main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Storm Season 2004

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Dal--Intrepid, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, we got brushed by Alex and doused by Bonnie, but it looks like the first real storm of the year could be headed right to our door step with Charley. Hopefully he won't pick up too much more steam when he heads back out to sea tonight. Still, with the rain we got from Bonnie, everything will be pretty saturated, much like Dennis and Floyd a few years ago. Also, with trees still at full foliage, they can have even more saturation than most people realize. On the plus side, Charley is really moving pretty quickly and Bonnie didn't lurk around for a week like Dennis did. Hopefully he'll track east of Greenville, which will make it a little more bearable, but if we're east of the eye, we'll probably get some heavier stuff.

Hope everyone is relatively prepared. Let's hope Charley's stay is brief to the area and he doesn't do too much damage.

2. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    My thoughts are with you guys in Greenville. I decided to go home to my parents house in Morehead City. If anything we'll get the brunt of it and hopefully it won't be too bad to where I can't return to Raleigh on Monday.

Stay safe everyone!

-UD

3. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Local weather guys are thinking it'll be out of the area by Saturday night, so hopefully you'll get back to Raleigh pretty easily Monday, as long as the roads are passable. My neighbor is leaving Sunday morning for a trip to Myrtle Beach and it appears there shouldn't be a problem for him as long as any damage is cleaned up.

Get buckled in tight back in Morehead City and be careful on the roads!

4. JediLuner

JediLuner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Hi All, just saying Hi,

My thoughts are with you guys in Greenville, Get buckled in tight back in Morehead City and be careful on the roads!

Well I just hope you all stay safe, and the storm passes quickly!!!

Keep us posterd what's going On out there!!!

5. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, I wouldn't say it was uneventful, but it was rather tolerable in these parts. I think there was some tornado activity in parts of the county, but we were spared. As always, Winterville/Greenville had to deal with flooding. But then again, it seems like parts of this town flood heavily when somebody spills a drink outside. It was basically an hour of intensity and that was it. As soon as it cleared out, the sun started shining and the wind lightened up. It is absolutely beautiful outside right now. Bright blue skies, a pleasant breeze, and tolerable temps. I'm probably gonna throw some burgers on the grill now! :D

Looks like two more systems are out in the Atlantic - one that'll probably steer off into the ocean and never bug us, and another headed towards the Gulf again. Hopefully we can avoid anything out of that at least for a while.

6. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Same here. Just a lot of wind, a few minutes of intensity and that was it. The lights didn't even flicker.

-UD

7. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Looking more and more like we may escape Frances here in the east. Even at its widest guess-timates, most of the forecast tracks have Frances taking a really strong westward track once it hits. It appears most of the remnants may go into Tennessee/Kentucky/western NC. We should count ourselves among the blessed because Frances is really shaping up to be bad news.

8. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    And then came Ivan . . .

I asked Phillip Williams what happens if they go through the whole alphabet and use all the hurricane names in one season. He said it's never happened, so he really didn't know. Now I'm curious, just not curious enough to look it up.

9. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Make way for Ivan. (And all I can think of is Ivan Koloff). This is getting a little absurd, and it's not even like we're getting hit with them like Florida. Those poor people need a break in a bad way. It's simply annoying to us with the excess rain and some wind, but they have to be getting kind of demoralized down there. It's not like I wanna see a storm bypass Florida and slam into Texas, but seriously, a week without a storm would be a refreshing change I imagine.

Sounds like we'll probably get a similar situation to Frances - some wind, a lot of rain, and just poopy weather for a day in the middle of next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.