main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo

Apollo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Aye, they showed about half of Firefly this morning from 8-4 EST. I don't know what episodes they aired though prior to 12 as I woke up at around 12 and was pleasently surprised to turn Sci-Fi on and watching the beginning of Trash. But what they showed from 12-4 was Trash, The Message, Heart of Gold and Objects in Space. I can only presume following that order that the 8-12 content contained: Jaynestown, Out of Gas, Arial and War Stories.

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I also typically don't get two versions of the same movie, but may this time. If only for a chance of better cover art. That first DVD was rather hideous. :p

Sci-fi ran a Firefly marathon today, and I rewatched Heart of Gold and Objects in Space. I was reminded that I love the latter episode so much. :D

EDIT: Cross-posting. I guess other people noticed the Firefly-athon already. ;)

3. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Heh, I saw something I hadn't noticed before. If you watch Saving Private Ryan, you'll see our good olde Captain Mal in a brief role. He played "Minnesota Ryan", the 1st Private Ryan that Tom Hanks' squad finds.

4. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Your right. I forgot about that scene. I always felt bad for that guy because he did not know whether to believe them or not. For no good reason, they really upset a guy who seemed to be coping pretty well at that point.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    DVD SE coming out soon. I think I'm going to wait. I'm promised myself I wouldn't buy anything until 9/18 anyways.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Whats so special about 9/18? I'm going to be waiting myself but thats because I'm going to be out of town for two months.

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Troy Director's Cut and Family Guy. But seems I broke me promise since I couldn't resist the temptation and bought the damn thing.

8. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Question: if one were to already own the first release, is this worth picking up?

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Its not an EE just more special features and a great box. I have seen the transfer yet, but I've heard nothing but great things.

10. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    They made a TROY director's cut?

I'm curious and slightly thinking "why bother?"

Saw an advert in a magazine the other day for Serenity in High-Def. Most Excellent.

11. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Has anyone seen Nathan Fillion in Buffy? Even though he was evil...he was SO good! =P~

12. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I recently discovered the show. A friend gave the series DVD set to me for my b-day without ever seeing the show. She just thought that since I liked sci-fi and it was in the sci-fi section, I might enjoy it. She was right.

I never thought any show would be better than Babylon 5, but man, Firefly is awesome. If they hadn't cancelled it, it would have blown poor B5 out of the water. I went through the whole series in a weekend and have watched it twice since. I've also watched the movie three times and plan on getting the SE as soon as the old bank account allows it.

13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Onoto: glad you liked it!

Welcome to the Browncoats.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just saw the stuff about another DVD. I hate when they do that. [face_frustrated]

Has anyone gotten it yet and is it worth it? I do love the show, just really don't need to spend the money on something I've already got.

I too have turned another friends on to the joys of Firefly. Granted, she was already a big Buffy fan, so it wasn't all that big a jump.

15. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    I still don't have it, but my brother does. It's nearly worth it just for the packaging. Beautiful, perhaps overcompensating for the terrible cover art of the first one. Also, it doesn't have those obnoxious clasps.

That kind of stuff matters to me, I guess. :p

But there's also a commentary with some of the cast, and a disc of bonus features I haven't seen, and thus can't judge.

Plus, buying it shows that there is an audience for Serenity/Firefly, which encourages the production of more Browncoat material. Maybe. We can hope.

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    That's reason enough in my book to buy the DVD. Keep the faith. Try to keep her flying.

Maybe we should send nuts to their executives. [face_thinking]

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'll have to check it out then. :D :D

18. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    [face_laugh] How about Blue Sun brand?

19. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    So all hope for the future of Firefly/Serenity is based on getting a loyal fanbase to by 2 dvds of the same stuff in a years time?

Sorry Joss, I think any promises made to you in that light were jokes.

I loved firefly and liked Serenity...but it ain't worth that to me...I wouldn't even stoop to buying the SW Original Version DVDs last year!

It's over...I had hopes when they discussed the whole webcast thing...but it's not happening...and given Nathan's failure with Drive...I doubt a network will pick it up again...even Sci-fi, who could desperate use a shot of "good show".

20. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I understand wanting to give it up, but I won't! Nathan has been highly visible in the past year and with him coming onto Desperate Housewives this season. Well I just can't give up some hope.

Plus in Entertainment Weekly he was voted the person that most people wanted to play Kirk in the new Star Trek.

I know starting throwing things now because I said someone besides Shatner as Kirk. I hope he gets it. It would rock.

21. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    and you think he'd come back to Firefly now?

The show failed the first time, why would he want to be around for death 2?

Let's face it folks, if Serenity didn't ignite a media frenzy for this little series, nothing was gonna.

It goes right in there with Space: Above and Beyond as a "what could've been".

But they'd rather rehash Flash Gordon, then take a chance these days.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I'm sure this has been said before, but does anyone else think Whedon's biggest problem is coming up with good titles to sell his stuff?

The one exception, and it's the big one, is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is such a perfect title (intriguing while at the same time relaying the essence of the show) you'd think Whedon would be an expert.

With Angel he got a by because it was a big spinoff with a large enough presold audience, but I can't help wondering if the show might've lasted longer if it'd had a cooler title to entice new viewers.

Firefly is maybe the worst of the bunch, because a) it struck me as a lackluster title before I even really knew what the show was about, and b) when I finally DID realize what the title meant, I thought it was really lame to name the whole show after the class of ship that the cast flies on. Not that specific ship, but the ship class.

Serenity is slightly better than Firefly in that it IS the specific ship, but even then it's a title that only really sells the movie to people who already know the show. No one who sees the title Serenity is going to think, "Cool, a witty sf movie with fun action and well-written characters!"

If DVD sales give these folks a chance to crank out a sequel, it needs an active, dynamic title, that will draw in NEW viewers.

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Wow, I think you hit it right on the head. I did NOT watch firefly at the beginning, largely because it was sucha lame title. And only barely got into Serenity, and that's only because of the level of fanaticism by fellow FF'ers. Never got into Buffy or Angel. But I think you're right, a better title would definitely help. :)

24. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I actually think that Firefly is a great title. I also think Serenity is a great title as well. I'm in the boat where I think it's vague enough to spark interest. (at least for me) But I also agree that when I found out that it was the name of the ship class, It was a bit strange. I would have much rather had the show title the name of the ship it's self. But I Think that "firefly" itself as a show title works well.

dkt

25. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Still not giving up hope! I know that nothing will come of it, but it's fun to think of what if's!

I think the title was a bit bad. I didn't watch it the first time, but it wasn't because of the title. I hate anything that has to do with westerns.....so I thought it was a western and wouldn't watch it. My husband was a loyal viewer.

They should've just named it "Capt. Tightpants" and then more people would've watched. I did think the movie title was a good one though. Here is a word that evoks thoughts of peacfulness and tranquility and the movie really is all about confrontation, not only with others, but with onesself as well.

I know that it wouldn't bring in the masses as much as a catchy title, but what are you going to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.