main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Storm Troopers are Inferior to the Clone Troopers: Am I the only one here who sees that?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lord-Draco, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Since EP3 is done and I can watch the saga now from 1-6, I just came to this conclusion....the Storm Troopers of the OT are just plain out sissy, wimpy, nerdish, weak compared to the Clone Troopers of the PT. Let me go into detail how.

First off the Clones have more of a built, sturdy, and stocky look to them. When you look at them you know that they're ready for some fighting and you shouldn't **** with them. Now compare that to the Storm Troopers of the OT. They're all short little wimpy looking people who looks like there is a geeky nerd under the helment. I mean the way they walk, stand, and their overall posture/body language just doesn't live up to the Battle-Bound looking Clones of the PT.

Also another thing that gets me and cracks me up is the way they run....Its so....wimpy lol. They run like they have never experienced combat before. Especially that shot in EP4 on the Death Star when Luke, Han, and Leia is getting chased I believe by like 3-4 Storm Troopers and the camera does a close up shot of the Storm Troopers running. Everytime I see that I laugh.

I mean seriously, were we really supposed to be intiminated by these men? If they really are men....I mean really though, after seeing Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith I just can't take the Storm Troopers serious anymore.

Also the Clone Troopers talk with a menacing voice whereas the Stormies sounds like some....generic white guy. I know that in EP4 GL replaced their voices with the Clone voices, but what about in ROTJ? The Scout Troopers and other Storm Troopers went back to the lame sounding voice for some odd reason and GL forgot to change their voices.

I know that the excuse that many will be using is the fact that the Clones are CGI whereas the Storm Troopers are real people. Well that can be true, but GL could have went back to the OT and took out all the human Stormies and replaced them with CGI Stormies that matches the PT Clone Troopers build and whatnot.

I mean before the PT I though the Storm Troopers were badazz, especially when I played Shadows of the Empire on the N64. But now after the PT, things changed....

Please use our Clone and Stormtrooper thread

2. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Not to mention the fact that the Stormies can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn with their blasters![face_laugh]
    I guess they never kept up their target practice after Order 66...

3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Yet Obi-Wan seems to think they're are really accurate [face_laugh] The Clone Troopers seemed to take down the droids, etc. well while the Storm Troopers can't hit anything at all.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Stormies are good except when they are fighting the heros, which is the only time we see them fighting on film. They whipped the rebels pretty bad when they stormed the blockade runner, but other than that we don't see them fighting anyone but the main characters of the films.

5. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    That's true. Their aim when storming the blockade runner in AHN was very good but they can't hit Leia, Chewie, R2, or Lando at all in ESB. In fact they don't get close.

6. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    None of the Stormtroopers' voices were changed to the Clones'.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The second the clones started Order 66, they sorta became the incompetent stormtroopers we're so familiar with. Sure they killed off most of the Jedi, but afterwards, Obi-Wan was sneaking around right under their noses and they never suspected a thing. Yoda seemed to evade the clones pretty well too. And when they finally made it to Coruscant, they had this big clone-massacre in front of the temple that just had to remind you of the OT.

8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    In the PT, they are a hardened military force, well-trained by the professionals at Kamino, fighting against billions of battle droids on hundreds of thousands of fronts, with the fate of the Republic at stake. In the OT, they are basically policemen (with AT-ATs).

9. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    But its more then just their aim and stuff like that. Its their overall appearance and presence. In the PT the clones look sturdy and tough. Just everything about them shows that they're battle ready. In the OT the Stormies don't have that sturdy and touch look and presence to them. They look weak and really wimpy and they run like sissys to.

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Oh man. I remember before RotS came out there was a theory that Palpatine controlled the Clones with his mind ... and he continued to do so in the OT as well. Once the Battle of Endor started the reason the troops looked so weak and got whipped by the Ewoks was because Palpatine was preoccupied dealing with Vader and Luke and couldn't focus enough on the troops.

All-in-all in was just a theory though.

11. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    We also have to remember that I believe Lucas himself has said that they replace most of the army with human conscripts. I'm guessing that clones take a lot of money and time and since you're already in power why not recruit the poor common folk to fight and die for you. If you have a billion of them, it doesn't matter how good they are. Sheer numbers can ensure victory.

12. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Plus, Palpatine only needed the Clones because he needed a massive army quickly. Once he had domination over the Galaxy he could start recruitments and such.

13. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Well if what both of you say is true, and that the Stormies are basically just normal people and not clones. Then why is it in the OT DVD the Storm Troopers in ANH talk like Clones with the Jango Fett voice? So that basically means that what you two say is just meaningless and irrelevant.

So essentially the Storm Troopers or atleast the Storm Troopers in EP4 ARE Clones and not normal human recruits.

14. Anakenobi

Anakenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2004
    The reason Stormtroopers look nerdish and wimpy, it's because were all used to seeing NERDS at conventions, Star Wars premieres and such events wearing stormtrooper outfits.

But once upon a time, the Stormtrooper look was actually considered cool. And BECAUSE of that, the ST look was so coveted and respected (usually by nerds) that they used ST costumes to the point where nerd and Stormtrooper became synonymous.

But just wait, soon new generation nerds will think (just like you do) that Clone troopers look cool and guess what? The Clones will suffer the same fate as the Stormies. That is, until the next version of the troopers comes around if Lucas makes a series after Episode VI.

Well c'mon...Consider that real humans were running inside a suit with limited visibility. The Clone troopers were all cgi. They can run in loops all day! (until the lights go off) ;)

Neither did the Ewoks. Thus the Ewoks got all medieval on them.

Uh? Lucas did not replace the ST voices in Episode IV. The voices of Stormies that we hear in A New Hope are the same as always.

And remember, chronologically the troopers we see in A New Hope are regular humans that were recluted all over the galaxy. Some joined the academy, like for instance, members of Luke's Rogue Squadron were ex-imperials and stormtroopers. So you see, the bright ones went REBEL and the dumb ones stayed behind! ;)

Wow... why not make all the characters in gci? They'll look as fakey as the Clone troopers do in Episode III (don't tell me they didn't, especially during the part were Obi-Wan is seen among helmet-less Clones, before he leaves to fight General Grievous). I dunno...

Yeah, like I said before things will change on you again when you start seein nerds wearing Clone trooper outfits. :D

15. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004

Lord-Draco, Ogmios has already corrected you on this several posts before.

16. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    I think the original poster is missing the point of ANY movie making. Its not that the Stormtroopers were bad. They just didnt manage to whip ou rheroes - reason? well you dont make films about ordinary events (real of ficticious or even totaly unbelievable but great space fiction!!). The ordinary event is that all are killed and thats it. the STANDOUT event is when you look back to where the victors got and say - crikey, werent they lucky at this point and that point. Another recent example is the Cruise/Sp'berg War of the Worlds. No point in telling the story of one of the millions who get killed. You tell the story of the SURVIVORS - and their strange and very lucky escapes. Films are rarely about the way things would REALLY be. So...... OT stormtroopers and their dodgy CG parents in the PT are both efficient fighting forces.....and thats all we need to know !

17. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    You're completly wrong. It had nothing to do with conventions and stuff like that. Because before the PT like in 1997 when I saw the Re-Releases of the OT, I thought that the Stormies were cool and tough looking. That was when I was like 12. But now after the PT and especially after seeing ROTS....all of that has changed and now I have a different perspective on the Storm Troopers.

;)

I remember when I first saw Attack of the Clones and seeing the Clones shoot through the fog of dust at the Droids and I remember saying to myself "Man these dudes are seriously badazz". Then once I saw Revenge of the Sith and seeing the Order 66 thing being carried out....for the first time ever I actually felt fear when it came to Clones/Stormies. Then I go home and put in the EP4 DVD and I just laugh my azz off the whole time at the Storm Troopers.

18. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Storm Troopers won't turn on you with a simple "Execute Order [order number]" command, because their genetic material has not been modified in such a way. The Emperor has learned that there are major disadvantages to having clones created, especially when you cannot physically watch over every single step of the process to make sure they are being 'porogrammed' exactly how you want them to be.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought that the stormies in the original trilogy were clones from different sources and human conscripts as well.

20. p_jedi77

p_jedi77 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Going back to the original post, its kind of obvious that the storm troopers are in fact inferior to the clone troopers. Just look at the weapons those clones are carrying, they've got guns that would make Rambo proud. Ummm...the ST just have E-11 blaster rifles. The clones in fact do look bigger, sturdier, and quite simply more intimidating than the Stormies. The clones are blasting away battle droids, super battle droids, and destroyer droids on the battlefield. The stormies (AKA "an entire legion of my best troops") don't know how to defend themselves against the unstoppable might of the rock-throwing Ewoks. Wait, wait...I know...those Ewoks were way way better than any shield-protected destroyer droid. Yeah right. The original post is correct, clones take down stormies any day of the week. Just goes to show how Lucas should have calmed down with all the CG tech in the PT cuz it makes the OT seem that much more low tech. I mean, look at the weapons and tech in AOTC on Geonosis and then look at the AT-ATs in ESB. Where are those purply rocket things? or airships? or phaser like beams of concentrated energy? On Geonosis it should have been just a mass of clones vs droids and incorporated smaller, less sophisticated looking vehicles. But that is another rant...

21. Darth_Morhs

Darth_Morhs Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2005
    The Clone Troopers were bred just for killing droids, and obviously the Kaminoans did a good job. But since they had that little aging thing, they died out quickly, and I would think that after ROTS, Palpatine thought that they wouldn't need the Clones anymore because they had the galaxy and they lived happily ever after. So then they recruited real people as policemen sort of and when they were in civil war, they recruited a LOT more people. And people aren't bred for combat like clones are, plus the clones were bred specifically to wipe out the droids, plus lots of training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.