main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stormtroopers in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Aug 3, 2016.

1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I was just reading about these Phase Zero Dark Troopers from Battlefront, and I think there are some ideas they could use in future films. The concept of troopers with cybernetic enhancements is interesting, a sort of fusion between battle droids and clones. Being the Vader fanboy he is, I could see Kylo leading an elite squad of troopers that are "more machine than man."

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd love the idea of Finn going behind First Order lines to damage their infrastructure and try and get communication between GFFA Resistance and First Order insurgency groups, including recruiting or Stormtroopers to his cause (and maybe they all do some variation of the bloody handprint to show their new allegiance.)

And it would be even better if Finn's reverse-Odyssey in his homeland also shows off dozens of different Stromtrooper variants, all under Phasma's control. We've heard about I an executioner Trooper, we had four variations in TFA, and I figure there must be veteran troopers from the 30 years between the trilogies who might have been cyberized, mustanged into command positions, been experimental prototypes, and other such variations.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hoping we see as few stormtroopers as possible. I think including them in TFA was a mistake - give us something new!

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What about Calmtroopers?
    [​IMG]

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I literally laughed out loud [face_laugh]

Darth Smurf likes this.
  6. JerrickDamon

JerrickDamon Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2017
    I might be way off base here so feel free to call me an idiot.... Kylo mentioned 'clones' to Hux in the TFA in which Hux was super defensive of his troopers and dismissive of the idea of clones in general, almost like it was brought up in the past. Question is: What are the odds of us seeing some clones in the upcoming films whether it's an army or just a couple people?

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Gosh, I hope not. We've had so much of clones with AOTC, ROTS and TCW. I don't think that subject needs more retreading.

Avnar, Twain, TheMoldyCrow and 2 others like this.
  8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't think that clones exist currently in this timeline as FO subjects, but I don't think that it would be out of consideration if they become needed. If they aren't mentioned again in TLJ, then I would assume that it was just a one-off snarky comment to rile Hux up.

Welcome aboard!

JerrickDamon likes this.
  9. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    I thought the reason it was said was to establish the fact that these stormtroopers were NOT clones. The most recent trilogy was the PT, so the audience might have assumed a cloned military.

This was important when we learned about Finn, taken from a family he never knew, etc.

11-4D, Revanfan1, TK327 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That was just Kylo taunting Hux. Clones seemed to carry a negative connotation for them, which is why Kylo suggested they may be better than Hux's troops.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  11. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Maybe in the sense that the clones were very good and very efficient warriors and that Hux's army couldn't produce as good of a soldier as one that was created in a lab. I don't see how the clone army was looked down to other than in the sense that they are beings grown in a lab. They were very, very good at war.

12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, I think there's a subtext of prejudice for Kylo and Hux. But also I believe the canon has it that the clones became troublesome and disloyal over time, so the First Order wouldn't think much of the Empire's early use of them.

TheBBP likes this.
  13. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Ahhhhggg... Just when I was expecting an insider to come here and enlighten us...

14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Depends on how big the First Order's pocket book is...

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    That whole glossed over plot element of the First Order kidnapping, or buying, or enrolling (like the Jedi once did?) children would be an interesting angle for the series to take up. Depth to Finn's character.

Childless societies, stripped of their kids to feed the war machine.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed.

18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Like the gray PT Jedi.

19. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    The twist is...the new clones will be female. Captain Phasma will be the Jango.

20. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012

_ _ _ _

Shades of Temple of Doom there. Honestly, I do think the reference to clones by Ren was just a jibe against Tux at how inept his troopers were. I don't imagine seeing them again in TLJ or IX. Still, who knows?

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This. One of my friends saw TFA for the first time on Friday night (watched it with me) and he said at the beginning when Finn reacted to Slip's death "Why is he reacting like that? Aren't they clones? Why did the blood on his helmet make him do that?" or something like that. I said, "No, they're not clones anymore" and then later, when Kylo said that line about the clones I said, "See, he mentioned the troops aren't clones." I'm 100% positive that's the reason that line was there: to reinforce to the audience that none of the stormtroopers were clones (as if Finn's appearance and Phasma being a woman weren't evidence enough).

11-4D and cerealbox like this.
  22. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Clones don't have to be the same sex by the way, but yes they wanted to make it clear that stormtroopers are not clones. I wouldn't be against having a one off clone of someone appear like Luuke in The Last Command. Reey? Lol.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Well usually, when a casual fan of Star Wars refers to "clones," they're specifically talking about clones of Jango Fett. So...yeah.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

That made me wonder. Do you think, had the prequels have been made today by Disney, that there would have been male and female Jango clones?

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Probably not. There may have been more than one template, but not male and female from the same template (and honestly, more than one template would make a lot of sense for an army).