main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I know the whole main character can't get hit situation. I have posted that many times on many posts. But that applies to rebels as well. But now we have new storm troopers and of course they look all nice and new, but they will be fodder for the new heroes. I don't see storm troopers having much of a favorable legacy to them. It is a shame. I just wish they show more of their "off screen" greatness that obviously is the only place they can be great!

2. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    People complaining about CG clonetroopers should know well and good that had this technology been available for the OT, we'd have CG stormtroopers galore, not only that- droids, aliens, etc.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Thank the gods the technology wasn't available.

4. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Yeah because the cardboard rebels at the award ceremony in ANH were so much better.

5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I was always mixed on CG Clonetroopers. I didn't mind them in AOTC and I'd say for the most part they looked great. So much of Geonosis was purely fake that it all worked together quite well, the landing parade at the end was a bit iffy though I admit.

The problems really came into effect more in ROTS whenever they had their helmets off it looked pretty bad and those camo ones on Kashyyk looked a bit dodgy too. The Blue 501st ones are very well done though.

6. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't think anyone would be complaining back then.

7. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Well if thats the case Star wars would have sucked [censored]

The CG stuff is just bad. It turned a great movie into more of a cartoon.

Im glad they are going back to the more practical route

HammerEdit: Language.

LUH-3417 likes this.
  8. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Never noticed they were cardboard in 30 years. Noticed the CGI clones immediately.

TooMuchBBQ, LUH-3417, Dewback and 2 others like this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    May be I need better Glasses but the first time I saw Attack Of The Clones on the big screen I thought all the close up Clone Troopers were real guys in suits, and most people on here back in 2002 thought the same. It wasn't until George Lucas told us the truth well after the fact that I and many others on here new the truth. I was a lurker on here back then.

Revanfan1, MakingStarWars and TheBBP like this.
  10. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I only really realized that the clonetroopers were CGI during the Kashyyk battle scene. So bad.

cubman987 likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That is the single scene where they are obviously cgi to me. I knew they were all cgi because I followed the production of the film but that scene is where it wasn't merely a case of my applying my insight to the execution. It was simply a horrid execution.

Bennihana and Satipo like this.
  12. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    One of the biggest problems, IMO, with the clones were the helmet proportions. Look at any still of a stormtrooper... The helmets are huge! Not Dark Helmet ridiculous by any means, but the buckets are large. Then look at a clone trooper, especially a Phase I... Tiny buckets on broad shoulders. If you remove the buckets, you'd be left by vacuum-sealed shrunken heads. Pretty sure they had to cheat head sizes a lot in ROTS. Another contributing factor is Morrison himself... For clone supersoldiers, and the bounty hunter they hailed from, in a military that would eventually morph into a stormtrooper corps with a height requirement, they cast a guy who is "a little short for a stormtrooper". Yet the clones spawned from him are taller, broader of shoulder, etc.

It's a problem Hasbro has repeatedly encountered with most helmeted characters... So many Vaders, Fetts, and clones and Imps with fully-concealing helmets have tiny, tiny helms. When they finally made a Boba Fett figure with a removable helmet several years ago, his head was comically small... But any photo of Boba from ESB shows a rather large bucket above his shoulders. ILM ran into similar problems, I think... It "felt" right to someone in a position to approve it, and they didn't consider the implications for how the characters would look if they removed the helmets.

13. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I glad the stormtroopers are back hope to see more blaster shots hit them on a first time basis.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Uh-oh. Cue discussion of how the snowtroopers are overrated nobodies who just stand around in their armor looking menacing but don't really do anything!

15. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    CG troopers are ok for long shots where the film makers are trying to show us there are thousands of troops but up close I think they just look wrong, they don't move naturally and you instantly know they are CG. My whole problem with the PT is that it all looked very much like a cartoon and had no soul.

LUH-3417 and Satipo like this.
  16. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    The #1 that tipped me off immediately was they were all the exact height and build. In the OT it was obviously men in suits because they were all different sizes and heights. Another was the armor fit too well. There were no loose pieces, no sliding and rattling. My mind picked up instantly that they looked "too perfect". Also, my subconscious noticed the "head too small" thing.

Toonimator likes this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

He'd run into Max Von Sydow and say, "So that's where you went, Blofeld."

Besides, having James Bond as a Stormtrooper would guarantee that one of them could hit their target. :p

TheBBP likes this.
  18. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Indeed he has a good shot.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I was always mixed on the CGI clones in the PT. For instance in AOTC, I thought that they were fine during the big battle scene. That was mostly because it was a big, chaotic mess with CGI stuff smashing into each other, exploding, etc so the Clones didn't really stand out in that regard. But when we get to the "Imperial March scene" with Sheev at the end, it's a different story. When they're all just standing there in formation, you can get a good look at them. And, at least to me, they looks REALLY fake/obviously CGI. My problem with the CGI in the PT wasn't that I have anything against CGI itself, but more that:

-There was WAY too much of it, and in spots where it wasn't needed a lot of the time.
    -A lot of the CGI just wasn't very good/convincing. It looked really awkward.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    A Chorus of Disapproval, I followed the production of episode 2 as well and there was never anything saying all the clone Troopers were going to be CGI and even after seeing the movie i remember a lot of people on here thinking that at least some of the clone troopers, the ones close to the camera were guys in suits, it was not until after the films release that George Lucas admitted in an interview that all the Clone troopers were CGI .....

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    If my memory serves me correctly we knew ahead of time that the clones were all CGI. It was a badge of honor at the time.

Satipo and TK327 like this.
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I beg to differ but so this does not spiral into a fight lets just end it here.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well they are clones after all, who all grew up in the same environment, eating the same food, etc. So you've got a convenient in-universe explanation =P

24. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    the CGI troopers tipped me off when the one fell out of the plane with Padme and didn't bounce, roll, or run the same way she did. That's when I started to suspect. Then, the second time I watched the movie, I could tell. I went 100% spoiler free, so I didn't read up on it ahead of time or anything.

Obviously, large crowds or squads of troops are CG...as any movie nowadays uses. It was the closeups you kinda had to nitpick to figure out.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is the accurate account. Rick MacCallum had basically gushed about the process in SW Insider.

Satipo likes this.