main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I love the movie title, because it works on so many levels. "Serenity" is also the effect the Alliance chemicals produced on Miranda.

-Paul

2. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    OHHHHHHH!!! I didn't think of that and that's great! Thanks for the lightbulb!

3. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Ya, Serenity for THe movie title is really good. I was hoping to maybe see some sort of recap from the pilot on what serenity actually meant (Serenity Valley) but, oh well.

dkt

4. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I think we see "Battle of Serenity Valley" on the Operative's little screen when he's looking at Mal's file, at the same time we see "VOLUNTEER". So no direct explanation, but a little nod to it. It takes a careful eye and dot-connecting on the audience's part, but it's something.

As much as I want Fillion to become a great big star, he really doesn't strike me as Kirk material. He'd belong more on the Millennium Falcon than the U.S.S. Enterprise IMHO.

5. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    Jayne also throws a mention of the battle at Mal one of the times they're arguing ("No, the Alliance starts the war - and then you volunteer." That scene.) And it's completely spelled out by the Operative in a deleted scene. I think there's as much in there as makes sense for the characters to talk about on that score.

6. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Agreed, I think that if they went out and mentioned it, the story would have sounded a little to exposition type. I loved how the Pilot started, but for the story of "Serenity" itself I think it is irrelevant. I just thought it would be interesting for those that didn't know.

dkt

7. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I finally watched the series and i loved it. It's too bad that it no longer on.:(

8. EvilElecBlankett

EvilElecBlankett Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
  9. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Ya know, as much as I really don't care for Wheddon, I love Firefly and Serenity...Go Figure. It would be great if there was to be a sequel. Of course, why Tudyk would be involved is nagging at me. Didn't they kill him off? Maybe a prequel or flashbacks or something. Either way, another Firefly flick would be cool. Hope it happens and doesn't end up like the X-files sequel, where every couple years it's brought up again, but never really comes to fruition.

D_M_S_L

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm so sick of this...nothing is inked...it's somebody shooting the breeze and it'll cause a hysteria.

No show is worth this...not one.

RIP firefly.

11. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I sure hope that the people who got Star Trek, Family Guy, and Jericho renewed never talked this way. The article may be bogus, but what else is Joss Whedon doing right now? He's probably in his shower thinking up some idea. As long as this 'verse is real to him, it can be real to others.

12. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    I'm going to do the same thing that I did with The X-Files sequel: Stop hoping for one until contracts are signed, screenplays are written, and production has started. If a sequel comes along, fantastic. If it doesn't, it's not the end of my world. I just hope that the hinting and teasing stops until there's something to hint and tease with (i.e. a definite sequel), because this is getting old.

-- The Cynical Browncoat (who is more than slightly jaded at having this happen in not one, but two of her favorite fandoms -- XF and FF)

13. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Well, folks, here's how I see it. We gotta keep the signal strong and we gotta make it go further. In other words we gotta keep buzzin'! In whatever way, we have to generate enough buzz to convince 'Versal and TPTB that the interest in this story is powerful and widespread enough to be a worthwhile venture. It's been done once, it can be done again, and YOU, my brown-coated friends, are all amongst them as made it happen.

So let me urge you now to make it happen again.

Look what happened with Star Trek, after all. The first film was a box-office flop, but it wasn't the end - look how many films have been made since then. Ain't a power in the 'verse can stop us from doing the same.

Trilogy, oh, Trilogy
    I want my Trilogy
    Don't stop at one, don't stop at two
    GORRAMMIT, GET ME THREE!!!!

- 'Big Damn Trilogy' (c) Bedlam Bards :D

14. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    ^^ Well said. Can't stop the signal.

15. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    I finally saw the series and movie about a month ago. It was enjoyable. And I would recommend that sci-fi fans give it a shot. But honestly? I can see why the series was canceled and why the movie didn't catch fire. They're both good, but not great. (IMO, of course)

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Bad example with the Star Trek reference.

Even the Trekkies hated The Motion Picture...and the series proceeded on despite that setback, primarily because executives knew the formula for making a "good" Star Trek Movie...they just had to get less input from Roddenberry on it. Poof...Wrath of Khan. And though disappointing in returns...it did much better box office wise then Serenity did.

In Firefly's case, the fanbase loved Serenity...but that doesn't change the fact that it had lack-luster returns while opening in the "dead" season (between the Summer and Christmas film crunches). The truth played out...as vocal and ardent as the fans are...they are too few. The film was promoted as more of a "tribute to fans" then as a film to get strangers to the series in the door...which shut out a larger portion of the public.

Unless Series fans actually donate money to have more stuff made, no studio is going to do it...this show got a crack at the bigtime and disappointed.

17. EvilElecBlankett

May 25, 2007
  18. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Jewel's most recent blog entry on her myspace:
    (Jewel's Official Myspace - Blog entry 'The Next Installment')

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    back to life...back to reality...

20. EvilElecBlankett

May 25, 2007
    Ouch. At least we heard something...

21. Sith_Lady_Kenobi

Sith_Lady_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2002
    Somewhat new fan here. Well, not that new. But after having the series for a few years before a little recently watching it in pretty much one day, yeah, I'm a fan. :p Even loved the movie. And was sad that they cancelled the series at that, but would be nice to have a sequel. Atleast Staite isn't siding with saying there will be or won't be one. I guess we can never know until Whedon makes it official, but it would be nice. :)

22. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    That would be great. [face_laugh]

23. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    I can live without the River/Zoe detail. But the rest? Bring it on, bring it on, bring it on. :D

24. EvilElecBlankett

May 25, 2007
    I could stand to hear a little more :p

25. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.