main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Aww look at that lonely stormtrooper. I shall call him.....Bill. Bill the Stormtrooper. My first choice was Gary but apparently that's already taken :p

4. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I've asked about the coloring on the TIE looking part to see what they say.

5. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely a cool read! I'm very interested in seeing what that jungle world will end up being! :D

starocean90 likes this.
  6. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    In one shot it looks like they're constructing something very similar to a Greenham Common bunker. Also, the vines in the foreground look similar to the 'roots' on the walls of the GC bunker entrances. Same planet?

7. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I know in-universe that stormtroopers are supposed to be deadly foes, and I agree that they shouldn't be portrayed in silly ways, but, as far as their role in the films are concerned, should they be portrayed like typical henchmen who are incapable of killing our heroes, or should that limitation be off the table for suspense purposes?

Could you see them randomly kill Chewie, Luke, Boyega or Domhnall in an intense blaster shootout?

8. forzaskywalker

forzaskywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    nvr.

9. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I don't think a main character should die at the hands of a random, faceless stormtrooper, but they could demonstrate their effectiveness by killing other extras.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I made the photo of the Storm Trooper walking by the Ruble and what Looks like a cliff face and tower with blue screen, my Desktop Wallpaper !!!

11. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

They didn't have much opportunity to kill extras on screen during the OT, but that should definitely change with VII.

12. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

No kidding. It doesn't take much to make Stormtroopers at least somewhat more intimidating by having them kill off some of the extras on-screen. We all know they'll never be able to land a hit on the main heroes, but we get to see them do in some random friends/allies of the protagonists, this new generation of Stormtroopers will quickly become far more intimidating foes.

13. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    I always felt the Snowtroopers were the most intimidating of the lot. Aesthetically anyway.

14. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Since they seem rarer, I'm expecting much more investment and training put into the average trooper than before.

Stormtrooper level of survival; Space Marine level of ruthlessness.

15. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I followed up with more info from the source about Han Solo and Stormtroopers and concept art for a similar sequence in the film on my site.

16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    So people want an illusion of effectiveness, not actual effectiveness.

If they were truly effective, the heroes would be dead.

17. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Sort of, but not quite. It isn't the illusion of effectiveness that I want; it's to actually make them effective and better hide the use of plot armor on the main protagonists. The Stormtroopers in the OT generally seemed to miss everyone they tried to shoot at, regardless if it were one of the main protagonists or a random extra Rebel/Good Guy, at least on-screen. It made them really come across as being a huge joke.

While we all know that the main heroes are never going to get done in by a Stormtrooper, we can actually feel more tension and fear for their safety if the Stormtroopers are killing other people around them. Death, even if it's just a meaningless, nameless extra, has that effect in an action sequence. It gives weight to both the credibility of the Stormtroopers and to the danger that the heroes are in.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Han and Chewie running around chasing and being chased by stormtroopers in the forest? Sounds a bit familiar.

Han dressing as a stormtrooper? Sounds a bit familiar too.

I know nobody wants to hear ranting about rehashing, but.........[face_whistling]

19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Han disguised as a trooper again could very well be the worst kind of fan service. We've been there. Unless it's done with twist or there's a great story reason I wouldn't be keen to revisit. Han and Chewie in a jungle or something I have no problem with if it looks different enough and the story beats are different enough. I do like the sound of this structure though. I wonder what's going down there.

20. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

My thoughts exactly. It sounds like this jungle world will look and feel pretty different from Endor or Kashyyyk, so I think Han and Chewie getting chased by Stormtroopers there will probably feel different enough. However Han disguising himself as a trooper does feel more like obvious fan service. We'll see how that's handled...

Satipo and HanSolo29 like this.
  21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I have my doubts about that part of the report (not MSW - what the sources saw or thought they saw). I buy the jungle/ forest stuff.

I think it would be great if the Troopers could be a genuine threat. They were for chunks of ANH and most of ESB. I don't want/ need to them to spec ops trained level terminators, but there must be a balance between cannon fodder and genuine threat ( I think ESB got that right).

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I know I should probably wait and see how it pans out, but I'm going to have to agree with the above sentiment. I'm not really thrilled with the whole idea of Han possibly being disguised as a stormtrooper again. Unless, like was mentioned, it's done in a different way, but even then...I don't know.

23. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I have a feeling that if Han does end up disguising himself in a Stormtrooper outfit again, they'll probably play it up as a joke of some sort. Still, I agree that the sources might be wrong there. We'll see, I guess.

HanSolo29 and Satipo like this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Aren't we all saying no one is keen on Han in Stormtrooper uniform again?

I agree - C-P - if it is a thing, there will be a gag about it. I can't quite see a straight repeat getting past JJ, KK and Harrison. But you never know, I suppose.

25. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It's more of a character trait.
    [​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.