main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, they have to build an entirely new government from scratch. It will take some time to do so. We're talking a galaxy that has endured decades of almost nonstop war. Suffered through one corrupt and ineffective government and one tyrannical dictator. Sure many of these systems wanted freedom but it'll probably take more than blowing up a Death Star to prove that the Alliance will be any better at governing than the last two. And yes they'll most likely have to fight off all these Imperial remnants on top of all that. Thirty years is really nothing IMO.

TK327 likes this.
  2. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014
    It would be interesting to see an Empire not led by the influence of a Sith Lord - whereas the Sith Empire (which is now no longer canon, I suppose) and the Galactic Empire were instruments of the Sith in some capacity, the Empire that we get in Episode VII may not necessarily fit that mold. The influx of grand admiral-like characters vying for control of the Empire after RotJ might very well leave it in the hands of a non-force user by time of Ep VII. Seeing an Empire/Imperial Remnant not under the direct control of a Sith may give it a fresh enough direction to make it a compelling enemy.

That's not to say there won't be any dark side users operating in what is left of this 'new' Empire. Episode VII will still need some kind of antithesis to the Jedi and/or Luke himself.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ryus, Satipo, CairnsTony and 2 others like this.
  4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Ep7 is not going to be a rehash of Heir to the Empire and there will be no Thrawn. I'm not sure if that is what you were getting at. Not that fresh as it's just a rehash of the TZ series.

5. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I want armored troopers, no matter who they work for. Everything else doesn't matter much to me ^^.

6. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    If there's one set I'd like to see in person more than any other it would be the internal Falcon set. It would be fantastic if they could build a full mock-up of the ship as an attraction, i.e. including the full exterior as well so that it looks like the real deal inside and out.:)

7. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Stormtroopers? A full Falcon? I might cry too! [face_dancing]

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Very encouraging tidbits from Smith. Ok, he's biased, but that doesn't mean he's not genuine. To get that kind of reaction is pretty powerful. Let's hope it carries through the film and the new characters and story deliver too.

thejeditraitor, Ryus, TK327 and 3 others like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, I trust that reaction more. It's harder to fake that than it is to fake verbal gushing.

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    True. Also, this is a dude that likes all the films. He's got no axe to grind either way.

11. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014
    Ep7 is not going to be a rehash of Heir to the Empire and there will be no Thrawn. I'm not sure if that is what you were getting at. Not that fresh as it's just a rehash of the TZ series.[/quote]

I gotcha - but while most of us have been exposed to Thrawn, the warlords, Pellaeon, and the like, a mainstream audience has not on the big stream. I just think that a non-force sensitive leader might be the best logical progression for the villains of the saga: an Empire where dark side users are tools, rather than rulers.

I haven't given much credence to the 'Jedi Hunter' rumor thus far, but if it has some truth to it, it could be a vehicle to get some new, specialized stormtroopers. Imagine Imperials with a sleek armor design, much like TFUII 's Terror Troopers, as an arm of this new Empire out to counter the Jedi threat. Makes me excited to speculate :D

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't 'loathe' Abrams at all. I think he's a very average director and I dislike what he represents. Kevin Smith impying that "JJ has nailed it" (it being the 'film') actually means little given he's not seen the film. However, I don't think Kevin Smith is making his excitement up...

Obi-Wan Kennerobi likes this.
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It means more than either of us saying he's nailing it or failing seeing as we haven't even seen the set or costumes or seen them film a scene... plus its all subjective opinion anyways...

14. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Interesting how so many Star Wars fans just happen to be against any use of the Force, Jedi, Sith, or dark side users. What's next? No space or stars?

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes it is subjective... Carrie Fisher said the script for TPM was great. Point is... who wouldn't be stoked at seeing stormtroopers, Luke Skywalker (or whatever), on an actual set/sets of a new SW film? I don't think we can take anything more from it than that.

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    In that case I think you're being overly literal and rather unfair. IMHO it's obvious that he means Abrams has "nailed" the SW aesthetic and (in part) the mise-en-scene--as a filmmaker Smith would obviously be aware he can't comment on the finished film itself.

Darth Chiznuk and TK327 like this.
  17. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    I'm not against the Force or Force users. I just don't mind their presence or absence as long as I can have my fetish fuel :).

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    'Unfair' to whom? I was pointing out that Kevin Smith hasn't yet seen the film, and that it would be unwise to take his comments at face value... given his predilection for SW. That 'on set' it looks like Star Wars, should be no surprise to anyone should it?

19. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    And what could that be?... Wait, do we want to know? [face_nail_biting]

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i wouldn't cry but i'd be very happy.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We have to know actually since we're all nerds.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    That sounds.....disturbing![face_worried]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Wonder if those troopers are still looking for the droids? :D

24. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    Ehm ... armored troopers, actually, so it's nothing serious :p. My dad even bought me an anthology named 'Body Armor 2000' back in '86 because he knew me pretty well.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm scared now...

thejeditraitor likes this.