main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stop the bad SW Games! Bring back MOTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jobe06660, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Seemed almost like pandering to the EU fans to me.

Nothing wrong with that, my dear Hawk ;)

What is the mould, the paradigm, for excellence in SW games? I say TIE Fighter. It's simply brilliant in every way, bar the graphics, which look a bit dated today.

Perhaps I am being influenced by my love of all things Imperial, but still, it was a damned solid flight sim, and I really enjoyed killing those pesky Dymocks and pwning Harkov's fleet.

And my username was inspired by TIE Fighter, too! ;)

2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Look who it is. It's the Jedi Knight MINE freek!

Hey AZ, been ages since I've seen you around. How're things?

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000

[image=http://www.highlightzone.de/film/film_bilder/crocodile_dundee_3.jpg]

I see you've played Knifey-Spooney before, eh?

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    My good Zaarin, Huggard bless your EU-loving tendencies. TIE Fighter remains the yardstick against which all SW games are measured, yet none stack up. The last to truly contend was KOTOR, and XWA before that. MOTS was a good game (or expansion pack, whatever) but it certainly wasn't the definitive SW experience.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I must disagree. KOTOR is far more than a contender. I think it is definitely the pinnacle of SW gaming experience. And we have to see if the sequel actually exceeds that pinnacle. Given that I look at the aged TIE FIGHTER with jaded eyes (sorry, XWA is simply far superior in my book), I just don't understand the adulation the game gets.

I guess we could have a MOTS sequel of sorts, starring Mara Jade with her sidekick Luke :p. It could be made in the old Quake 3 engine or something better. And to keep wallowing in EU madness, it could be a game that pits the both of 'em against the last Sithlord (or in this case, lady): Lumiya.

6. darth254

darth254 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    Well, I think MOTS' multiplayer was awesome. No one really played it however. I guess they didn't like that there did not exist a dark/light side. But it had character classes, fun levels, new force powers from the first JK. If they looked at this game's multiplayer and modded JO and JA around its foundation, I think it would be a lot of fun.

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Sniper scope.

Seeking Rails.

NUFF SAID.

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Given that I look at the aged TIE FIGHTER with jaded eyes (sorry, XWA is simply far superior in my book), I just don't understand the adulation the game gets.

Meh, "X-Wing: Alliance" just didn't have the challenge that "Tie Fighter" had, nor the storyline (which, i know, was somewhat rushed for XWA)..

Also, there has just NOT been any craft in the X-Wing games that can stack up to how fun the TIE DEFENDER was to fly....PLUS you get to fly with DARTH VADER ON YOUR WING!

I think, to, that "Tie Fighter" had the benefit of kind of taking place OUTSIDE of the standard "star Wars" storyline, thus allowing you to have levels that told a story where you DID NOT KNOW what was going to happen, ya know?

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Meh, "X-Wing: Alliance" just didn't have the challenge that "Tie Fighter" had, nor the storyline

I think, to, that "Tie Fighter" had the benefit of kind of taking place OUTSIDE of the standard "star Wars" storyline, thus allowing you to have levels that told a story where you DID NOT KNOW what was going to happen, ya know?

BOLLOCKS.

1/ The storyline of XWA was fantastic and also took place outside "SW canon", thus not knowing what happened, and even when you started working for the Rebels you didn't know exactly what was happening next. The fact that it intermixed with the real events in "SW" made the game so much more appealing and involving.

2/ XWA was challenging, if you didn't use the "unlimited ammo" and "invulnerability" :p Some missions were damn hard.

3/ XWA pwns.

10. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    It does pwn, but TF pwned more. Put aside the graphics for a moment and think about how revolutionary each was for its time. XWA was a great game, but it didn't bring anything new to the genre. TF gave people the chance to do what they had wanted to do for a long time - be the bad guy. The storyline was a work of art in itself, exploring the politics of the Empire and even providing a background for the EU's most infamous villian, Thrawn. At its time of release, it simply had no equal in terms of plot, gameplay or even graphics. The fact that there are still people out there playing it and designing custom campaigns for it is a testament to its durability as one of the greats of gaming, even outside the SW community.

Edit: DARTH VADER. Nuff said.

11. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    Hey AZ, been ages since I've seen you around. How're things?

I'm great, thanks. How are you goin'?

Also, there has just NOT been any craft in the X-Wing games that can stack up to how fun the TIE DEFENDER was to fly....PLUS you get to fly with DARTH VADER ON YOUR WING!

Being Lord Vader's wingman = fanboy wetdream come true. ;)

As far as the XWA vs TF storyline wars, I think that they aren't really that comparable. TF was all about the internal workings of the political/military complex of teh Empire. Political intrigue, defections, betrayal, all that.

XWA was a family based thing, more personal. You were Ace Azzameen, rather than the Imperial fighter corps' faceless Tommy Atkins. You had your brother, sister, father, uncle, and the rather aggressive Emkay around. They said things, they had personality.

It kind of depends on what you're into, really. TF's plot = big sweeping movements effecting the stability of the galaxy, XWA = the little things holding the Azzameen clan together.

Personally I loved both, but TF just had the edge of letting you be the Imperial Tommy I spoke of before.

I mean, dude, you get to fly TIE Defenders and stuff! You get to fly with Vader! Nuff said! =P~

12. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    rather than the Imperial fighter corps' faceless Tommy Atkins

Actually, I think his name was Maarek Stele and there is meant to be some sort of background for him, plus he works his way into the highest echelons of the Emperor's secret order. That just makes it so much awesomer though. :D

13. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    AZ, oh no, here come the skin requests :)

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, I guess that, ultimately, I didn't care much about playing as a scummy Imp goose-stepper. Yes, the TIE Defender and the Missileboat are fun to fly and the devastation caused by either ship is...wondrous to behold. But ultimately, they were a pipe dream (or a TIE jockey's wet dream). Had both fighters been deployed at Endor, I believe that battle would've turned out quite differently.

15. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    AZ, oh no, here come the skin requests

;)

16. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Meh, "X-Wing: Alliance" just didn't have the challenge that "Tie Fighter" had, nor the storyline

BOLLOCKS.

1/ The storyline of XWA was fantastic and also took place outside "SW canon", thus not knowing what happened, and even when you started working for the Rebels you didn't know exactly what was happening next. The fact that it intermixed with the real events in "SW" made the game so much more appealing and involving.

I dunno that i'd say it was FANTASTIC. It was your standard "your father died, leaving his ship to you and your family. Your greedy uncle wants to make some money, and screw you kids" plot. It's been done before, and besides, the storyline was never even COMPLETED. I think you have to give the edge in story to TIE FIGHTER (not saying i didn't enjoy XWA, cause i *DID*, but it had flaws.)

2/ XWA was challenging, if you didn't use the "unlimited ammo" and "invulnerability" Some missions were damn hard.

I have never in my life used a cheat code on any of the X-Wing games, which is why (i think), i also have become so proficient at this style of game. I've heard MANY people complain that the original "X-Wing" is among the toughest games they've ever played. It took alot of practise, but i eventually became quite good at that one. However, i understand that alot of people didn't have the same level of patience with the game. As a result, both "Tie Fighter" AND "X-Wing: Alliance" had a significantly lower difficulty level.

I found both games to be a whole lot easier then "X-Wing". However, i still found "Tie Fighter" to be the tougher game, simply because the twists and turns that happened in mission kept you on your toes.. How many games have a mission where it's a REQUIREMENT for you to call in for backup? And how long did most players try to stay alive in that mission before reading a cheat somewhere that TOLD them they had to call for backup?

Also, "ALLIANCE" came out AFTER "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter", and thus had significant improvements in friendly AI.

In "Tie Fighter", it was still more or less YOU vs. EVERYONE, with your wingmen (besides Vader) being pretty much useless, and rarely surviving.

In "Alliance", your buddies managed to stay alive longer AND to actually accomplish significant portions of your mission objectives, thus making things easier overall.

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    not really wanting to cause a huge argument. (oops to late :p) but name another flight sim game that has that same plot, if it's been "done before"... secondly, any other genre. I'm curious.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Umm. Cat amongst pigeons here, but SFL, have you actually played TIE fighter?

19. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    In "Tie Fighter", it was still more or less YOU vs. EVERYONE, with your wingmen (besides Vader) being pretty much useless, and rarely surviving.

It was generally better to send most of your wingmates home if they weren't necessary, to be honest. That was the only way to get the top-shelf scores for each mission, the sneaky buggers would steal your kills otherwise.

20. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Didn't part of the XWA plot draw upon the Tie Fighter plot? The part where Zaarin is making those prototypes?

I don't even remember the original X-Wing plot, it was so long ago (other than blowing up the Death Star) I do remember that as soon as you got in enemy range, you wingmen were vaped instantly or crashed into another ship.

21. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    [image=http://vivien.franken.de/images/pets/cat_bird.jpg]

The caption up the top reads in English:

"aha: that will teach that pesky jp-30 for sticking his beak where it doesn't belong Eww! He tastes like old cabbages!"

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So that means "no, you haven't played TIE Fighter" obviously.

And if my 3rd form german is up to scratch, that caption actually says Search photo: Somewhere in this photo a small bird has hidden itself! Find it!

pwnd x2

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > I don't even remember the original X-Wing plot, it was so long ago (other than blowing up the Death Star) I do remember that as soon as you got in enemy range, you wingmen were vaped instantly or crashed into another ship.

The best plan was to alt-W them all - make them stop dead, and use them as live bait to distract the enemies. While the Imps were pummelling your sitting duck wingmen you could proceed with the mission with less distraction, or wipe out the enemy fighters as they looped around your "allies".

Heh.

24. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I kinda want to play that game again, just don't wanna go through all the bother of setting it up in XP

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    X-Wing? The trouble of downloading VDMSound and right clicking the xwing.exe icon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.