main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stormtroopers are not clones of Jango Fett

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Child_of_the_70s, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Child_of_the_70s

Child_of_the_70s Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2003
    Just wondering -

Jango dies in ANH -23.

Clones grow at twice the rate of normal humans.

The last possible set of Jango clones, i.e. clones grown from samples taken from Jango Fett right before his death would likely die before ANH +22 (AOTC +45) and would be past their battle prime after AOTC +20, i.e. before the events of AHN even take place. Meaning that the OT stormtroopers would need to have been grown from a different host than Jango.

Thoughts?

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    They probably could clone a clone, or they might have a stockpile of Jango's DNA for future use.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    (EU) Some are clones, some are recruits.

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    It's never stated that the clones continue to grow at twice the same speed as a normal Human. The Clones could stop growing once they reach a certain age.

5. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    They may/may not be clones of Fett, but they're clones. It was first stated in an issue of BANTHA TRACKS in either the late 70s or early 80s. I don't recall the particular edition, but they are clones for sure.

6. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Lucas states on the AOTC DVD commentary that Stormtroopers are, in fact, clones of Jango.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Only 1.2 million of them are. The rest are either recruits, or clones made from other DNA sources.

8. LucasCop

LucasCop Jedi Master star 2

Nov 20, 2002
    Yeah....sure....okay, man......

And I'm sure you're about to just whip out your proof at a moment's notice.

?[face_plain]

All you need are frozen stockpiles of blood samples from the host, and the clones'll last for decades.....

Unless and until Lucas tells me otherwise in Epy III, we are forced to believe that the Stormies are all Junior Fetts......sorry, guys......

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    AOTC says otherwise: Only 1.2 million clones were made. Nothing says they made more, now did they?

The Kaminoans cannot make clones from a dead man.

10. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    They already have his DNA in storage.

11. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    They still have more clones, whose genetic code is identical to that of Jango's, plus the special modifications made. Just use that to churn out more. Cloning is simple replication of genetic code, and nothing (except "Multiplicity") says that taking genetic samples from a clone isn't just as good as taking samples from the original.

12. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Actually, that's not quite true. Making a copy of a copy of ANYTHING always degrades the quality of said copy. ;) It gets worse the farther you go.

13. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, just like when you're copying a piece of paper. ;)

14. LucasCop

LucasCop Jedi Master star 2

Nov 20, 2002
    The Kaminoans cannot make clones from a dead man.

For one thing, it is theoretically possible to make clones from a dead organism. Have you ever seen Jurassic Park? ;)

Secondly, what ever happened to Boba Fett? He is an "unaltered" clone - meaning he is an exact replicant of his father. We know that he did not die. And I'd be willing to bet that his departure from Tipoca City in AOTC was not the last visit with his cloner friends. He would be the perfect substitute for completing the Kaminoan contract - assuming it was even necessary. (At least the supposed "degradation" of his replication would not be significant enough to preclude the usage of his DNA for additional clones.)

15. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Actually, that's not quite true. Making a copy of a copy of ANYTHING always degrades the quality of said copy.

You know, that's not quite true. I work in post-production, and if you make a digital clone of a digital source, it is identical to the original: no degradation. You can clone that clone, and clone that clone, and clone that clone, and do it a thousand times, and the one thousandth clone would look identical to the original.

Now, if you make a VHS dub, however, yeah, it's going to suffer generation loss.

Since this is SW, the same universe where you have fire in space where there's no oxygen, I see no reason they can't continue making clones from clones without generation loss.

16. neochia347

neochia347 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 22, 2003
    STORMTROOPERS are not clones of JANGO Fett, but recruits that joined/drafted and were trained on Cardia. But, if you read some of the books, you'd learn that Grand Admiral Thrawn had his own Clone Army of Stormtroopers, so that he could have crews for the Katana Fleet.

17. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300] Unless and until Lucas tells me otherwise in Epy III, we are forced to believe that the Stormies are all Junior Fetts......sorry, guys......

Well, to repeat what dehrian already said, Lucas DID say on the AOTC commentary that the stormtroopers are "clones" of Jango. If you don't believe me, watch the commentary in the part where Jango bangs his head on Slave-1's door when taking off from Kamino. [/color]

18. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Lucas: "You know, throughout, as we go through the movie, there's all little funny moments, like Jango bumping his head, because in Star Wars one of the Stormtroopers bumps his head on the door as they leave the control room on the Death Star. And I thought, wouldn't it be funny if that's a trait Jango has, when he puts his helmet on he can't really see that well and he's constantly bumping his head and that trait gets cloned into all the Stormtroopers."

19. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    STORMTROOPERS are not clones of JANGO Fett, but recruits that joined/drafted and were trained on Cardia. But, if you read some of the books, you'd learn that Grand Admiral Thrawn had his own Clone Army of Stormtroopers, so that he could have crews for the Katana Fleet.

Lucas has said they are still clones. Is he right or is he wrong? If he's wrong about his own creation, then who's to say he's not wrong about the prequels entirely? If he says that stormtroopers are clonetroopers, and he's wrong about that, then why don't we just say that the prequels are wrong, and don't really portray how Anakin became Vader?

20. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    So you're all assuming that it can't be both?

21. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I agree with Ousley that it could be both. If you look at the naval officers that appear in the OT it is obvious that they are not clones.

Since most military systems make officers "work their way through the ranks", then it would make sense that atleast some of the stormtroopers are not clones.

Lucas has said they are still clones. Is he right or is he wrong?

Obi-Ewan: Correct me if I am wrong but GL did not say that %100 of the stormtroopers where clones, so it is still possible that it is an intrigated military.

22. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    So Lucas has to explicitly say "100%?" It doesn't work that way. What he has said so far is that the stormtroopers are clones. He doesn't have to say 100% for it to be 100%. Rather, if there is any other source, it must be revealed on screen. All the signs right now point to the stormtroopers being clones. That is the way he has designed it, so that's how the story unfolds.

23. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    But yet there is nothing on screen that says every single one in the OT is a clone, either.

So your "on screen proof" goes away.

24. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    Lucas has said they are clones. Watch the DVD. If there were any exceptions, he would say so. The films don't have to say that every stormtroopers is a clone. That is the default until the films say otherwise. Lucas equated stormtroopers with clonetroopers, and the clonetroopers are all clones.

25. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    If there were any exceptions, he would say so.

I have Young Jedi Cards.

I don't have some of them, but just because I don't doesn't mean I have to mention that I don't have a few of them. Saying I have some is enough.

Also, Lucas' quote isn't in the movie itself, so your "on screen films proof" still doesn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.