main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Flying: Serenity/Firefly

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Told you so!

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    That's a fact!

3. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    I can't remember the last time I had something twixt my nethers that ran on batteries.

[face_plain]

4. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Wow, beafet, I'm glad you can share these things with us! :p

5. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    What do folks think about Books past! Since he died, it might not be explained ever, but my theory is is that Book was an Operative. I thought this after the exchange between Book and Mal on Haven. Book is warning Mal about the Operative who is pursuing them. "They'll come at you sideways. It's how they think. It's how they move. Sidle up and smile. Hit you where you're weak. Sort of man they're like to send believes hard. Kills and never asks why." Then Mal says "It's of interest to me how much you seem to know about that world." And Book says "I wasn't born a Sheperd, Mal." Mal says "Have to tell me about that sometime," and Book says "No, I don't."

Consider the evidence! Perhaps Book doesn't have to tell Mal about his past because he just did? Operatives are clearly well trained in some form of martial arts combat. Book is well trained in some form of martial arts combat. Operatives are very high ranking Alliance officials. When the Doctor looked at the Ops ID, he got scared. Very similar to what happened when Book had the Alliance people look at his ID card. Book also has a very detailed knowledge of weapons and crime, as an Operative would. Also, Book's line that River sees in Objects in Space, about not caring if somebody was innocent or not, well seems like something an Operative might say to somebody. Because an Operative doesn't care if somebody is innocent or not, they just follow orders. So I think Book was an Operative!

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Say what? When does he wear the hat in the movie? I don't remember that.

And the crowd I was with would have cheered for like 10 minutes if that hat had shown onscreen, so I'm almost positive that didn't happen.

M. Scott

7. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I agree!! The book theory makes very good sense.

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Why do we have to highlight for spoilers in this thread? I assume everyone's seen the show if they're posting in it?

9. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    You never know, it's just a nice courtesy.

10. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    He went past the screen when they were on the planet to drop the Payload and Simon and river off. I'm sure of it.

I got my Jayne Hat Today!! Man you should had heard my mate scream when she found out, she nearly burst my eardrum.

MC

11. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Alright, this is a stupid question, but I did see Serenity before seeing any episode of Firefly(I really need to go buy the DVD set). Anyway, why do the characters sometimes speak Chinese? Is it like a trade language?

12. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    The idea behind this is that back on Earth, the two superpowers America and China eventually merged, and the culutres blended together. By the time of the events in Firefly, everybody can speak Chinese and you can see many other elements of Chinese culture.

13. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
    I bought Firefly today.

[face_plain]

14. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep, from Fireflyfans.net:

An interstellar political body that established a hegemony over the civilized worlds and defeated the Independent Faction.

Apparently formed by the merger of the US and China - the last of the surviving superpowers.

(The script for "Serenity" states the IAV Dortmunder was emblazoned with the "flag of the AngloSino Alliance." There is alot of discussion about the "anglo" in AngloSino. Here it is taken as refering to the English speaking nation of the United States rather than England. Historically this fits with the sense Winston Churchill used when he referred to the US as part of an "Anglosphere" of English speaking nations. It also fits well with the FOX website's mention of the old superpowers; China and the US.)

At the battle of Serenity Valley Alliance soldiers sported helmets very similar in design to the German helmets of WW2. By 2517 however a new helmet and armour configuration was in widespread use among Alliance forces.

(Of course the armour and helmet sported by troopers in 2517 are reuses of the armour developed for the movie "Starship Troopers," disproving the belief that no good could come from that film.)

Yeah it was the same thing that you just posted. Just funnier.

15. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Thanks, that does make perfect sense. Now..anyone know where the cheapest Firefly box set is right now?

16. beafet

Mar 12, 2001
    I feel like we are all just a big family here.

[face_plain]

17. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I have added another Firefly fan to the group of humans who are fans of Firefly, for I have gotten my roommate to view the show and he is the fan, although, get this, doesn't like the themesong. Whatever!

I love the themesong!

You can't take the sky from me, la la la.

Has anybody read the comic that bridges the gap between Objects in Space and Serenity? I am thinking of getting it.

18. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah I got it when it came out.

The TPB just came out so it should make it easy for you to pick up.

19. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Sweet! TPBs are my friend

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I can't stand the theme song either. The guy can't sing...

21. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    It's not the singer, it's the message.

22. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Have you heard the Joss Whedon version of the song? Woof.

23. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    I hated the song at first, but as my love for the show grew the theme gained a special place in my heart (and my mp3 player). :p

24. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I just ordered the Visual Companion book to Serenity yesterday, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

In this book is the entire script, a 30 page Whedon interview, and lots of neat informations. Hoorah.

25. JediKink

JediKink Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    I don't see the complaints about the song. As original themesongs for television series go, it is rather good.

You also have to take into account the country flavor of the song. Not that many people are fans of country. But I don't like Music of any sort and I like the song. What the song does well is convey many constant themes of the series with both the words and the western sound.

You just have to know what to like about it to like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.