main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stolen equiptment while at college?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by darthdastoli, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    Forgive me if this is deemed off topic, but I am very very curious/concerned about this topic. Have any of you ever had problems with equiptment (computers/firewire drives/external burners, etc.) being stolen from college dorms, etc? I don't believe I've ever seen this instance mentioned in a thread and it seems like something so likely to happen.

2. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm not quite sure what this has to do with making FanFilms. :confused:

3. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    It's probably off-topic, yes, but while it's still open:

I haven't had that experience, but most colleges have quite a few such instances each semester. If your college has a newspaper that keeps track of "campus crime," take a look there. You'll be surprised at how frequent it is. Just keep things under lock and key, literally.

4. Quin-Dara-Ken

Quin-Dara-Ken Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    actually, I'm just gonna take my PC with me to my dorm, and it'll come back home with me for the break, just so my paranoid self can be on the safe side.

5. Sethesh

Sethesh Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    Funny you should mention this..

Tonight, while eating pizza and watching "Eraser" in my dorm room, someone came into my room.. I thought it was my roomate at first, but he opened the door, saw me (I assume) and quickly and quietly left. Being the curious person I am (More like "Who the f$^& was that..") I exited my room, and caught the guy in the hall. Apparently he was searching for a friend of his. The strange thing this, you can't get to my floor without the person your visiting going to get you first..

I have a lot of crap in my room, books, dvds, my precious replica of the one ring, but more importantly, my DV camera, my computer, my TV, my external video card, DVD player and VCR, etc etc.. My first instinct was to grab my History of Western Civilization book and chase after the dude just incase he did manage to grab something without me seeing.

Arghh, its fustrating. Helpful hint: Always keep your door locked.

6. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Back when I was in college, not everyone had a computer, actually having a full computer system in your room was actually very rare. We all had our typewriter/word processor combos.

The things that usually got stolen on campus were bikes. They were always a hot item.

As for "security measures" in dorms. Being someone who worked in the dorms (RA) dont be so naive to think nobody can get into your dorms...they can. I have done it as well as seen it all over campus.

Best thing to do was stated above...keep it under lock and key. There are pleanty of ways to lock down your comp to your desk which will make it difficult (but not impossible) to have your comp. lifted.

7. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    In my dorm room I have a TV/VCR, XBOX, Desktop computer, laptop, and DV cam. I of course am totally paranoid about someone stealing my stuff, especially since the security sucks on my floor. I've taken to locking my door at almost all times (when I'm in there, when I go to the bathroom, anything). Be very careful, keep your door locked and if possible lock up your stuff when you're not using it.

-Kol.

8. brokenglassltd

brokenglassltd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    Most colleges have a problem with theft. There are thousands of students that report theft of very expensive equipment. Usually in film schools or schools geared toward arts, it seems to be less. Sometimes that's because people respect others extremely overpriced toys.
    We aren't saying, no thefts not a problem in colleges. Be careful. Theft is always a possibility. At any point you can take your computer or DV Camera or light set home. Do it. Bored mind tend to run rampid over the summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.