main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odowan

Odowan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    ^Yes there is actually. It's one of ten movies that universal is going to be relasing in HD-DVD. Whether or not it will have more featres is yet to be seen. But my money is on it being the eaxact same DVD only in HD.

As for Zoe being pregnant, me and my fellow browncoat friends were specualting on that. We all agree that it has to happen. We still have 2 confirmed novels, so we'll see. But I would be very happy if that turns out to be the case. Wash must live on somehow.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    HD-DVD, huh? If there are added extras, it may be worth seeing. Otherwise, I'll pass until the technology is fully fleshed out.

3. MIK2005

MIK2005 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2006
    I got bored with some episodes of Firefly but Serenity blew me away. With the deaths of two characters, will there be a sequel or a television series. The Alliance is going to be falling apart and the great secret has been revealed.
    [removed]

4. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    dood seriously what the hell is up with the site plugs?

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Just a note - if you see something that's a problem please PM a mod instead of replying to the spam. Thanks! :)

6. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    Are there any books out now?

I have Serenity on DVD and I would like to get Firefly on DVD...I have to say that the show what not what I thought it was going to be... :)

7. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I just bought Firefly today![face_dancing] About time.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    And I still think River is the most awesome charecter of all.

And I really need to sit down and finish watching the show.

~PK~

9. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    I enjoyed the movie. I haven't seen any episodes of Firefly. I'm hoping to catch them sometime on SciFi.

[face_plain]

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Saw the movie today, and I think it is excellent.

Especially the Operative. That guy was cool.

11. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I really want to see the show...I've seen some of them but not all..so I was thinking I would rent them...I'll have to check it out.

also I think River is a very cool and interesting charecter

12. MariahJSkywalker

Mar 11, 2005
    River is one of a kind. I like to be like her...expect for the crazy part.:p

13. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    As a movie buff and a film maker I have to admit I really like this story.

Just before Serenity came out in theatres I had the chance to watch a Firefly marathon on the space network in which they actually played the episodes in order back to back until they were all done. I was very impressed. And after watching Serenity I finally feel like there's still a sci fi related experience that is more about characters and story than just flashy toys and technobabble.

In fact I remember seeing ads for this show and thinking how kick ass it was going to be. But then Fox stepped in and ruined it all.

See Fox just keeps proving what total **** they are by continually making idiots of themselves. Here comes this bankable reliable writer, Joss Whedon who is responsible for one of their most successful TV shows of all time, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He's pitching a new idea that will appeal to the Buffy demographic and a whole new one while they're at it and Fox drops the ball.

They market the show as poorly as possible and then play the episodes in the wrong order on a schedule that is shaky at best. The ratings blow because of their own idiocy but despite their incompetence, Firefly strikes something in the heart of it's viewing audience and goes on to sell 50,000,000 DVD's. So then in the wake of this overwhelming success when offered the opportunity to bac a motion picture, what does Fox say?

Do they say "Yes, we would like guaranteed revenue stream from this obviously popular and very bankable product." ?

No. They turn their backs again and let Universal keep that gem. Sound familiar at all? They pulled a similar act with Star Wars.

Well I'm pleased that things turned out the way they did and that Joss could go on to make his movie for all of us to enjoy it. And it is enjoyable. The humor is brilliant and real, the situations are interesting and believable and the characters are likeable.

There may or may not be a sequel and there may or may not be a new TV series bit whatever the case is, if Joss is in charge, I'm sure it will all turn out alright.

droideka EDIT: star profanity all the way out

14. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Wise words.

Fox missed out with the show. That's a given. Whether Universal will back a sequel/prequel/whatever is another matter. DVD sales may determine that more then box office takings.

Meanwhile, I've been looking for some decent Firely/Serenity based t-shirts, but haven't had much luck. I'm thinking perhaps making my own.

15. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    It's sad to say, but with the less than stellar reception Serentiy recieved from audiences, I can't say that Fox was wrong. I love Firefly, own the series and the film but I'm just one guy. I have to ask those 50,000,000 DVD owners and self proclaimed Browncoats, where were you? Where was the huge movement that was going to resurrect Firefly and make it an international hit? If anyone's to blame for Firefly's demise it certainly isn't his creator or the quality of the film, or the ad campaign. All were well done. It's the fans.

16. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    I borrowed this movie today, I hope its good

17. LittleAlbatross

LittleAlbatross Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    I think that maybe the fan base was overestimated - not in it's devotion or capabilities but simply in its size. I don't think the fans should have been expected to spend $100s repeatedly seeing the movie (as some fans suggested).

I also don't think Universal did that great a job promoting the film in a way that would appeal to wider audiences. The tv ads were few (at least compared to the airtime Into the Blue had), and the print and radio ads put too much emphasis on the prior fan screenings (this could have varied by region though - this was just what occurred in my area).

A number of factors led to Serenity's lack of success at the box office, I don't think it's as simple as blaming just the fans or just Universal.

18. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000

Yeah, it wasn't widely publicisd in my area. I only knew about it cause I keep up on things that Wheadon does. Which is sad, I think if it was more widely advertised here that it would of done well. I know alot of the younger Midwestners love Sci-Fi type movies.

And people who have rented it from me and have come back and said, you were right about this movie. I should of saw it in theaters. I think I'll buy it from Wal-Mart since you're sold out.

~PK~

19. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I'm just pointing out that this movie was greenlighted on the backs of fandome. The belief that the droves of followers who'd spend $40 for the DVDs were guaranteed to go see the movie at least 4 times. It was a faulty premise from the start, but that's the way it is.

No film can survive on fans alone. If that were true, then Shatner and his libido would still be trapsing around the undiscovered regions of the Federation.

20. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Even Shatner knows when to call it quits. Though I'm loving his work in Boston Legal at the moment.

As for Firefly and Serenity, I'm a fan who's seen the movie three times on cinema screens and own the tv series, and will soon own the movie on dvd upon its local release. Saying it's the fans fault isn't all that true. Despite the dvd sales, you can't expect people to turn up four times each to see a movie. What you really need is proper support. There are far more fans of sci-fi out there then just Firefly itself. Advertising the movie properly goes hand in hand with that.

Then again, have a look at some of the cult classics of recent years that didn't do at all well on cinema screens, but brought in far more with its DVD release? I see the same happening here.

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Was a browncoat from back when Firefly first aired here in Australia. ;) I'm stoked this forum now exists so I can gabble on about one of my "other" other nerdy interests.

The movie could almost be considered Whedon's magnum opus: i was so blown away. I'm not the only one who had to go see it a second time simply because I was too shocked post-wash inncident to realise what was going on.

22. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    No matter what happened at the theatres I'm just grateful that we got the movie in the first place, I mean getting a major motion picture movie off of a failed tv show that had 13 or 15 episodes aired is almost impossible to do. The fans did their part IMO they were out on the streets promoting the film, they were dressed up at the theatres, spreading the movie through word of mouth, etc. They did their best to promote the movie and many saw it as either "Buffy in Space" or "Star Wars wannabe #3728"

23. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    After I saw Serenity, I ordered the Firefly DVD set and I've watched the first three episodes so far, and I have to say I am suprised by how incredibly enjoyable this show is. I liked Serenity and I figured the show would be GOOD, but it is really rather excellent. I can't believe Fox cancelled this. I've only seen 3 episodes and I'm already thinking Firefly might be my 3rd favorite tv show, only behind Lost and Battlestar Galactica.

24. MariahJSkywalker

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm glad you like it Andalite, now watch the other episodes.

25. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    But the crazy part, is the best thing about her!!!! I wish I was crazy like River.

~PK~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.