main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers... Here?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Well I suppose it depends. So far the FO Stormtroopers look pretty good since they are the first to wound Chewie on the big screen, so they look better than the Empire Troops for sure. To be fair though to the Empire Stormtroopers, they weren't as bad as we make them. I mean, their aim was pretty good against the crew of the Tantive IV and the Jawas until they encountered enemies with a power called "plot armor".

Ultimately, I gotta give it to the Clones. Anything with the blood of Temuera Morrison is pure swag. Ask the victims of Order 66.

Shaak Ti and PCCViking like this.
  2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    You are misremembering: one of the Guavians or Kanjiklub wounds Chewie.

Blame_It_On_Lucas likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

4. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    You are correct good sir. As such, I take the Tantive IV a little more seriously than Jakku villagers. Maybe I will put FO and Empire at a tie.

5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't know if it's just me but somehow their armor looked a little bulkier than before

6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Looks wise the FO is the worst, OT troopers are classics, but the clones win hands down on looks.

As far as story goes, I also agree the Clones were the best troopers in the galaxy. The had a cool back story. They were really realized in TCW and by ROTS, they were just bad@ss, in looks and in skills. The FO troopers look like people in plasitc costums, but the do have an okay backstory (but still much is left to be explained.). OT troopers have little to no story.

Also the FO troopers look like their weapons came from Toys R Us or Target.

7. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    You are correct. In the OT they lacked a lot of the parts that would "rub" the person wearing them. The were thin vacuum formed plastic held on by straps. This lack of material kept them looking "slim" or proportionate. In TFA they went for a more detailed design which inevitably added a lot of bulk. That's why all the troopers look husky. By far the Clones had the best design. Since they were CGI, there wasn't any actual fitting issues. For instance there was no worry of joints bending or issues of how to fit and wear the costume. For me the Clones, being CGI, told a better story because you can concentrate on the Clones and what they are doing vs actors wearing bulky plastic costumes.

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The black "O" in the "O II" on the back of their armor reminded me of the backpack hole in the backs of GI Joe action figures.

redxavier likes this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Sadly, it appears that stormtroopers are still not very good at shooting. :D

10. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    Finn doesn't seem to look much like Jango Fett. So, I'm guessing the rest of the current Stormtroopers are also not clones of Jango Fett like all of the Stormtroopers during the time of the Empire.

So what happened to all of the clones ? Obviously they all didn't die at the end of RoTJ. So, were they locked up. Did they just merge back into civilization, take menial jobs, and deal with flashbacks ? Were they involved in the training of these new First Order Stormtroopers ?

11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Go watch Star Wars Rebels season 2, that'll answer your question.

12. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Finn says something like "I was a stormtrooper. Like all of them, I was taken at birth." And there's the little exchange between Ren and Hux confirming that the First Order troops are not clones, but are "programmed from birth." So for whatever reason, they wanted it made clear that the First Order stormies are now regular, natural-born people.

EDIT: thread merge made this post kind of pointless.

13. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    They were retired. By the time of the OT they were all too old to make effective soldiers in the field anyways. I could see someone like Commander Cody being a higher up general during the Galactic Civil War but your run of the mill clonetroopers weren't fighting the Rebels. Their age acceleration made them grow up quickly but also age quickly too.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    really?

15. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I read somewhere that clone troopers were all gone by the time of ANH. 20 something year gap between RotS n ANH.

16. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Once the Enpire was in power they could just take whoever they want to be a soldier. Whether adult or child. Sfar as I would think anyway.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Correct, the stormtroopers in the OT were not clones either.

Also, thread merge.

18. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Very good question and good points. I think from the films, it looks like the Clonetroopers were created to give the Republic (and thus Palpatine) a totally obedient and highly trained army of millions upon millions of troops. They were loyal to the command chain as they had been flash trained, etc from birth to the battlefield. So yes they were loyal to the Republic and served their Jedi Generals well.

But ultimately being loyal to the Republic, meant being loyal to the Commander in Chief. By ROTS, Palpatine has amassed so much power he is equivalent to the Republic. He is superior to their Jedi Generals. Now clones can think independently in terms of fulfilling their orders from their superiors. Order 66 was an executive order directly from the commander in chief ordering the execution of Jedi Generals. Thus the clones willfully obeyed without hesitation or any question.

They are still troopers of the Republic at this point forming the core of the GAR. When Palpatine converts the Republic into the Galactic Empire, the clones are redesignated from clone troopers to the Imperial stormtroopers. They are still loyal to the command chain - i.e. the leader of the Empire - the Emperor. Second in command is Vader.

Pretty much the stormtrooper ranks are filled primarily with clone soldiers (now called stormtroopers) and supplemented by recruits from Imperial academies, most of whom would become officers to replace the Jedi Generals. In terms of clone templates, many might have been Jango clones at first, but maybe other templates were used. Certainly they might have been raised on different worlds to account for their accents in the OT. But otherwise they were all fairly replaceable totally loyal and highly trained servants to the Empire.

By the time of the OT, maybe there are more and more recruits to increase the size of the military. Certainly the Imperial Navy seems to be manned by trained officers. Let's not forget that certain commanders etc whom you see might be different clone templates too. It is likely that the Emperor would have ensured Imperial control of cloning facilities to ensure that a rival army did not arise.

As for the aging process, not sure if that continued all the way to death, but yes I suppose they would be retired. Not sure what happens then. They'd be constantly replaced with younger clones or recruits.

As for the post Endor situation, the Imperials might lose control of the cloning facilities. As for loyalty the clone element of the army at least would be totally loyal to the command chain. Now the Emperor is gone, so it would revert to Lord Vader. But given he is gone, that leaves whoever is next, maybe a Grand Moff or the Imperial Senate?

It makes you think had Luke accepted and become an heir, he could have done the whole thing much more smoothly like Palpatine had in terms of the transition and the Imperial Stormtroopers would have become the new troopers of the New Republic.

It appears the New Republic does not seem to have some massive standing army to rival that of the Empire or even the GAR for that matter. It looks like the Resistance, itself a shadow of the old Rebellion has taken it upon itself to prepare for a remnant threat from old Imperial Generals who have been swayed by this mysterious Snoke. Maybe we find out what happened later in the sequels?

It seems the First Order have been secretly preparing in the far reaches of the Outer Rim. Now it looks like they have primarily focussed on a highly trained core group of soldiers rather than a massive army which they do not appear to have the resources for unlike the old Empire. It is modelled on the Empire in terms of order, but not in terms of benevolence as Palpatine had done. It also doesn't appear to have some form of legitimacy to Galactic Rule as the Empire did. And unlike the Empire, seems quite ruthless to say the least.

From the film, there is a great line about the new brainwashed and trained recruits failing to prevent a Resistance Fighter (Poe) from escapin. Kylo tells the General that maybe they should have used clone troopers, referring probably to the clone troopers of old and their training.

It would be cool to see clones back in force. Not to mention droidekas. Maybe the latter can be used by the Jedi to even the odds? Also maybe Republic Star Destroyers like the clone wars?

19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    What we see formed up on the parade ground on Starkiller Base doesn't look much like a GAR-style force either. They have several different specializations of troops, and we see lots of TIEs and pilots, and some dropships that... might or might not have guns? Maybe a few? They're very cool in a Normandy invasion kind of way, and the LEGO dropship has guns, so let's assume they're somehow armed. There are some Star Destroyers or similar near SKB that get blown up. On the parade ground, off to one side, there are also some machines that could be walkers or could be part of the base, and are presumably now part of the star.

The clone army was much more mechanized than what we see here. Bikes, many kinds of walkers (like those super-sweet one-man ones!), skycrane things to drop off the walkers. Of course, just because it's not at this formation doesn't mean it's missing from the army, but what we've been shown suggests the First Order might trust much more in infantry than its predecessors — note Hux's defense of his men.