main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. DeadHankRich

DeadHankRich Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Finn's expression and movement in this scene, and the rest from this set give off an anger vibe to me. Maybe he's only heard about the stories from a certain perspective. He starts to feel the force and the power. And he wants more. At first to stop the New Order but as he progresses and feels more powerful each time he ignites the saber he is lured by the prospect of the power. Like he finally has a chance to make a change, to make a difference. This gif gives off more of a "i'm going to punish you" kind of vibe rather than "I've got to protect myself" kind of vibe. An alternative vibe you'd see obi wan having when he ignited his saber. OBW always had that calm sense of, "ok, so this is what it's come to. I'm sorry you feel that way" approach when entered a battle. This feels more like, "Ok, lets do this. I'm going to beat you down".

I buy the angle that he is force sensitive. Just as Ray is. Simply from the angle that it would be another approach to the force. Maybe more of an ambiguous approach. Something beyond the good/bad jedi/sith black/white aspect. Something worth exploring. A different path that is delicate and treacherous. One where it will take him a while to progress on but with become a more rounded charachter with the things he has to learn and deal with. Like Kyle Katard in the video games. Was always learning and using different aspects of the force. Maybe this seemingly reckless sprint into the force will make him far more noble and wiser as he grows.

And as far as the new toy the storm troopers have. Maybe the First Order and Knights of Ren have delved into the history of Jedi from the Empire and Emperor's propaganda machine since the PT. They know the danger. They feel justified in suppressing the force, because from a certain perspective, it instigated the pain and suffering of centuries. Over the years they've been researching and developing weapons and ways to suppress and disable anyone who might be force sensitive or have a light saber. They go into battle aware and prepaired to stand a chance against someone like that. Maybe they even train is basic force ability. Always keeping things simple and control anyone who evolves past the force speed limit.

The simple fact that they have a weapon like this is proof that the New Order is aware and has been preparing themselves for an awaking, or simply the possibility of encountering and controlling the situation if it arises. Or maybe the KOR have been advisers to the New Order. Hired to develop and equip a certain category or battalion of New Order troopers. A special guard that is only deployed when a situations require it. Maybe like Rogue Squadron. A weathered squad of elite troopers able to take care of problems. Maybe the KOR, through guidance of Snoke, has gone through the troops and found out all force sensitive soldiers. Moved them into a special segment of the troops and deliberately trained them with certain abilities for when they need. Perhaps Finn was part of that. He's force sensitive and was taught certain things. Always being held back. But he's learned and felt too much. Like he's aware of too much. That force evolutionary speed limit determined by Snoke. Like he's apart of the Ren attack on the village and feels so deeply that that kind of slaughter is wrong.

When he says, "You don't know a thing about me. We all need to run." That leads me to believe he's seen the manipulation. He's felt the force but was told it was something else and was limited. Maybe he was at that First Order gathering where they seem to demonstrate the Starkiller base. He was there at the village. He sees the momentum and ruthlessness of the First Order and KOR and he doesn't see any way to stop it. It's too powerful. Everyone is as good as gone.

Also, if the Starkiller base is actually able to destroy suns and solar systems it would be awesome that scene where the New Order gathers and demonstrates the base, where it starts out with a overcast daytime shot. the red flash foes off and now it's night time. After the red blast dies down to a pitch black screen, massive flood lights start coming on in sequence to reveal the rows and rows of battalions of troopers below.

I just feel Snoke and KOR are separate from the First Order and they're trying to manipulate and pull some strings to steer them in a certain direction. Using them as a tool for whatever they want to happen.

2. Sithians

Sithians Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 15, 2015
    Yup, I think they are using the first order to basically be their lackeys. They are specifically hunting down force sensitive individuals for the purpose of harnessing dark side essence. That's why they are prepared to fight and protect themselves from a sabre attack. I think it's a cool theory that the darkside powers their weapons.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I absolutely loved this new class of Stormtrooper and for me they surpassed the Scout Trooper design as my favorite. I wished we'd seen more of them. The design and the flamethrower and all, just awesome. Kinda disappointed they were used so little but I guess there wasn't any further room. I hope see them return in future episodes. Who else really liked the Flametroopers?

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I did. I wonder if they were around during the OT.

6. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Possibly. I'm sure there had to be other classes and ranks we didn't see during the OT's events.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

8. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Thanks for the merge :) Wasn't sure if there was already a thread about this. I avoided the spoiler forums for months.

9. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    they had flame clonetroopers in tcw.

10. james92rogers

james92rogers Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Now don't get me wrong, I love the fact the troopers are more human in this one. It gives them a slight comedic element that I enjoyed (the tossing of the blaster on the floor and the two walking away from Ren's tantrum being prime examples)

However in terms of efficiency anyone else seeing how much worse they are in clones?

In the space of one film we have one of them betray them to a large degree, yet the clones were loyal even when they were ordered to turn on and kill their former leaders, and another putting down the shields at gunpoint, where as a clone would have just taken the hit.

If I was in the First Order I would get Kamino on the phone ASAP

goincommando likes this.
  11. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    How about a Stormtrooper army of Daniel Craig clones?

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Both are much better than the recruits in the OT

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  13. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    Some of the clones refused Order 66 after they removed their chips, and many of the ones who obeyed only did so because of the implants. The FO takes them as children and completely indoctrinates them, which is probably astronomically cheaper, and has only had one failure. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  14. thephillieflyer

thephillieflyer Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Clone Troopers>FO Stormtroopers>>>>Empire Stormtroopers
    The Clones were bred for war from conception, and were loyal and precise to a point, as demonstrated throughout the Clone Wars. FO Stormtroopers were taken as children and bred for combat, aka Star Wars' Hitler Youth. They were still normal people, and so of course they would find a few like FN-2187 who just weren't okay with slaughtering innocents. While not as good as the Clones, these troops were precise, as they were able to shoot Poe Dameron's engine before he fled, something the Stormtroopers could never have done to the Millennium Falcon (bigger ship, but its the principal.) Then we have the Empire with their volunteer/drafted army of Stormtroopers. They had nowhere near as much training and their only strength was in numbers.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  15. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I hated the clone troopers because they were CGI.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    From the visual dictionary they're supposed to be a smaller outfit like the First Order as a whole, but that makes them more ruthless and aggressive professional soldiers according to the author. They have better training and armaments basically. Clone troopers were not completely human since they were genetically modified, and later on some were being augmented and enhanced further(Bad Batch).

The movie makes the Stormtroopers out to be somewhat better than the Stormtroopers of the OT and more around the same level the Clones of the movies themselves.

17. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I pick the First Order cause they are well trained, condition, and indoctrinated at a young age. The Clones are far superior but they cost a fortune to process, if you got the credits then they are well worth it.

18. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    FO stormtroopers were the worst troopers yet.

Finn goes into shock because of combat then goes on to kill a whole mess of his friends. He lies all the time and so easily. His programming is awful.
    They dont do enough investigating to find Poe.
    When they go look for the droid they start shooting at it with TIE fighters!!! And this scene is after Ren says that they better bring him back in one piece.

The only cool trooper is Baton Billy.

19. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014

The new troopers seem to at least be a whole lot more accurate. Actual elite shock troops given better training to compensate for not having the sheer number of recruits available to the Empire. Finn could be considered "defective" with his conditioning in the same way some clones were.

20. james92rogers

james92rogers Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I feel like everyone is also forgetting Phasma lowered the shields. If that was a clone general they would have taken the bullet and the resistance ships wouldn't have been able to get there to destroy the planet

Shaak Ti likes this.
  21. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    These Stormtroopers and the Clone Troopers wouldn't lose to Ewoks.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Given what we know of the Stormtroopers in TFA, I would say the First Order is, in a way, like the Jedi Order of the PT. Like the Jedi, they take infants and "train" them in their ways. Before, the Empire would either just recruit or conscript individuals who could were old enough.

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  24. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    like leia han and luke did?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  25. deejalert

deejalert Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    This has me thinking about timelines. Finn has to be in his early to mid-20's. He was taken by the first order as a baby and groomed into being a stormtrooper. He also indicates this is his first battle, so many of his fellow troopers had to be taken and trained years before him. So this has me questioning how long after the fall of the empire did the first order come into power?