main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Stolen Moments - An L/M Songfic (Luke, Mara, Leia, Talon Karrde. Angst, Romance. Post VotF)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lane_Winree, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Title: Stolen Moments
    Genre: Songfic, angst, romance
    Rating: PG
    Song: Music: "Stolen Moments" by Oliver Nelson, originally appearing on the album "Blues and the Abstract Truth". Lyrics: Mark Murphy
    Characters: Luke, Mara Jade, Leia, Talon Karrde
    Summary: Mara Jade Skywalker had just gotten married. It should have been the single happiest night of her life, so why then was her stomach tying itself into a thousand Ithorian half-hitches?

Notes: This is one of those songfics that hits you randomly after you've set your iTunes playlist to shuffle. I was listening to the Oliver Nelson jazz standard "Stolen Moments" and flashed back to a vocal arrangement (you'll have to settle for this I can't find a good recording of the New York Voices version) I had performed in high school the year I took a break from jazz ensemble to try my hand at vocal jazz. I looked up a recording of the song and listened back to the lyrics I realized that this was the -perfect- Luke/Mara song.

Setting my writer's cap to the side for a moment to put on my musician's fedora, I'd encourage anyone who reads this or is just a plain old music fan to head over to Amazon and buy a copy of Blues and the Abstract Truth, the landmark jazz album that launched Oliver Nelson's career and helped to define West Coast jazz.

~*~

Stolen Moments
    Stolen Moments

There were times when Mara Jade wondered if this was really meant to be. She brought her hands under her cheek, shifting slightly on the mattress as she stared at the sleeping form of her husband. The last few days had been a whirlwind, but she supposed that was to be expected of any sort of noteworthy event involving the great Luke Skywalker, hero of the New Republic. Of course she would have preferred a significantly quieter wedding sans the firefights, kidnapping, and murder attempts that had led up to it, but Mara was thankful that in the end the ceremony itself had been flawless

Why, then, was her stomach tying itself into a thousand Ithorian half-hitches?

This can?t possibly work.

Mara chewed on her lower lip as the thought punched its way back to the forefront of her mind. It had been a long while since those concerns had plagued her thoughts. She had nearly convinced herself that her fears were utterly irrational and that they would be fine. Mara frowned. Of course she knew that wasn?t true. There were very real obstacles and stumbling blocks that could crater their relationship at a moment?s notice.

She was aware of the clear and present danger both of them faced. At any time the Imperial Remnant could resurface or the Jedi could uncover some new threat to the Galaxy as a whole. There were countless threats to their well being and continued existence, but that wasn?t what concerned Mara.

What if they were right?

She brought her knees a little closer to her chest and looked away from Luke, focusing her attention instead on the patterned bed sheets. They had said a lot of things over the years she and Luke had been together. They were doomed to failure. It would never last. She was beneath him. No matter how much rationalizing she did or how often she was reassured by others, Mara never could fully repress her fears that they could be on to something. Over time she had managed to ease those concerns, but they were always there in the back of her mind, threatening to leap back to the surface.

On what should be the happiest night of her life, Mara Jade was consumed by doubt and fear. Gingerly, she reached out towards Luke, brushing a stray strand of blonde hair out of his face. How long was it going to be before he realized that they had a point? Their backgrounds were so wildly different. He was the revered Jedi and beloved hero.

2. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    I LOVE it!!!!!! =) Absolutely amazing, well done!!! You went along with the song just perfectly, and it was such a great one for what you wrote!!! I love love love it! =) I can definitely see Mara having doubts like that, but in the end, sometimes optimism is right!

Great job, looking foreword to more from you!!

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    That piece was lovely. Luke's determination is so Luke. Love it. =D=

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent writing and stellar characterizations, especially for Mara. You made her intense and apprehensive without being melodramatic =D=

5. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Irish_Jedi_Jade - Thank you! I can honestly say, I never expected to be writing a songfic using an old jazz standard. I really do appreciate your kind words about the characterization. Luke has always been a tremendously difficult character for me to write.

FelsGoddess - He may be a Jedi Master now, but there will always be a bit of that old farmboy determination and stubbornness within him. Thanks for reading!

Jade_Eyes - Mara really is a fascinating character to write, especially during the Zahn era stuff. She exudes this aura of strength but you have to wonder what's really going on inside her mind. The consequences of being the Emperor's Hand must weigh on her heavily.

Thank you for reading everyone!

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Just this once, she would concede that he was right. They were going to be fine.

That was wonderful!

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great job

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    KELIA - Thank you! This was a fun one to write.

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

HA! Typical guy, way to put your foot in your mouth Luke. ;)

Very good story, I really felt Mara's pain and Luke is just so adorable when he's so earnest and determined. :)

9. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    that's absolutly brilliant
    awesomely done :D

you don't see Mara often to be unsure about something except it's a matter for the heart ;)
    =D=

10. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    JediMara77 - Oh Luke. Your farmboy antics still show from time to time :D

Thanks for reading and reviewing :)

Maggy - Aww thank you. Mara's always a blast to write :D

11. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Point the first: This really is an amazing piece of writing. You've grown tremendously as a writer. I think the challenge of writing Luke and Mara did you good. :)

Point the second: I don't think I ever read an epic review of this fic, even though it totally deserves one. So here goes (cause I don't wanna do my linguistics homework).

Point the third: You inner musician wears a fedora? Well, at least it isn't a fez.

She brought her hands under her cheek, shifting slightly on the mattress as she stared at the sleeping form of her husband.
    I love the picture you paint with that line.

Of course she would have preferred a significantly quieter wedding sans the firefights, kidnapping, and murder attempts that had led up to it
    But you know, as the great philosophy Jagger once said, you can't always get what you want.

?You might want to shut down the repulsorlift motivators next time,? Mara Jade said from the co-pilot?s seat.
    Oh Karrde. Next time he's going to leave the parking brake on.

He was certain that Shada D?ukal would be fill the role admirably, but he would miss Mara.
    Uh-huh. Admirably. Sure. [inappropriate comment about the nature of Shada's relationship with Karrde here]

They were greeted at the bottom of the ramp by Aves, his longtime aide and communications officer.
    AVES! *squee*

He was dimly aware that there was something there between them, but that alter the fact that seeing them together was rather unexpected and jarring.
    I really didn't want to nitpick at all with this, because this story really doesn't need it. But there's a typo with "alter."

?This headline?s a gem. Jedi Master?s Torrid Love Affair With the Emperor?s Hand. Honestly Mara, you step on Coruscant for ten minutes and the media goes wild. This one?s absurd even by the Daily?s standards.?
    Aves, I rencind your *squee* and in its place, I'm going to smack you upside the head.

?They would all miss wide-right.?
    Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy!

Of the reasons to leave his home every day, Mara Jade was second only to an out of control fire.
    Cutest. Thought. Ever. My inner squee is reaching critical mass. Why do I think you're going to kill it?

?Jedi Master Luke Skywalker pouting? That?s rather unbecoming of you, farmboy.?
    But she's surprised? What universe has she been living in?

"I didn't say I'd fly it," Luke raised his hands defensively. "We'd just...hide out there."
    Han is still gonna kill him. Listen to the smart lady, Luke.

For a brief moment, Luke could sense an intense flash of pain coursing through Mara.
    Oh my goodness, poor Mara. She needs a hug. The other lady needs to be smacked.

She despised that style of journalism but had learned to shrugged it off. Leia had heard much worse during her political career.
    There's another typo in there.

Occasionally Han had a good idea spring out from that over-active mouth of his.
    I love that they still have moments of Slap Slap Kiss in their relationship.

?This really does not reflect well on him,? the slick-haired news anchor said. ?Is he naive enough to believe that one of Emperor Palpatine?s personal aides really has done an about-face??
    What's not gonna reflect well on anyone is that jerk's face after Luke beats him.

?He might be foolish, but that certainly isn?t a contributing factor[.]?
    I mean, this is Luke Skywalker we're talking about.

?This has to end,? Luke said quietly.
    Word Selection Fail. -15 points.

?I know you went out of your way to let us use your apartment today, but I think Mara and I are going to take a walk through the park instead.?
    There's really nothing to say here except d'awwwwwwwwww. [face_love]

Just this once, she would concede that he was right. They were going to be fine.
    This ending is so incredibly sweet. I'm just gonna sit around and grin idiotically with the happiness right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.