main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO StL's Official Costuming thread!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I am all for a costume day. Trading of skills or training works for me. And the hood can be tricky but I have made 4 Jedi robes to date, so I am getting rather good at them. :p

I am usually free most weekends. January seems so far away. LOL

2. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Okay, after reviewing all the Rose Bowl Parade footage I am going to try and find a costume to join the 501st too. I will probably just do an Imperial Officer to start out with, then maybe a Stormtrooper. I am of course going to have to loose weight for the Stormtrooper. But man they looked so great and the crowds love them. The pride they must of felt that day.
    Then there is my Shaak Ti headpiece. I am going to try for the latex. It entails a lot more work, but if done correctly it might be the only one out there. I have only seen paper mache or fabric constructed headpieces.

Anyway, would love to get together soon with any interested parties to discuss ideas, techniques, trade skills, etc.

3. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    I am with you Leash, been thinking about it for a while. They have all the fun... :p

4. JediCirrus

JediCirrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    Imperial Officers are the easiest to get accepted into the 501st. Once your in, you can always work on another costume. If you head over to the local Garrison the 70th Explorers, there are some discusions regarding the officer uniform. There are also 2 sites that have alot of direct information on putting together the uniform.

Imperial Costume Site

Heart of the Alliance

If you need any help getting any more information, let me know. I have not done an officer uniform myself though.

I still want to try and have a sewing party sometime soon. Going to have to wait till I can afford some fabric though. Maybe by the end of the month. I'll keep you all posted if your still interested.

5. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks Tony! I've looked over the 501st site a little, but will definitely check out the other links too.

You might want to try Walmart for fabric. They are closing their fabric depts., nationwide and you might find what you need alot cheaper. I plan to this weekend.

Also, if you go to Hancock's website and sign up there for their ads, they always send a monthly advert to your home and it has a 40% off coupon off one non-sale item.

6. JediCirrus

Oct 25, 2002
    Glad I could be of help!!!

The info for both of those sites comes from 501st members. Just a little more detailed.

I'll have to see about getting the ad for Hancock's. Thanks for the tip.

7. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Just wanted to post my excitement about a great find my fiancé spotted. We were at JoAnn's looking for fabric for the original design outfit I have for Darth Talon to where when he spotted some awesome fabric that looks like real leather from a distance (can't currently remember the contents). Anyway, I was nervous about it, because in handling it in the store it dyed my hands purple, however, one rinse in the wash took out the access dye and left me with some easily sewible fabric that has the look I want. :)

8. Darian_Ordo

Darian_Ordo Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2006
    Susan and I are also working on some 501st costumes. She got a combo Christmas/birthday present in the form of a complete biker scout. It needs a bit of work but it won't take too much to get it up and running. I have a set of snow trooper armor I bought on Ebay that I am trimming up and starting some work on. I don't have the helmet or any of the soft parts yet but will have them as soon as I get some money. Susan has also thought about starting a Visas Marr costume from KOTOR II. It is still up in the air if the new EU detatchment of the 501st will allow that costume yet but she wants to do it anyway.

9. Gabrin_Kinoda

Gabrin_Kinoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2006
    Dammit, Brandon, I was going to post about that. :p
    But yeah, my Biker is sittin' in a box, needin' some lovin'. The helmet (a Don Post) is about 90% crap, but I'm pretty sure I can "bring it up to specs." I've got to make the canvas cummerbund a little bigger ('cause I'm FAT!!). I need some boots, a flight suit, and some new gloves, and that should about do it.

Sorry, Rhonda, but you're not going to be the only Biker Babe in the 70th in a few months. [face_dancing]

Oh yeah, I don't know if you have them in STL, but Jo Ann Fabrics is having a HUGE sale next weekend (Fri the 12th through Mon the 15th). Half off clearance fabric, $1.99 Simplicity patterns, and lots of other good stuff!

10. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Earwen, that is cool that you found that fabric. Leather is so expensive. Ugh! Don't forget pics, we need pics of the finished product.

Susan and Brandon, you two are becoming regular costuming junkies. LOL! You guys looked so great at Dragoncon, I am sure that these costumes will look great too!

11. Gabrin_Kinoda

Gabrin_Kinoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2006
    Looks like we've all got some good projects for the year. Earwen, I can't wait to see your Darth Talon, too!

12. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Walmart in Kirkwood will be having a $1 sale on all fabric Jan. 19, 20 and 21st. The lady said all local Walmarts will be closing their fabric departments, so you will want to check with your local one to see what sale dates they have. It may be the same as mine. What a shame... :(

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
  14. JediCirrus

Oct 25, 2002
    Possible costuming event on 30 Jan 07 (Tuesday eve) for the release of Timothy Zahn?s new book ?Star Wars - Allegiance?. Details still being worked but it should be at a borders location. Check 70th Explorers Garrison Upcoming Events for more info as we get it.

15. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Keep us posted. A couple of us may be able to come. :D

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Tony, Brandon, Susan, and I were talking tonight. Some weekend we want to get together for a big costuming workshop. Tony offered up his place to use, for at least the first time. We were thinking of doing a couple between now and D*C. The first being potentially the weekend of 2/24-25.

17. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Cool! That ties in with the costuming club we want to start. (See the group survey and input thread.)

18. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Dajuan, you ever going to be able to finish the rest of the soft stuff for my pilot before you run off on us?

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't know, it's very tedious and I have to sew on the floor so it hurts to sew for a long time.

20. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Darn, I will be out of town that weekend visiting a very dear and good friend,with some of my other very, dear, good friends. But, since we brought this up in the new group ideas thread and it seemed to catch on there too, I am sure we will have many more costuming get togethers.

21. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    This is the weekend I will be gone too; the one I have been talking about for a month now... Darn, guess I won't be able to get in on this one either... I keep missing all the fun lately. :(

22. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Not a problem. I'm sure I can figure something out.

23. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Hey, I'm wondering if it would possible to move the costume day to the next weekend? There are several us that would like to attend. If possible... :)

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I can't be there next weekend. Out of town.

25. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Ok, how about the next weekend? That would be the 10/11...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.