main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO StL's Official Costuming thread!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Looks great!

2. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Hey that is a great looking helmet!

On a different note, anyone know if here is a book out there with the costumes of V from the movie, like the Star Wars one or a book with real good and clear close up shots?

Thanks Medic

3. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Medic, did you try looking on Google's images? You might find some good pictures to use. I don't know of any books though...I think it is a comic book adaption, so you might try looking for that. :D

Good luck! Who are you thinking of doing?

4. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jul 8, 2005
    I "really like " V's costume, I LOVE the detail, suttle yet intreguing ( Sp????) I know on the web site there is a book there, look here I was wondering if anyone has it?

Have no one to make it for really, since Rick ( DH) does NOT costume, or anything that I love to do.

5. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    So I am having a really, really hard time finding a jewel piece for my Shaak Ti costume like this
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/leachaa/shaaktijewelpiece.jpg]

so....if you see something similar or happen to have something similar lying around please let me know. I will be happy to pay someone (under $10. bucks mind you I am broke) or buy them lunch/dinner. I really only need the large round piece as I can add the pearl pieces with no problem.

6. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jul 8, 2005
    We gonna have a Saber building party or belt pouch anytime soon?

7. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I can help plan a saber building party after I get back from the SCA war this coming weekend, but I don't know anything about pouches.

I'm also familiar with where everything is at my Lowes, so if need be, we can start the event with a field trip to show people what's available and then they can pick up parts and start building.

8. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    That is a great idea Jon. Start at Home Depot or Lowe's and then go on from there. There is a great website with alot of different styles of lightsabers, the info on what to buy and how to make them. I can't find the link at the moment, but I will find it and post later.

9. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jul 8, 2005
    hat is a great idea really since some of us "cough cough mr" have NO Idea LOL what we are even starting to look for.

10. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    You're probably thinking of the Big Yellow Box.

Here's some other links:
    Wilcox tutorial
    Kin-Char's tutorial
    Obi style hardware saber
    Doright's PVC saber tutorial
    My ancient saber tutorial

Here's the etched saber Runya mentioned at the Borders meeting.

I'll start thinking about a meeting and organizing that once I get back from the SCA thing. I'll volunteer to plan and host it if everyone would like.

11. Darian_Ordo

Darian_Ordo Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2006
    If you are interested in making a cheep working light saber, I have a great way. It is kind of ghetto if you think about it but it looks good from the out side.

If you pick up a mini Maglight and the red, blue, or green LED convirsion kit, you have the perfict light system for under $30. mount the flashlight inside the tube you choose and slide a poli-carb tube you can pick up from into the other end so the tube is resting flush against the light's lense. The defused tube will light up as good as some of the light saber blades you can buy. I will try to get pics of mine up tonight if I don't pass out from the being up since 3:30.

12. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Here is the link I was thinking of

http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/

Jon, that is so kind of you first to offer to help those interested (including me) in picking out materials. And second how kind of you to offer to plan and host. Just let me know and I will be there!
    And I love, love, love the etched saber. It is soooo cool looking!

Brandon, please fill us in!

13. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    So how did it work out? I need to figure out where to find the poli-carb tube and where do you find the conversion kit?

Jon, I am all for gathering if everyone wants. And my place is free too, if needed. :D

14. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    I have a quick question. Christina and Jon, what did you do about the weight issue of your lightsabers. I am going to have Darrell make me a new one (since my old one has Ray Park signiture on it). The old one he made for me pulled the edge of my belt, so it did not hang right...it looked to heavy. Any suggestions.

15. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Boy Laura, I am not sure. Mine is very light, since right now, the hilt is an empty tube...lol. Wait to see what Jon says, he has made several. :D

16. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I've always thought the same as runya: Mine are too light. It barely feels like I'm holding a paper towel tube.

For me, I typically want a little weight, so I use sink drain pipe (light as hell) with 1" PVC on the inside which can in turn hold a 1/2" PVC blade.

If I don't want a blade, I might instead make the hilt out of EMT conduit which isn't shiny at all but is pretty thick. If anyone remembers the saber I made for Scott for the Ep III premiere, that's what it was made out of.

If yours is too heavy, then it's probably poor material choice. Either that, or your belt isn't tight enough or made of a thick enough leather, which is causing the saber to pull it awkwardly.

17. Darian_Ordo

Darian_Ordo Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2006
    Sorry I havn't got a pic up yet. I have just finished a week of 66.5 hours of work and am facing another week of that or more. I am off on the 12th which is sweet because it is my birth day. The big 30!!!!!.

As for the poli-carb tubing. you can find it at www.customsabershop.com or www.ultrasabers.com in different lengths as well as different tips and such.

The flashlight thing works really well, It is as bright as my ultra saber blade that I have on my light pike, for those of you that have seen it, and is much brighter than Susan's custom MR Vader. I will get some pics up by Tuesday.

18. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Can't wait to see the pictures. Would it be easier to put together? After looking at the sites, my head is spinning. Just what do I need??? LOL I liked the idea of having the blade 'power up'. That would look so cool!

Happy Birthday (early)! But ick that is a lot of hours, don't work yourself to death!

19. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jul 8, 2005
    Wow all this help and ideas , is actually giving me hope I can build one one day.
    W/o a trip to the ER.

20. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    There is a costuming event in Warrensburg with the 501st if anyone is interested...

Name of Event:
    West Central Electric Cooperative Annual meeting

2. Date of Event:
    Friday, August 3rd

3. Time of the Event (including set up/changing):
    Meet at 4:00 Ready by 4:30 goes til 7 ish well until the crappy speaches start

4. Location
    CMSU Multi Purpose Building, Warrensburg, Missouri

Let me know if you want to come play. :D

21. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jul 8, 2005
    Thanks so much, I believe that is AGAIN my Friday night to work.
    WAH!

22. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Leash, here's that same picture of the belt with the contrast adjusted to bring out the details:

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/StarWars/costuming/beltcontrast.jpg]

I hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.