Stone Sour: Bombshell Band or Suicidal Side Project?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Otto_den_Ktulu, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otto_den_Ktulu Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, Stone Sour, side project to Slipknot's Corey Taylor.

I picked up their CD at Best Buy last night because I can't get their hit "Bother" out of my head. IMHO it's one of the most calming, mellow songs I've ever heard from new rock. I love this CD, it's amazing.

Some people probably disagree with me, do you?
  2. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In my opinion, if a band does a side project, it's a "suicidal side project" -- at least for the band that the artist came from. A lot of the times when a side project is started, the band never gets back together.

Honestly, I'm a fan of Stone Sour moreso than Slipknot. The melodies are more enchanting and the music isn't as hard edged in most songs. All in all, I'd say they're a pretty successful side project.

And just wondering, on a side note, but in the music video for Stone Sour... was Taylor wearing his mask? Because I remember him saying in an old guitar world interview that the second his mask comes off, Slipknot is no more.
  3. Otto_den_Ktulu Force Ghost

star 5
    No, he wasn't wearing a mask.

I believe that his comment of Slipknot being no more pertained to, once the mask comes off in Slipknot, than the band is no more.

In metal edge, he says that Slipknot is still going on, they're just taking a small break between tour and studio. But Slipknot still exists, and only for Slipknot will the masks be.
  4. DarthYama Jedi Master

star 4
    In my opinion, if a band does a side project, it's a "suicidal side project" -- at least for the band that the artist came from. A lot of the times when a side project is started, the band never gets back together.

Is A Perfect Circle an exception rather than the norm?
  5. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes, most definately. As I said, most of the time side projects tear a band apart. In most cases, when someone goes off on their own, they don't like the limitations of the band. Whereas bands such as Tool allow growth and change to occur to the band as much as possible. I mean, if you compare "Opiate" to "Schism" or "Lateralus", there's a large difference between the songs and style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.