main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still Good in Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DARTH__LOGRAY, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    BTW, Palpatine was 50 in TPM. 60 in AOTC. 63 in ROTS. 83 in ANH. 87 in TESB. 88 in ROTJ.

Yeah, hes an old looking 50. Ian McDiarmid DOB - 8/11/44. (actually an old looking 55 in 1999 and an old looking 36 in 1980s Dragonslayer :p )

The thing is that people want the right to do this, which is what democracy gives them. Tyranny does not do that.

The Empire didnt cramp the Hutts style in the least. It doesnt seem they had any more difficulty doing what they wanted under the Republic or Empire. :D

2. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Shrude_Dude, we ALL wish we could come up with an answer, a viable alternative, or at least something. But things have gotten so d@mn complicated that there is no longer a 'right thing to do'. When Yoda said that the Dark Side clouds everything, is THIS what he meant?

3. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005

yes but palpatine still thinks he is doing good.that doesnt "make" it good though...

i would think that too if anybody kills my kind

those sith are a big no no [face_shame_on_you]

why is that ?[face_devil]

4. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Oh come on SithRules - you are playing the devil's advocate now![face_devil]

Ok....Palpatine is soooo EVIL he would make the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of OZ look like a girl scout.

5. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Try this.

For a view on how Palpatine could have seen the galaxy.

6. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Sorry, DarthG..I don't understand...Did all your message come through?

EDIT 1: Ok. Thank you.

7. DarthGroznii

Mar 30, 2005
    Just click the link saying "Try this".

The rest is self-explanatory.

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Personally, I think Palps knew what he was doing was evil, but chose to do it anyways.

It doesn't mean there's absolutely no good in him, but that doesn't mean the Jedi should let him take over and rampage over the galaxy.

9. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 31, 2002
    In some ways I think there is more good in Palpatine then in Anakin. Palpatine never killed little kids, he just wanted absoltute power. In all honestly, don't we all?

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    This is a very interesting question. In other threads, people have defended Anakin based on his past experiences and the belief that he's doing the right thing. We really don't know Palpatine's history, but who's to say he hasn't had similar events in his life, which sent him down the path which he now walks?

Ultimately, both Palpatine and Anakin crave control and see any means to that end as justified.

Any good in him? Probably no more or less than Vader.

11. Jedi_Gem

Jedi_Gem Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2003
    while it does say that in the DVD, it says it in a featurette talking specifically about Anakin/Vader. i don't believe the same holds true for Palpy.

IMHO i think that there has never been any good in Palpy. at least not any that we've seen.

12. DarthGroznii

Mar 30, 2005
    As Palpatine points out, good is a point of view. In fact Obi Wan says many of the truths we cling to, depend on one's point of view.

Palpatine certainly can think he's doing good. After all, he's rid the galaxy of a corrupt, decrepit Republic, which allowed armed groups of thugs like the Trade Federation to prosper.

13. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005

there wouldn't have been dis-order to the galaxy if he hadn't orchestrated a war to ultimately get what he wanted. he also sacrificed several apprentices along the way, again to get his way. as for showing compassion toward a bar-b-qued anakin, i'm sure he was concerned that his new acquisition that it had taken him so long to obtain was damaged. this doesn't make him good. i beleive the idea that he may have once been good, like anakin, but was seduced by the dark side long ago.

14. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 31, 2002
    With the exception of Dooku, who else did Sidious sacrafice? Certainly not Darth Maul. His death was a big blow to Sidious.

15. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    i agree about maul. my point was that all of the events of star wars in effect are the result of sidious' orchestrated war to gain control and get rid of the jedis. in the end, an awfull lot of people/creatures died so he could get his way.

16. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    Hypothetical time.

Suppose you are faced with 2 choices -

You can absolute total control.

Keep living the way things are.

Every single Jed.....oh, wait.

Every single one of us would take the absolute power to ensure our own protection, the protection of our friends and families, and the protection of others because in our minds, every one of us has an idea of how the world should be.

Even if that absolute power wasn't outright handed to us, but was REALISTICALLY within our reach, most of us would go after it, by any means.

So, we would get that power, start off with the best of intentions.

And then other people, opposing you for the sake of opposing, would speak out.

Others, who feel your way is not the right way, would speak out.

You would then perceive them to be enemies of the land etc etc.

It's easy to sit here and preach ideals when we have the luxury of not being presented with that choice.

But we all know, nobody knows us like we know ourselves, and we know waht is best for us, so if we had that kind of power, we would make it "our world"

17. Dj_Stevie_C

Dj_Stevie_C Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    ^^

What he said. I think sometime somewhere there may have been good in Palpatine, but I also think something happened to him to make him want control over everything, his abiltiy to control two sides of a war that potentially killed millions pretty much made him completely Evil, he doesn't have any love in his heart only the thirst for control and power, he didn't want everyone to die, but he wanted everyone to live and die on his terms, I don't think there was any way to 'save' him which Mace and Yoda recognised. Only Anakin saw a 'good side' but that was because Palpatine was using him.

18. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Still Good in Palpatine?

[face_laugh]

Good is a point of view! No one save for murdering sadists know they are doing something wrong and if by chance they find out, it's all the better to them.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Taking it from a Christian perspective, all people have some amount of evil to them. Whether it's Adolf Hitler or Martin Luther King Jr, nobody is perfect. That's why we cannot label other people as being evil or good, because we have evil within ourselves. A good analogy is a convicted murderer serving as a judge at another murderer's trial. You simply can't trust him to make a fair and impartial decision with his kind of history. That's why there's the principle that peole shouldn't judge others morally...because they're more or less guilty of the same crime.

When it comes to fighting evil, that's where things get sketchy. While you shouldn't allow an enemy to overrun your homeland/homeworld/Republic, you shouldn't launch an all-out genocide against them either. So when we go to war, we hope that these two never overlap...as it did when Mace tried killing Palpatine.

20. Nktalloth

Nktalloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    Hm. Interesting question. I do not believe in good and evil (neither the time nor place to explain why.), and so I shall answer a different question. Was Palpatine good for society? Yes. Indeed he was. He created a stable government based around a single, strong, and intelligent leader. When said government was threatened, he stopped at nothing to destroy them. The senate was a weak system, to ripe for corruption. With one person there's a fifty/fifty chance of them being corrupt, however with so many more "public servants" to leech off of the money of the people, to lie to them and cheat them, the corruption within the government multiplies. He formed a good army (until they became Stormtroopers) that was entirely constructed of a single person's clones, thus preventing large losses in wars. If you prefer biblical morals, well do you remember "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"? If one looks at the Jedi and magic closely, one could argue the Jedi Order uses witchcraft to further their means. I won't however.

Now, let's look at him as we try to list all the bad things he's done. He destroyed an order of elite peacekeepers in order to allow himself to take controll of the current government, destroyed a planet where he suspected rebels are hiding, fried a few people with lightning, and lied to Anakin to save his life.

To answer the crude question, yes. Overall a "good" man.

21. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    Everyone is born evil - good is a choice we make.

That's why it's easier to do the wrong thing, and so hard to do the right thing.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, Palpatine created two fake armies - robots and fake humns - to fight it out against each other and weeded out all the croooked people in the process.

It's not like he instituted a draft and involved real people.

22. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Everyone is born evil - good is a choice we make.

This point of view is the reason most people don't understand what we call "evil," and make all sorts of erroneous conclusions about it.

There is good in Palpatine. There is good in everyone.

*used to being the minority opinion on this topic*

23. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Its like George W Bush, he thinks hes doing good defending 'freedom' and 'fighting terrorists', but really....

Palpatine was just selfish, thinking only of power for himself and the Sith legacy

24. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Still Good in Palpatine?

of course not [face_not_talking]

is there any evil in obi wan ?[face_tired]

the question is pretty much the same

25. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    The scene we needed:

Emperor: Come, Vice Chair Amedda. Grand Moff Tarkin is expecting us.
    Mas Amedda: I know, Chancellor.
    Emperor: So, you have accepted the truth.
    Mas Amedda: I've accepted the truth that you were once Cos Palpatine, Senator from Naboo.
    Emperor: That name no longer has any meaning for me!
    Mas Amedda: It is the name of your true self, you've only forgotten. I know there is good in you, Darth Plageis hasn't driven it from you fully. That was why you couldn't destroy me, that's why you won't bring me to your Grand Moff now.

Naaaahh, doesn't work, does it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.