main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stop the bad SW Games! Bring back MOTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jobe06660, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jobe06660

Jobe06660 Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2004
    Greeting fellow Star Wars fans! If you havent noticed as of late, Star Wars games are getting a bit laxed ever since JK2, Jedi
    Outcast. In my opinion, the best game that Lucas Arts has made (as in SW terms) was Mysteries of the Sith. I was thinking that if
    I could get enough fans on my side, that we could persuade Lucas Arts to bring back MOTS in Mysteries of the Sith 2, with
    excelent single and multiplayer modes like the origional MOTS, with smoother saber dueling than JO, and all of the origional
    force powers founded in MOTS and even Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2!!! I would need some of you input, fellow fans on basic game
    play and just over all gaming performance! Thanks again!

what should be kept from Outcast/Academy:

-graphical updates
    -dual lightsabers/staff
    -lightside force powers-they are passive, which they should be
    -weaponry system is good (perhaps better sniper weapon)
    -lightsaber stances (good concept, needs tweaked)
    -this is where aerial/acrobatic combat should be an OPTION, not a REQUIREMENT
    -some could more powerful than others, but not overpowered
    -ever hear of the seven forms of lightsaber fighting? I'm sure if you played Star Wars Galaxies you heard
    of it at some point. you don't have to believe it, just take a look at it to refer to a system that could
    work
    -character customization (heading into the right direction)
    -game modes

What needs to be changed from Outcast/Academy:

-focus on multiplayer
    -dark side powers need to be less passive (that's what the lightside is about)
    -reintroduce force throw (make objects move slower so they're dodgeable)
    -reintroduce force destruction (like the ultimate dark side power)
    -get rid of Force Drain, Rage is ok though
    -some new force powers on both sides
    -weaken force push/pull (too decisive in battle)
    -more GROUND-ORIENTED lightsaber fighting
    -less jumping
    -less aerial uber attacks
    -less 30 minute fights (what a surprise)
    -more FLUID lightsaber fighting
    -quicker parries/blows
    -more follow ups, less delay between attacks which makes saber fighting choppy
    -character classes from MOTS (neat idea that wasn't used)
    -jetpack as well as similar accessories would be neat
    -force vs. lightsaber mastery
    -allotted points for force/lightsaber if Jedi
    -dual lightsabers/staff require more points
    -lightsaber stances require more points
    -less dependency on mods to make the game SEEM better than it is (give us a good building block please)
    -kicks AND punches in combat (have no weapon, go old school)
    -better server system!

I realize that what I suggest sounds overwhelming, but much of it is possible. What was done with Academy was sad. Shallow
    updates/improvements. They just give JK II a new name and call it a different game. As a Star Wars fan, I'm very disappointed
    with the "effort" given towards the Jedi Knight sequels. Gameplay comes first.

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    You could make your own mod you know :)

3. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I didn't think MOTS was all that impressive. Seemed almost like pandering to the EU fans to me. I did like the larger variety in weapons, admittedly, but the levels weren't that fantastic.

4. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Nonsense. The Dromuund Kass levels were neat beans.

Also, I find the idea of a sequel to an expansion pack somehow perverse...

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm heavily biased, because I thought MOTS was pure gaming gold. Massive and really varied levels, utterly involving scenarios, a clever plot with some brilliant dialogue, an impressive array of weaponry and force powers and Mara Jade was the shaz, and I'm not even an EU fan. :p

It was so cleverly strung together, the story winding you through so many levels that I thought were fantastic to play, all with their own exceptional little set-pieces, like the Asteroid Base and the really tense countdown sequence, navigating your way through a Republic ship and man a gun turret and blast some ties while you're at it, a labyrynth-like pirate palace, a Hutt palace, Sith Temples, etc, etc. It kept me so occupied, I was'nt even fussed that there was no Dark Side/Light Side balance.

If someone announced that they were making a MOTS-esque mod for JA, they'd have my full support, however, I really don't see the Quake-3 engine handling such vast maps. That's no excuse for someone to try, of course. :)

6. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    My copy of Mysteries is broke.

It makes the cutscenes go 300mph, so I don't have a clue what the plot is about, other than that Kyle goes dark and Mara has to rescue him.

7. darth254

darth254 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    I really liked MOTS and I like where he's heading with this, especially about the lightsaber combat and the darkside powers.

8. Jobe06660

Jobe06660 Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2004
    Thank you all for your inputs on this matter. If you really like this topic, feel free to copy/paste it to any forums that you would like. Especially if you are in any of the SW game's clans! Maybey eventually we could get some notice from Lucas Arts if this subject is put out to a lot of places?
    If anyone has any direct questions for me, feel free to contact me on AIM at Jobe06660 and msn messenger at Jobenumber1@msn.com!!! Thanks again!

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Where are all these "bad" Star Wars games?
    There are some pretty bad ones, but not every game can be excellent.

-Galactiv Battlegrounds was good. Certainly nothing new, but still solid enough to be fun.
    -Star Wars Racer, or whatever it's title is, was maybe the best of all TPM games, although SW Starfighter wasn't bad either. That was the only time, were Star Wars games weren't that good.
    -Clone Wars was okay, Bounty Hunter was good
    -Rogue Squadron 2+3 were very good to excellent
    -Jedi Academy was great, although the story was pretty weak
    -Galaxies may not be the best MMORPG, but it certainly has a big fellowship
    -Battlefront is fun. Mainly a multiplayer-game, but you still can have fun in single-player mode
    -KOTOR was awesome, in my opinion even better than Jedi Knight and TIE Fighter, got countless Game of the year awards

The next games comming are KOTOR 2, which looks even better than the first one, Republic Commando, something new in the Star Wars sector and the Episode III game, which looks way better than the games for TPM & AOTC.

10. Jobe06660

Jobe06660 Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2004
    Im talking after MOTS, as soon as JO came out, the series was not improved, just made for more eye candy. My point on this topic is that if Lucas Arts Brings back MOTS in MOTS2, then a classic game could be revived and even help the JK series out! I was just very dissapointed on how the transaction from MOTS to JO. No classic forces like destruction, and it just seemed that Lucas Arts wanted to put out a game w/ more eye candy. So keep this point in mind.

11. darth254

darth254 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    Jedi Academy is a rehash and has some improvements over Outcast, but has the same fundamental problems with force powers, lightsaber combat, etc....there are good games out there, but SWG is definitely a disappointment and the number of people playing that game isn't nearly as great as it could have been. KOTR games are very good...but single player. The Jedi Knight series is on the decline. It needs something to save it.

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    KOTOR is single player, so what?
    Not every game needs multiplayer. I rather have a game that actually has some story than playing the same multiplayer modus in every single game...

Galaxies might not be in the same class as games like World of Warcraft, but it gets better all the time.

Not every series needs to be saved. The Jedi Knight series went downhill, at least a bit, but who knows, maybe there won't be another Jedi Knight...
    Heck, you might find many people, who like the way the Jedi Knight series has taken.

I love MOTS, but in my opinion LucasArts has made many excellent games since then, even some superior ones.

13. Pizza_the_Hutt456123

Pizza_the_Hutt456123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    I've never heard of Mysteries of the Sith, what system was it on??

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  15. Jobe06660

Jobe06660 Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2004
    Well thank you for all of you comments. If you really want this mod up and running for good, then go to http://www.jediknightii.net and post a reply that you would like this mod to be in full production ASAP in my thread there! Thanks again!

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Umm. Hows about a direct link?

17. Fallen_Jedi21

Fallen_Jedi21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2004
    IMO, Jedi Academy is the more expensive Jedi Outcast version of MOTS. It didn't really add anything special and you weren't Kyle (You're Mara Jade for most of MOTS). The JK series is all about Kyle, and any other JK series games where you're not him should be expansion packs.

18. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think Mysteries of the Sith was good, but it's far from the best SW game I've played. I think the SW games in the last few years to come out have been great. Knights of the Old Republic and Battlefront are the best games I've played...ever.

19. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I think I'll just call George Lucas right now, and get them to do that! ;)

20. Jobe06660

Jobe06660 Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2004
    Ok, here is your direct link... http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=474

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That's not a direct link.
    This is a direct link.

Honestly, with the Dark Forces mod having been going for 2 or 3 years, and only at a 3-level release, and a JK mod and a Shadows of the Empire mod in the works, I think you'l be waiting a heck of a long time before anyone seriously considers a MOTS mod.

The one glimmer of hope is that a tool was made to convert JK levels to Jedi Academy for the JK mod, which I'd assume can also handle MOTS levels.

http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/

[image=http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/images/shot0000.jpg]

22. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Never got more than 1/3 way through MoTS. By the time I got it (when it was $10 on the shelves), I've had enough of FPS to *#?% my @(~!

Same story with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Just no interest. Been there, done that.

What we need is another flight sim, like Alliance (Best SW game ever) but with all the EP1-3 ships shoved in there, and a great storyline, and lots of cutscenes.

23. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
  24. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Thanks, saved the link. But I'm REALLY into KOTOR for my 2nd time (1st on the X-Box, this time on the comp).

Game is a curse. Wake up. Play a long time. Think about nap. Play more. Think about dinner. Play more. Play more. Pass out. Repeat next day.

Just one of those games you have to *finish*

25. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    That's not a direct link.
    This is a direct link.

[image=http://www.highlightzone.de/film/film_bilder/crocodile_dundee_3.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.