main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stormtrooper = clone or real human being

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedipete33, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    Ok I got in a fight over this in the classic trilogy forum. I want to know are all stormtroopers clones or are some of them raw recuits from planets around the galaxy?

I say some are clones and some are recuits. While others think they are all clones.

2. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    This is a never ending argument, some believe as you do while others believe differently.

That is all, move along.

3. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I tried to ask the OS...and they have not responded yet.

4. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    JSat, what is the OS? :confused:

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Original Site....starwars.com. :p

6. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    The O is for official. :p

And I think there's a recent quote that says they are a mix of clones and recruits. I'll have to dig it up.

7. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    Ahhh....I see.

8. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    id bet some are clones... but most are recruits. Remember, many of the worlds in the EU had Imperial training centers on them, and cloning cylinders were much to rare. Also, almost every stormtrooper has a different height, and if they were slones, they would all be the same height.

9. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Most of the origonal clones are dead of battle or age. Though some no doubt remain in positions such as drill instructors, and instructing special forces, and guarding Palpitine.

10. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Raw recruits!
    :D that all I have to say...

11. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I would agree with what everyone is saying...

Obviously, the Stormtroopers all started as clones....

But the Clone Wars were taxing and killed alot of them off...after all, those droids are tough

The Old Republic needed more troops, and they built their academies. One such example was the "Caridan Military Academy", located on the planet Carida, where they could train the troopers in the planet's harsh environment. The planet was staunchly loyal to the Empire after the Old Republic's fall, and the Academy was then absorbed into the "Imperial Academy System"

Alot of literature actually exists on Carida for those interested.... The Essential Guide to Planets has it, as should any complete Star Wars encyclopedia...

And then, of course, the rouge Kyp Durron blew it all up with the Sun Crusher... *shakes head sadly*. All those good Imperial men...

12. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Sorry if I'm digging this up...

For those who believe the EU is canon, the 'troopers are a mixture. If you're a purist then they're all clones. Neither is wrong, just different points of view.

13. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah, but Dev, there's nothing in the movies themselves that points to the Troopers all being clones by the ANH era, so the whole purist/completist issue doesn't really apply here.

14. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Quote from Insider:

If the stormtroopers are supposed to be clone troopers, why do most of them have different sizes and voices in A New Hope?

The realities of filmmaking in the 1970s and 1980s dictated the differences in stormtrooper voices and sizes in the original trilogy. Completely computer generated, exactly identical troopers were not possible until a few decades down the road.

However, there is also an in-universe explanation, provided by none other than George Lucas himself. During the production of Episode III, Lucas told crewmembers that the stormtroopers seen in Episode IV are--in the story world--made from multiple sources. That is, they're not all Jango clones. By that time in the saga, other clone hosts had been selected.

Lucas intimated that the selection process has become more political than strategic in some cases--a highly placed officer's cousin might be selected over a more capable specimen, for example. This politicalization results in less-than-ideal candidates, which could explain some of the embarrassing marksmanship witnessed in the Original Trilogy.

~

So they're not all Jango clones by this quote. In the EU, there are specific references to recruited stormtroopers, whereas the films make no statement either way - they just show us Jango clones in AOTC and say nothing in the OT. As most of the EU is regarded as canon by Lucasfilm, this therefore makes the stormtroopers a mixture of clones and recruits, which makes more sense (making/growing/training/raising enough clones to control a galaxy is rather mind-boggling...). However, purists who disregard the EU say that all the stormtroopers are clones because the movie seems to imply that. It's a very subjective topic: you believe what you want to believe, really. If you take the EU into account, they're a mix. If not, they're all clones. :)

In this forum, where the LFL policy on EU is taken, stormtroopers would be regarded as a mix. In the Classic trilogy forum, however, where EU is taken as one possible story arc to leave more room for post-trilogy speculation, stormtroopers would more probably be regarded as all clones. :)

I_F

15. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    Errata: I forgot the last part of the Insider quote: [face_blush]

In addition to multiple clone hosts, stormtrooper ranks also include conscripted soldiers and academy graduates, as has been chronicled in the Expanded Universe for many years now.

I_F

16. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    If a purist tries to argue that all Stormtroopers are clones, simply ask him why none of their voices were re-recorded by Jango Fett for the new DVD.

After all, Boba Fett's voice is now the same as Jango's. Why wouldn't his "brothers" be the same?

17. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Very True Joruus....

Obviously Lucas agrees with the Mixed Troops theorem...

18. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    My guess

Just after CW: Mostly clone remnants but the Empire is beginning a large conscript program.

10 BBY: Some clones but probably about 70% conscript.

OT period: Maybe the occasional clone survivor and some from Palpatine's tests to make better cloning tech. (you never know when you might need a million troops within a month) But the vast majority are recruits.

TTT: Normal humans dominate but more clones than the past due to the Spaarti cylinders.

HoT: Back to mostly human with a few clone survivors.

By the Post NJO any clones will be very rare in the Remnant. I imagine they have shorter lifespans due to growth acceleration.

19. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    Iron-fist this maybe true what GL said but what about the comics that have the empire recuiting troops.

20. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    i saw that quote in insider also.

21. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    Pete: Again, I'll say it's a very subjective issue. If you do take the comics to be canon, stormies are a mix. If you take only the films into consideration (which many people do, it's their right to), then you'll assume that all stormtroopers are clones. You believe what you want to believe, based on what you think counts. :)

I_F

22. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Pete...
    "Iron-fist this maybe true what GL said but what about the comics that have the empire recuiting troops."

The demographics of the Imperial stormtroopers also greatly depends on when we're talking about.

The earlier into the Emperor's New Order you wish to discuss, the greater numbers of clones you will tend to find.

Well into the life of the Empire - circa the OT-era from ANH to ROTJ and beyond - you will find numerous recruits ranging from differing clone batches, non-clone recruits, and even non-clone consctripts.

You really need to qualify any stormtrooper question with a specific date on the Star Wars timeline.

23. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I think that the most are recruits . But if I remember in the Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn Zann say that Emire started to produce Clones .

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    If a purist tries to argue that all Stormtroopers are clones, simply ask him why none of their voices were re-recorded by Jango Fett for the new DVD.

As was said above, because they're clones of different sources.

25. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    The O is for official.

JSat = Schooled :p

But anyways, from what i've read from diffrent sources, It's all a mix! ;)

Evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.