main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stories set in the Future of the GFFA

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Would you want to see stories set in the far future in the GFFA, where the Jedi are strong again, and the exploits of the Skywalker generation have become just myths and legends of the citizens of the galaxy?

I think that this would open up new fresh and interesting story possibilities, where the author would have no bounds to explore.

* The Jedi would be in huge number
    * There would be the '3rd Galactic Republic' it wouldn't be explained what eventually happened to the New Republic, it would have to just be accepted by the reader; a mystery.
    * The Senate would not be based on members from planetary systems, but by race - so there can be no claims of human or any other racial bias. Every race would be equal, and have an equal voice.
    * The Jedi would not be answerable to the Senate anymore - there are answerable to the Jedi Council and the Force.
    * Extragalactic travel is common - ie: can easily travel back and forth to other galaxies - such as the Vong galaxy.

What are your thoughts? Do you think that Del Rey should attempt something bold like this once NJO is finished???

2. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Definately. It would be great to see, and there would be none of the problems to do with fitting the material into all the little continuity niches.

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    YES! That is the main benefit, where authors are not bound by current storyline criteria. Apart from the storyline framework that I have given above - what elese would you like to perhaps see in this unexplored era?

4. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I'd certainly give it a try.

5. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Would you be open to the possibilty that *anything* can happen, and your prior preconceptions of how 'the clock ticks' in the GFFA will be swept away?

All are current undersanding of the GFFA could be changed in a heartbeat.

It would be like stories set in the industrial age, compared to the information age.

6. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I'd like to see new species that have evolved, bred or been discovered.

Even an evolution of the Jedi powers, maybe different factioning, like a priest sect, warrior sect political, etc. Maybe that could be the central story, the re-unification of the Jedi, another balancing of the Force. Something like that the Jedi thought that balancing needed to be done by having jedi in all aspects, and it grew from there, and now a Jedi has to bring them back together.

7. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    That depends on whether or not I'd be comfortable with this "new reality."

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, perhaps this far into the future, for all we know, the Vong and the rest of the GFFA peacefully co-exist in the galaxy, and their religions have begun to merge, so yes, there is the political, warrior and priest sect of the Jedi . . . very interesting . . .

9. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Maybe even a threat that wipes out the Jedi's access to the Force. You'd have thousands/millions of people who keep order, suddenly feeling like half of them had been ripped out.

10. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    But as with your first post, you would be willing to give it a try?

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Definately. Even if it was done in an elseworlds style thing where we see possibles.

12. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    If I read all of VP wondering through most of it "Why does this have Star Wars on the cover?" and still complete the book or to have read all of PoT, I'd definitely be willing to give the first book in this hypothetical series a read.

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    NO! They should strictly avoid the elseworlds style, and make it apart of official continuity - set in the future!! :)

14. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Do you think that this is the logical next step for LFL, Del / Rey - or do you think that they will or should produce an immediate follow up arc to NJO?

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay. Maybe do different eras set millenia apart?

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes! :)

This storyline will be set millennia apart from NJO! :)

17. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I meant do multiple stepping. Different series' set millenia apart and keep jumping to keep interest.

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, but I would like to see a story arc for each, and you have to remember, NJO takes 5 years, so hopefully the next would do the same.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I do also remember DL's idea a long time ago - he said that he would like to see the galaxy reduced to little kingdoms and fiefdoms - a lawless galaxy.

Perhaps there could be 'the 3rd Galactic Republic' - but it would only consist of the core worlds, and there rest were confederacies . . .

What if there were two Jedi Councils - one for the core worlds, one for the Outer Rim, just like there is the NFL and XFL.

Both would be good, neither evil, but both just different from one another.

20. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    And would the XFL imitators take on stupid new names and hire many scantily-clad cheerleaders?

21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Both pretty good ideas. I prefer series' where they have a central theme but different focus. One of my favs is Asimov's Foundation series.

22. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    No, but seriously, what if they were not as pious as the other council.

Even cooler, what if over the milennia - a Jedi Council / faction formed on the teachings of Luke (the Core), and the other on the teachings of Kyp (outer rim)!

23. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    That would be fascinating.

24. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    How does the Foundation series relate to this . . . I have never read it - what is it about?

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    That would be good. And it's a believable story. Look how many times that has happened in history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.