JCC [Stories about voting] So I voted today in my first Presidential Election..

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheGuardianofArlon, Nov 1, 2012.

1. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    Took two hours to do, but I did. Was it cold a bit outside? Yeah, but I actually wasn't too bothered by it. Plus I was grinning somewhat the whole time outside because I wanted to feel like some smug jerk for some reason. I don't know, did I think standing in line smiling was equivalent to trolling? No idea.

Share your stories about when you first voted
  2. tom Chosen One

star 6
    uh, is it election day where you are? this is a pretty weird story.
    MASTERPRENN likes this.
  3. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
  4. tom Chosen One

star 6
    oh. well you shouldn't act like a smug jerk. it's not very christian.
  5. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    It was just the smiling. I don't know why, but doing it felt like being a jerk.
  6. tom Chosen One

star 6
    it's ok to be excited to do a thing for the first time. why did it make you feel like a jerk?
  7. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Maybe because he voted for a smug rich jerk and he wanted to feel the same way? :p
  8. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    Uh no. I think in my head I felt I was trolling anyone who looked at me, because I didn't look cold and it was very cold out.
    It went away when I talked to someone in line pretty much the whole way.
  9. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    [IMG]
  10. Darth Somnambulous Jedi Master

star 1
    You had to wait two hours to vote early? Man, you're doing it wrong. I waited two minutes once. It was intense.
    WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  11. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    probably not in this case no. I agree.
  12. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
  13. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    cool story, bro.
    Last edited by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 1, 2012
  14. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Congratulations! It's an exciting experience. I'm glad the long wait and the weather didn't hamper the experience for you.
  15. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    I think this was the first election where my vote was actually counted. 04, our campus polling location lost half of the student's voters registration and were out of those fill-in forms, then in 08, my absentee out-of-country ballot didn't arrive in Prague until AFTER the election.
  16. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Obama thanks you for your support, Arlon.
  17. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    The first election I voted in was the 1997 Va Governors race. (I'd turned 18 the previous September and thus eligible to vote that November.) It was an awesome feeling being actually in a polling place and being allowed to vote (I'd gone to polling places when I was younger when my mom went to vote) and have it count.
  18. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I think that early voting makes a man attractive.
    Healer_Leona and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I was taking AP US government last election, so my teacher invited anyone who was 18 to meet at the voting center and vote at the same time as him.

This year I voted by absentee ballot, so I got to vote about 3 weeks ago.
  20. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Proud to say that my vote will cancel yours out.
  21. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    I went and physically dropped off my mail-in ballot at a polling station, because I decided I was too cheap to pay for postage. I guess the advantage then is that I don't have to wait in line.
  22. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I first voted in 2004 for Kerry against Bush. I turned in my ballot and went home peacefully. Bush won.

In 2008 I cast my vote for Obama and when I was done I announced my vote to the crowd in line and challenged any McCain voters to unarmed combat. Thousands stepped up and I beat there old, elderly asses into the dirt. Obama won.
    Ender_Sai likes this.
  23. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I am glad you went early and helped keep the evil Mitt Romney at bay, Arlon. Well done.
  24. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    actually arlon's vote was already rendered meaningless by a combination of the electoral college and the demographic makeup of his state. just like nearly all the votes of everyone

to say nothing of the fact that even if his vote did count it would just be for one of two nearly identical candidates for CEO of the bourgeois ruling class and therefore is also nonsense.

indeed, the most progressive vote you could make in this election is probably a vote for romney in a non-swing state because if he loses the electoral college but wins the popular vote hilarity may, in fact, ensue, if not meaningful reform

in conclusion, american democracy is nonsense; your only escape is the sweet embrace of death
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Nov 1, 2012
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    lol, did you actually say "bourgeois ruling class"? Come on, stop trying to sound like a university student from the late 80's!

Are you suggesting, too, that Arlol lives in some backwater Republican heckhole?