main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    The Stormtroopers and Clonetroopers are some of the most Iconic features of the Star Wars Universe.... but it is an open question what their fate will be. Are they loyal to the Emperor's New Order, or are they loyal to the "Republic"? Once Government changed hands, were they ready to follow new leaders? Or would they stick to whatever remnants of the Imperial Military was left?

Are they still being cloned from Jango? (EU points to no, but it is a brave new universe) An original clone would be biologically 120-140 at the start of E:VII, but you could be biologically 70-80 and have served at the Battle of Endor. are there old folk and retirement homes for clone veterans? What about children of clones? Are there millions of children, with millions of different fathers.... but genetically all (half)brothers and sisters?

There has been a lot of work exploring these characters in the EU the last decade, rehabillitating their images from jokes that couldn't shoot straight to honorable supersoldiers, and I would be suprised if they were left unaddressed.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope to see regular stormtroopers at least once in the ST. Old design and new design.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, the other thread has been locked.

And I'd love to see how the stormtroopers get used in the time period of the ST. With the clone troopers becoming stormtroopers, and the stormtroopers being so prevalent in the OT, it seems very unlikely that they won't be addressed at all in the ST.

4. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Id like to see some clones, And some more insight with them and order 66, and a "You rebel scum!" from some imp.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No I want some new cannon fodder.

Darkslayer, thejeditraitor and D'an like this.
  6. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    General Skywalker and his Legion of Clones....

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

They announced for Rebels just a month or two ago that Stormtroopers are mostly loyal citizens of the Empire who signed up, a few clones remained in their ranks but many retired too. So all clonetroopers are clones but most stromtroopers aren't clones.

Edit: Info is here, took me a moment to refind the link:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10...fo-on-the-role-of-jedi-and-more-on-the-empire

Of course whether the basic armor design is still around for Ep. VII is another question. On one hand it served a practical military purpose and fought for the Old Republic, on the other it got twisted by the Empire to kill countless innocent beings. Plus we don't know how much if any of the Empire survived if we disregard the EU. So why would the for lack of a better name New Republic use it if the Empire still does, but on the other hand if the Empire is long gone why wouldn't the New Republic use the armors basic design. The US uses helmet shapes similar to Nazi helmets since we found out they protected their troops better than the American WWII helmets... so anything that keeps troops alive and increases their combat effectivness has historical examples of nations caring more about survivability of its troops than shunning a practial design of armor... this ofcourse doesn't mean the armor will still be white though.

8. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Not a legion, just a few old clones with some stories

Cleo Jinn likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Correct, and that's been the usual position before Rebels too. But what I was referring to was the fact that the clone troopers of the Republic became the stormtroopers of the Empire from a functional perspective... I wasn't talking about their specific genetic makeup. It's clear from looking at them that it was an evolution, and that Palpatine probably envisioned his troops of the future Empire being evolved from the clone troopers who he helped get created "for the Republic". After the Republic became the Empire, he thanked the clone troopers for their service in defeating the separatists and announced their name change into stormtroopers.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Wasn't just replying to you about that, my tablet was lagging so I posted what I had typed and rebooted... added way more in an edit. Went into historical enemy armor designs being used by nations that defeated them just due to it offering their troops a benefit.

Though you have a point, likely a great way to expell most of the likely troops who weren't as willing to follow stricter orders or now regretting Order 66.

eht13 likes this.
  11. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003

12. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Even though Star Wars is one of the nerdiest things ever, you will never find straight answers to logical and practical dilemmas such as these. If you ask Lucas himself, chances are you are going to get a lie or be confused.

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Seen it countless times before and laugh every time... but its fan fiction and therefore is just kinda a moot point. After all helmets in use today don't usually stop rifle rounds or protection from blasts. Though versus small arms and other more minor hits it can save lives. So arguing the armor doesn't stop rifle blasts in the movies or han's heavy blaster pistol isn't proof that it can't protect from other hits and therefore be required wear.

14. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    My question is: what will the troopers of the Republic look like? Will they still look like rebels, or will begin to adopt armor similar to stormtroopers. Is there a friendlier version of stormtrooper armor?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Man those stormtroopers would have to be eligible for their Social Security checks by now I would think.

I doubt there will be a massive republic army, sort of like before AOTC. If they mention the destruction of the stormtroopers, it will probably be in the opening crawl.

Colossus of Rhodes likes this.
  16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Back-peddling aside, if the Clonetroopers really became the Stormtroopers, then I'd rather see Stormtroopers in the ST. This is a tough question for me, as I don't see the Stormtroopers as clones. They were everyday guys recruited to be in the military. Or so I thought.

17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I bet Palpatine stole from the social security money and spent it on the second Death Star. How else could he afford a second one so quickly? 8-}

Those poor clones having to deal with rapid aging brought on by dna degradation and no social security or VA office left to go to...

18. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could take or leave the orange/yellow color scheme, but what I'm hoping to see is Republic Troopers similar in design to the ones from KOTOR. They look more manufactured and high-tech than the ragtag rebel outfits from the OT, but the tadpole-ish design is still present, and it's still a far cry from the generic "robocop/iron man/power ranger" battle suits were seeing in movies today.

Apophis_, Dra--- and El_Machete12 like this.
  19. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    A while back someone talked about a pirate ATAT or something like that which I thought was great. I can see a worn down galaxy recovering from the Empire still and using their leftovers. Stormtrooper armor could be used to this effect.

But shiny imperial stormtroopers? I can't see them making their way in the ST but who knows.

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Whatever they are, I hope they make a different design than the classic stormtrooper look. Just like the clone troopers looked different.

21. Master_Sword

Master_Sword Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2003
    I like how the armor design has been consistent. There's room for the white armored fellows to come back; after all, we've just spent a lot of time having them as allies in the cartoon, so why not bring back the white armor for the good guys?

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Same color armor, more friendly and smiley masks? :)

LunarMoth likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think the Republic should be using stormtroopers. I just think for most people across the galaxy the stormies would be the face of the Galactic Empire's tyranny and the Republic should stay as far away from those associations as possible.

Bob Octa likes this.
  24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I can see the internet memes now from casual Star Wars fans who never played KotOR...

JJ Abrams just imported Star Trek Red Shirts into Star Wars (assuming they're not total badasses and instead die or miss their target a lot)

25. Master_Sword

Master_Sword Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2003
    Well, we see in at least the Old Republic trailer for freeing Alderaan (I don't know about in-game, never played through it) that Old Republic troops used white armor thousands of years in the past as well; I don't think "white armor" automatically has to mean stormies; after all, as has been stated, people volunteered to become stormies and wear the white armor, so I don't think it'll have a swastika-like stigma attached to it. If anything, stormtroopers are the least evil part of the Empire. We only see them commit two questionable acts; burning the Lars homestead is one (and we don't actually see it happen, so for all we know Owen and Beru pulled blasters on them). I would say the sandcrawler destruction is also questionable but again, difficult to discern since nobody was there when it happened. Everything else is in the context of legitimate military actions: capturing a rebel frigate, attempting to stop Luke and Han from fleeing with military intelligence, attempting to stop a prison break in a military space station, occupying a critical tibanna gas facility, capturing a rebel base, garrisoning a shield generator... no way these guys are the face of tyranny.

Remember: white armor does not equal evil. I'd welcome back the stylized armor from Revenge of the Sith, where they were encouraged to decorate their armor or wear their rank on it.