main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    Yeah, In those days film makers would brag about how much CGI was in their films...how they pushed the technology even further etc. The backlash came soon after when we had been subjected to way too much animation and not enough story telling.

2. TheChosenOne095

TheChosenOne095 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2015
    Well remember that a lot of stormtroopers were just normal people, not everyone was a clone loyal only to Palpatine, i think that the remeaning stormtroopers surrendered and joined the new republic, and the ones that were still loyal to the empire were killed or imprisoned, also i don't think that there're still Jango clones alive.

[​IMG]

Cyreides and jabberwalkie like this.
  3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    So you're saying that there are no Stormtroopers in the ST? Ah, OK...

4. TheChosenOne095

Jan 6, 2015

Yes there are, just that maybe they're part of the new republic now.

5. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    This would be a good robot chicken clip.

6. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I thought the same thing until I saw the trailer with tie fighters firing on the falcon.
    I don't think the stormtroopers joined the Republic and the tie fighter pilots didn't:p

7. TheChosenOne095

Jan 6, 2015

Well we really don't know the context of that scene, for what we know whoever was piloting the falcon could have broken the law or a wanted crimininal, of course this is just me speculating things.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think the CG troopers are just great and look so on my new 60 inch LED HDTV.

Absolutely amazing.

The Clonetroopers are clones and therefore the very best way to make clones is with CGI where they actually can be clones. The Stormtroopers of TFA are not clones but different recruits in Stormtrooper gear.

Then of course on the practical side the Stormtroopers of the OT with guys in suits really don't look very good and certainly couldn't do what the Clonetroopers do in the PT.

The most practical solution was to go all-CGI.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    They look much better in ROTS than in AOTC.

10. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I'm sure we'll get a mix of real and CG clones for the foreseeable future... I just hope they are shooting off flaming squibs on their chestplates.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Everthing can be.

12. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Gary was good at playing his role in it.

13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    http://comicbook.com/2015/01/18/star-wars-the-force-awakens-to-introduce-female-stormtrooper/

Thoughts? It seems that "diversity" is a real buzzword associated with J.J.'s Star Wars. It's something that I have no problem with, but if it's forced, it'll come off as fake and cheesy. There was meaningful symbolism for why we didn't see females within the Empire's ranks (but we saw much diversity within the Rebels). I hope that there's thought behind changing what's already been established, as opposed to just wanting to market itself to different groups.

Meanwhile, the black Stormtrooper "debate" shouldn't even exist. We didn't see any faces in the originals - it could be anyone.

Darth PJ likes this.
  14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Well, to be honest, if the black Stormtrooper debate shouldn't exist, should the female Stormtrooper debate exist either? I'm not saying they're the same or not the same, I'm not saying they are or aren't linked, I'm just saying I don't see either as a big deal and neither bothers me one bit.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Female Stormtroopers were long a tradition of the EU and have already been introduced in the new canon.

No reason they shouldn't be seen in TFA. Personally, I don't see why a woman taking off her Stormtrooper helmet in the film would even merit any comment (of course there are female soldiers), but that's just me.

16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Either wouldn't bother me one iota. You can't exactly quantify a 'typical' human being amongst all the diversity we have as a race of sentient beings. It's irrelevant in my eyes.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    My argument was that there theoretically could have always been black Stormtroopers all along, whereas a female Stormtrooper would be a first. If it's explained that the Empire got a little less evil(?) and diversified its ranks, then I guess we could fit it in.

18. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Hasn't there been rumors for quite some time about a female Stormtrooper commander (Christie)?

EDIT: I just skimmed the article and missed that Christie was mentioned.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That would make me furious. I miss the McCarthy era of evil sexism and racism. I eat puppies and babies for breakfast.

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    My only complaint is that I want to see diversity on the heroes side, and care less if we see a diverse Empire.

The Republic/Alliance should be an all inclusive organization because its based in democracy. The Empire, however, is a totalitarian system and I'm not sure why they'd necessarily be open to diversity, unless out of necessity itself.

I suppose if I was in charge I'd want to represent the Republic/Alliance as totally cosmopolitan whereas diversity in the Empire does happen but only in extraordinary cases, which would highlight their elitism.

However, I think Rebels has established that basically the Empire needs so many recruits for their Imperial pursuits of colonization, that they are diverse out of necessity. I don't hate that approach, but I prefer villains who are less pragmatic and openminded.

Darth PJ, starocean90 and SlashMan like this.
  21. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006

But as was already mentioned, it's not a first. Female stormtroopers were already introduced into the canon months ago in "A New Dawn". Kanan, I think, notes that a couple stormtroopers in a group he sees nearby are female. Boom. Done. It'd just be a first in visual media... unless Rebels beats 'em to the punch in the final episodes of the season.

We really didn't see much diversity in the Rebel Alliance until ROTJ. In ANH, Leia is the only female we see on the Tantive IV and on Yavin... everyone else is a human white male. In TESB, now they've got a nonhuman--Chewie--who's about to bail with Han... and also at least one other lady with Toryn Farr. Everyone else still seems to be human, white, male.

Then in ROTJ we finally see pilots, troops, and officers of different ethnicities, genders, species and that the leader of the Rebellion is a woman. But we didn't see any of those alien pilots in the space battle, aside from Lando's copilot... the other Sullustan and the Mon Cala were cut. The one female pilot who survived the cutting room had a male voice dubbed over her single line and looked 'androgynous' enough that most fans seemed to never notice she was a woman until the last decade or so, and Hasbro still made her character a male when they released a pilot figure pack with "her" in it.

The Legends Alliance had more diversity overall, but generally still went with the default from the films. Even Rogue Squadron counted human white males among at least half its number in the books and many of the comics.

22. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm talking about movies. We can pick apart obscure comics and other stories, but to Lucas and many others, the movies were really the only story.

Well admittedly, Star Wars was somewhat a reflection of the times in that we didn't see female foot soldiers fighting alongside the Rebels. But at the same time, having strong female leaders with Leia and Mon Mothma did a lot to dispel a lot of common "women" stereotyped roles in films. I don't have a problem with there being more females in the Rebellion, as you've noted, it's mystifying why they cut those pilots in ROTJ.

But the point still stands that within the films, we saw the Empire as only human men, while the Rebels were shown to be multiple species and genders.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    For all we know plenty of the OT Stormtroopers were women. Not seeing why this is even a story.

24. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    The Empire is racist - against non-humans. The Rebellion's diversity isn't in ethnicity or gender so much as in uniting dozens of alien races against the Empire.

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    It's not an "obscure comic", it's the very first of the new completely canon novels that Lucasfilm & Disney support. Lucas' personal opinions on the new books or comics are irrelevant, as he is no longer in charge of dictating what's canon and what isn't. That you or others don't pay attention to it does not invalidate it. The movies may have been where Star Wars originated, but that doesn't make it the superior medium or the only place new ideas can be introduced.

And my point still stands that until ROTJ, part 3 of the trilogy, the Rebel Alliance was almost exactly as diverse as the Empire appeared to be.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.