main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Still Flying: Serenity

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jul 29, 2004.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Okay, there are some Firefly fans out there, and you should all know that it's being made into a movie, entitled Serenity. Known to some fans as The Big Damn Movie!

The movie picks up about 6 months after the show ended, with the entire crew hanging in, still trying to exist. River and Simon are still on the run, but they are now being chased by government agents and have runins with Alliance and Reavers. The movie has been said to finish up a couple of the hanging storylines and introduce several new worlds and characters.

Teaser Poster:
    [image=http://www.fireflyfans.net/newsimages/serenityteaser.jpg]

Some Images:
    [image=http://www.serenitymovie.com/photos/4.jpg]
    [image=http://www.serenitymovie.com/photos/3.jpg]
    [image=http://www.serenitymovie.com/photos/2.jpg]

Set Blog:
    http://www.serenitymovie.com/blog/index.php

Credited cast:
    Nathan Fillion .... Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
    Gina Torres .... Zoë Warren
    Alan Tudyk .... Jerry Lee "Wash" Warren
    Morena Baccarin .... Inara Serra
    Jewel Staite .... Kaylee Frye
    Adam Baldwin .... Jayne Cobb
    Sean Maher .... Dr. Simon Tam
    Summer Glau .... River Tam
    Ron Glass .... Shepherd Book

Chiwetel Ejiofor .... The Operative
    Raphael Feldman .... Fanty
    Yan Feldman .... Mingo
    Michael Hitchcock .... Dr. Mathias
    Glenn Howerton .... Young Man
    Scott Kinworthy .... The Op's Ensign
    David Krumholtz .... Mr. Universe
    Joshua Michael Kwiat .... Barker
    Logan O'Brien .... Borodin
    Demetra Raven .... Girl Student #2
    Peter James Smith .... Lab Tech #2
    Ryan Tasz .... Soldier
    Tamara Taylor .... Teacher
    Terrell Tilford .... Newsperson
    Erik Weiner .... The Op's Helmsman

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...i am somewhat looking forward to this..

"Firefly" was an uneven show, but when it was good...

It was good..

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm looking forward to this one; Whedon is a very skilled entertainer.

Does anyone know whether this movie is meant to tie up Firefly, or if he hopes to make a series of movies, or if he hopes the movie does well enough that they'll bring the show back, or what?

4. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Re-watched the entire series on the weekend on DVD. The show makes much more sense when you watch all the episodes in the right order. If Fox aired them properly, it would never have been cancelled.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Mas- the movie will tie up only a couple things, not everything. I think that they plan is not to make another series yet, but more movies if this one works. People have already read the script and have said that it's awesome.

There will also be a Firefly Comic produced through Dark Horse.

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Will the comic be written by Whedon?

7. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Firefly was great, and I feel confident that Serenity will be one of my favourite movies next year.

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Will the comic be written by Whedon?

I think so, the article refered to his previous work.

In other news, there's word about that there might be an animated Prequel to the movie. If so, it proves my theory correct- that it's becoming a popular trend. Now, if they can only get the people who worked on Dark Fury to do it... if it happens.

There hasn't been much activity, but www.serenitymovie.com/blog seems to have some good spoilers.

There was also a teaser at ComicCon, which I'd love to watch.

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Actually, I think that I'm going to enjoy Serenity more than I will Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Just watched the bootlegged trailer for the movie. It was released at comic con. Man, I cannot wait for this movie to be released. Unfortunently, the quality wasn't that great, and I couldn't hear anything well. But it was firefly. Anyone else see it?

11. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I saw it, but the quality was horrible. I anxiously await an official release trailer.

L8r

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I couldn't agree more. I wonder when they'll release it.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I've watched the show now on DVD, and I'm now stoked for this movie whereas before I was only mildly interested. Now I'm actually looking forward to a movie next year.

I only hope that Whedon gives it more of an epic movie feel instead of the two-hour episode feel that sometimes comes of TV shows moving to the movies. . .

EDIT: April 22?! Going head-to-head with RotS only a couple weeks into its run?! Oi. :(

14. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Serenity Now!

15. HandmaidenAnde

HandmaidenAnde Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    I only discovered the show this summer, but I am now a Browncoat for life! I'm somewhat glad I didn't watch the show on television because I would have been extremely frustrated by how the network messed up the episode order. Not to mention devastated by its cancellation! Incredible show with an outstanding ensemble cast.

I was able to go down to the San Diego Comic Con to see Joss and the cast. The energy and excitement when they showed the trailer was unbelievable! I know the quality of the teaser available online isn't that good, but it's amazing how exciting the teaser is considering it was "thrown together" by Universal using less than a month's worth of filming. The teaser doesn?t give too much away either, which is always a good thing.

Yep, it opens just a few weeks shy of RotS. I?m hoping they?ll push the release up early because I know I?ll be tempted to read spoilers as soon as they start appearing online. Also, April 22 is the weekend of the Star Wars Celebration. Do you think there are enough Star Wars/Firefly fans to invade the theater on opening night? :)

Andé

16. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Releasing it a few weeks before Episode III could actually help it by giving the audience something to whet their growing appetite for sci-fi with. It worked for The Matrix.

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..but it didn't work for "Wing Commander"...

I think "The Matrix" would have done alright with or without "Star Wars"..

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Mas, you finally saw it? What is your overall review of the series?

The trailer that I saw didn't have very good quality picturewise, but it looks like we're going to have something that's the same quality as the TV show.

Is anyone else anticipating the comics when they come out? Who do you want to do the art and writing?

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Writing: Whedon, no question. Art: Doesn't matter so much to me, so long as it looks right. I hate when there are comics based on shows and so forth and the characters look nothing like the actors.

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Right after I signed off, I realized that Whedon is the only person who should ever touch Firefly as a writer.

Art, Brandon Badeaux. Jan Duursema maybe, but I'd rather see Badeaux's work for this.

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Anyone go to DragonCon? There was some pretty big Firefly happenings there with the cast.

224 Days remaining!

22. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Can't frickin' wait! :D

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    :)

Jewel Strait went onto FIREFLYFANS, and mentioned that if people are going to see it, see it multiple times on the first couple days. Something about how it will do and whether it would make it worthwhile for another one.

24. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep 2005 is going to be another good summer. Make that great. :D

SW, Serenity, a couple of other ones I can't think of right now.

The trailer, as bad of quality as it was, is great. Can't wait to see the full one. What little you can see is just what you would expect. It perserves the original yet also kicks it up a notch. Whedon has been on a roll lately. He is one of those guys that gets knocked down and just comes back stronger. If you haven't checked out Astonishing X-Men yet I highly recomend it.

I hope the upcoming trailer appeals to a wide audience so we get a hit film and not just a cult film based on a cult series.

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, it should be a fun year. Ain't It Cool News said that the movie should be easier for non-fans to get into, but that regular fans should enjoy it.