main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stories set in the Future of the GFFA

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Perhaps the Luke and Kyp founded factions would end up like Christianity and Islam - both founded on the same original faith (Judaism) - same for the Jedi.

2. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Islam wasn't founded upon Judaism, as far as I know anyway. While my knowledge of this time period is limited, Islam strikes me as having nothing or very little connection to Judaism.

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I suppose not really, but I do know that Islam does accept aspects of Christianity and Judaism - it is a bit linear. Ie: Islam accepts Jesus and Abraham as prophets.

4. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    And that is pretty much the only connection.

5. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Morni'n.
    That would be cool. But i wouldnt like it ito far ahead. Maybe when the Solo kids are in their 30s.

6. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    It couldn't be out too far; readers would still need some semblance of a prior frame of reference before moving into a new one.

7. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    I'm not so sure I'd like it really .

I mean if we know for a fact that there will be a flourishing Jedi order, X number of years in the future - which incidently I wouldn't like at all, I much prefer the Jedi being fairly weak and unimportant - then it affects our appreciation of the NJO .What if there are other unwelcome suprises in such a series ?

In any case the idea seems slightly redundant .We have thousands of years of a strong Republic and Jedi Order left untapped in the pre-prequel period .This has the bonus of not making the future set in stone so to speak .

I also kind of feel that perhaps the time for galactic goverments is past and that the GFFA should balklanise to a degree .

Yours

8. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Gatherer--

I like your idea. I'm a little uncertain about species with high populations having only the same representation as species with low populations, but that's just one qualm...

I'll submit my amendment for approval.

Don't just make the new SW stories thousands of years in the future of the "Skywalker Century" (roughly Jedi Apprentice to NJO) of the GFFA.

Make them in the present!

Remember...

"A LONG TIME AGO in a galaxy far far away..."

Now THAT could be interesting... :)

9. Shynryobi

Shynryobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2001
    I would love to read books set in the future, with all new characters!

10. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    Look at it this way: After Episode III, most of, if not ALL EU will be tying Episode III into Episode IV. And some will be prior to Episode I, filling the gaps in the Sith history, major Jedi battles, etc. Sure, the occasionaly story will be in the OT timeframe, or post NJO. Eventually, there will be no more epic stories to tell with movie characters, and people (not us, but other fans) will stop reading EU for the most part. The story will continue, with the NJO survivors, and the NEXT Skywalker/Solo generation. I'd say around 2009 fans will want something new. And that is when this type of series would work.
    But it should be like the Tales of the Jedi. Don't show us characters related to Luke. TotJ didn't have Luke's great great great great great great grandfather, so this idea should not have Luke's great great (etc) grandson. Nor should it have any other character's descendents. Maybe have someone named Calrissian, or even Kenobi, just to tie it together, but it's hardly needed.

And just think of the first page: Fifty years from now, in a galaxy far, far away...

:p

11. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    I'd like it if the GFFA contacted this galaxy like centuries from now when we have are own fleet of starships. That would be really neat. Then people on Earth could find out that they have Force abilities but they just need a little training.

12. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    No. No contact with our galaxy. It's something that nearly every long-lasting series does at one stage or another, and it always turns out badly.

13. CountJared

CountJared Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2000
    Galactica 1980

14. Darth_Shadious

Darth_Shadious Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2001
    How about this:

At the end of the last hardcover of NJO, Luke sees a vision of the future where he sees the Jedi in the hundreds of thousands. Jedi in all walk of life, i.e. doctors, politicians, farmers, etc. Some completely committed to the Jedi way of life, like our current Jedi in NJO, and some freelance Jedi's. Luke's vision will be the tie-in or setup to this future SW.

But what I would like to see is for DelRey to create 3 or 4 Arcs running simultaneously, each setup like NJO for 5 years & 20+ books. This way we get books related to this SW Future every month or so. One Arc can focus on the Jedi Counsel in the OuterRim. The other Arc can be for the Jedi in the Core & DeepCore. The third Arc can be for Jedi traveling to other galaxies. In the 6th year, DelRey can begin to tie-in the Arcs into one using their best authors to do so.

All we need is a villian character or race (or a multitude of them) to support three concurrent Arcs.

Also, I like the idea mentioned earlier of having one Jedi faction following the Jedi Code developed by Luke (a more passive & behind the scenes Jedi Code), and the other created by Kyp (aggressive). The third faction can be the one based on the old old Jedi Code, as in Yoda's early years (that we conveniently found after Luke and Kyp are long gone).

Just my 2 cents worth.

-dS

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Not a bad idea, but I don't think they'd be able to keep the numbers up. Maybe some of the books could also focus on a jedi going about their adventures that don't involve galaxy-wide threats for once.

16. Angel_Jade

Angel_Jade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2000
    interesting, very very interesting

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    What changes in the GFFA culture do you think would have or should change in another millennia?

18. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    I don't want xenophobic people like Imperials in the future. We should have main characters that aren't just human.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    True.

Perhaps as the only link to the era that we know . . . the new characters visit a museum, and in a glass case, are the run down and deactivated R2-D2 and C-3PO . . .

20. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I like the idea
    Possibilities

21. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I agree that there shouldn't be some "galactic threat." Make it one padawan's adventure to become a Knight. Throw in some new technology, an new Jedi Council, and some different plantets and characters and it could give a fresh new look to Star Wars.

22. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    How about having the Sith outnumber the Jedi? Or maybe the Sith run rampant, and there are NO Jedi at all? And then one shows up!

"Impossible! The Jedi have been extinct for a millennium!"
    "I do not think the Jedi could have returned without us knowing."
    "Hard to see, the lightside is... Hard to see."

Ok, it obviously wouldn't happen that way, but if the status quo was Sith>Jedi, it would definately be unique.

23. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    I'd like to see Klingons vs Jedi Knights ;-)

24. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I have a story like this - all my own ideas, concieved before this even came up. Cool. I hope to make a fanfilm of it. :D

25. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that the whole "Sith > Jedi" thing has been done before. Remember in RotJ, after Yoda died, there was just Luke vs. Vader and Palpatine. Even if it was for just a day or so.

But it would be kinda neat. You could have Corran Horn's spirit trapped in a rock on Corellia, then a young Sith apprentice unlocks him and begins training under him, turning over to the lightside, getting an apprentice, then wiping out the entire Sith Order, creating a Jedi Empire!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.