main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    ...and you should be [face_devil].

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Psh the Internets knows no fear!

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    oh my...

4. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    Well, I never loved TPM as much as the other SW movies because it lacked, well, decent troops, and I really hope the ST will deliver in this regard at least.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Were the battle droids too skinny for you?

6. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    That. And they were, you know, droids :p.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That was kind of the whole point though. Droids like the OT Stormtroopers are kind of not so good.

That said the Stormtroopers would be hard pressed to defeat the droids and against the Clonetroopers they'd be slaughtered.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about then combining all three into one nightmarish package of destruction?

9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The problem with the battle droids is they were boring and made the fight scenes very static and devoid of tension. Sure, Lucas was using them that way for a narrative reason, but that doesn't make them dramatically interesting. They end up being an intentional symbol of corporate power and generic production, but from an action POV, that's dull.

Lucas could have had his symbol and made the droids more deadly too. The audience needs to stay awake during the action scenes to appreciate the philosophy. The more advanced droids we saw in AOTC and ROTS and the droidekas were interesting, but the battle droids should have at least been bigger, even with a similar design approach.

10. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I can't wait to see new armour variants!

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Unlike the OT which simply didn't really bother with the Stormtroopers being a serious threat.

12. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I really like the idea of Stromtroopers with individual personalities and appearance.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Bullcrap. Stormtroopers killed a number of rebels, took out Princes Leia twice, blasted R2 and Threepio into oblivion, some ewoks and Lukes foster parents. Who did the battle droids ever kill?

14. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Oh, snap!

Dak Oolron, RavagerFish and Dra--- like this.
  15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    To be fair, I don't think the battle droids were meant to be threatening. Lucas was trying to show how mass produced war can be by monied interests. That worked, but the effect could never be one of tension, but satire. Stormtroopers may not be great fighters either, but they're certainly more dangerous than intentionally absurdist droids.

Everyone should recall that Lucas meant the stormtroopers to be an evolution of a droid army. It doesn't make much sense to argue battle droids were equally deadly.

A droideka army would have been better for creating tension.

16. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Is this a serious question?

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I'll second that.

I can only guess it's some kind of trap so I'm not going to answer a very obvious question like that.

Besides I was talking about how poorly the Stormtroopers move. Men in suits that are hot and tired and can't see very well are no match for motion controlled CG Clonetroopers who don't have all those disadvantages. The movements on the CT's is incredible especially in III.

No think on this. That was done 10 years ago. How incredible would they look now? Look at the Planet of the Apes films. The only reason to use Wookiees as men in suits now is more about nostalgia than what is the very best for the movies.

QuangoFett likes this.
  18. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    So is John Boyega a single defecting stormtrooper...?

Or might he be not only the AWOL one, as well as the squads hunting him down?

Why would the empire stop cloning troopers, why cease having soldiers trained and indoctrinated to follow the Emperor's will since birth to draft core world humans (rich kids as far as the galaxy is concerned) into blaster fodder infantry. I can understand certain gifted individuals being allowed into there ranks, and I understand if they have diversified the source DNA away from only being Jango, but it just seems more cost effective (one size fits all armour and spare organs for transplants, plus secret orders implanted in their brains) for the Empire to keep the clones, rather than risk the X Factor of individuals who weren't bred for the task at hand...

Dak Oolron likes this.
  19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

The commando droids in TCW were a good opponent.

There's still some doubt as to whether JB is the only defector or if there are others jumping ship. My guess would be he is the only one, and I think he turns coat officially towards the end of act one, but I could be completely mistaken.

20. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Likely the cloning facilities were destroyed at some point. It was obvious in the OT that not all Storm troopers were identical as there were varying heights and voices etc.

Dak Oolron and Satipo like this.
  21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Rebels is also going to show troopers as conscripts.

Dak Oolron and EviL_eLF like this.
  22. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Apparently all those dead Jedi on Geonosis weren't really dead... they were just sleeping? [face_laugh]

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I think that the droids and clones in the movies lacked any personality, you could not emotionally invest in any of them. TCW made up for that in regards of the Clones at least, by giving them personalities, but during the PT movies I could not care less if any trooper or pilot died. I felt for the OT rebels on the other hand, be it any of the pilots that died on the Death Stars or Hoth, or even that one rebel one the Tantive IV (you know which one I mean). Damn I even felt bad for Captain Needa...

Dak Oolron, Satipo and EviL_eLF like this.
  24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That I completely agree with and have stated as much on several occasions. Now, that doesn't mean Storm Troopers had much more personality either, it's just that the OT made up for it by giving Imperial officers screen time, creating personality etc.

Admiral Piett was actually a likeable character for the most part, so when he was intimidated by Vader the audience was in turn intimidated.

Not that you actually rooted for Piett to succeed or anything against the Alliance, but you wished him well in those benign scenes amongst the Imperials.

Characters like him and General Veers etc, actually gave credence to the Imperials having competent leadership within the military ranks, and thus made them more of a threat.

Dak Oolron, TtheForceHurts and Satipo like this.
  25. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Exactly. Not all of them were evil per se, though the Empire rewarded cruel individuals like Tarkin, Motti or that prison block commander on DSI. On the other hand there were Piett, Needa, Jerjerrod and especially Wulf Yularen who was such a nice fellow in TCW and simply made the transition to the new government. Madine was an Imperial officer as well.

Not to forget the Stormtroopers guarding the tractor beam.

EviL_eLF likes this.