot! I'll definitely be double-dipping for this one. The cast commentary alone will be worth the price of the DVD.

25. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I may or wait until a price drop. The first edition I liked a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.