main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Stormtroopers in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by EHT, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Keldon

Keldon Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2018
    No, it's about the fact that they are just throwing more pointless, ill thought-out trooper variants out there hoping to spark interest. Which is failing, because merch isn't selling.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The merch not selling has a lot more to do with poor distribution and waves not being put on the shelves until the prior one is almost totally gone. We have seen this happen again and again with SW. When TCW was on air certain waves were sitting there pegwarming, not cause people hated the show but cause everyone already had their phase 2 Cody, but the stores would not move the next wave out till all the Cody figures had gone.

Also "ill thought-out" what's so ill thought-out about a patrol trooper or range troopers? I mean by that logic the scout trooper was pointless, there was no real need for them in the film, they could have been normal troopers. Trooper diversity is there to flesh things out and yeah create some cool toys, and hey in terms of online sales I have seen the range trooper figure sell out pretty fast on ebay.

Frankly this ill-informed idea that pegwarming reflects on the community's outlook on the film is the real pointless thing going on here.

As for some of the troopers being style over substance, so what? As long as they look cool, make some sense to an extent, and the figure is cool then I am fine. The Shoretrooper was not super necessary nor was the Tank Gunner, and yet I have bought a lot of merch of them both. Style over substance is perfectly fine for a background trooper who is there to sell toys and look cool.

There is no problem with adding aesthetic flourishes, and again pegwarming does not really have anything to do with whether or not the fans like the looks. Keep in mind that for TFA the pegwarmers were not snowtroopers at TRU (TRU exclusive), but rather Finn and Zuvio cause they had overstocked and no one wanted more than one. Or in terms of the Tank Gunner, I was there on Rogue Friday and they had like 5 and they flew off the shelves, they overcompensated and bought more than needed and then did not rotate thus causing people to stop buying them cause they are not gonna army build with $20 figures, at least not more than 2 or 3 of the same.

The point is that these are specific situations, and trooper variants really have little to do with them. After all any store I went to that did have the RO wave with the Death Trooper in it, those things got snatched up fast. It was pegs with 15 Cassians that got stuck cause no one wants 15 Cassians, he was my favorite character but I would not spend the money to buy 2. This is why the problem has more to do with wave rotations than anything

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    There's 8 Darth Vaders at my target. Are we gonna start claiming people hate the OT now because those figures didn't sell?

WCB and their ilk might try and tell you differently, but there's plenty of reasons Hasbro's toys aren't selling as well compared to previous decades. For one, as mentioned earlier, Hasbro's distribution and wave choices have been pretty abysmal since even before TFA. The quality of the figures have also declined as Hasbro has cheaper put in recent years.

With the poor quality of Hasbro's toys comes the biggest reason Hasbro merch is down: competition. Hasbro isn't top dog among collectors or casual fans. They're competing with Funko, SH Figuarts, nendoroids, hot toys, figmas, bandai Tamashii, and many more companies creating Star Wars products at the same level or higher than Hasbro. And guess what? Those figures are doing quite well.

4. Keldon

Keldon Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2018
    Excuses don't move merch. You can't sell to fans turned off by bad movies.

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Ummm pretty sure explanations are not the same as excuses. Pegwarming is a thing that has always been around and examples can be provided from very successful movies. Also yeah you cannot sell as easily to fans turned off by a film......then again Solo has a massive amount of fans none the less, and its merch is moving decently enough when one considers the affect of pegwarming and TRU shutting down. The Infinity War figures at my local stores have not been moving super face, well I guess that film was a massive failure with no fan backing right? Oh wait it was a massive success, maybe just maybe "excuses" are actually explanations of divergent trends that are not actually corrected.

You dislike the film, that is fine, but to act like pegwarming only exists due to some massive fan outcry is frankly ridiculous and not supported at all. Again why did the death troopers fly off shelves? Why is it that when there are range troopers that make it to the stores they end up getting snatched up as well as being sold out quickly online? Why is it that the Black Series Executioner trooper was in massive demand due to it not being on many shelves, thus going for a higher price online when its wave first came out but was blocked by pegwarming?

Just logistically your point fails, pegwarming stems from a lack of rotation in which waves get put on the shelves, if you were correct and this was 100% a matter of there being no demand only, then the waves would be rotated faster in order to move beyond them. However the lack of rotation clearly shows the systemic reason for pegwarming, a reason that has been showcased for so freaking long. TFA took the world by storm, and yet it had pegwarming, and yet online those figures that were not on shelves, were selling super well. It's almost as if pegwarming is separate.

Your rebuttal is "well I am gonna call it an excuse cause I dislike it, but don't feel like actually forming an argument". It's like saying that you are a superb cook, and then once your sleeve catches fire you respond with "fire does not exist, that's just an excuse for YOUR bad cooking not mine"

godisawesome , Outsourced and EHT like this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You’ve been given great explanations for merch sales already, so at this point this is just off-topic criticism of the movies themselves.

7. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    As a collector of the 3.75” line, I was lucky to get a few Mimban Troopers and Range Troopers. Though it doesn’t appear they will be releasing a default mudtrooper figure. Wave 4 has a listing of a Han mudtrooper variant, looks like I may end up army building a protagonist for the first time ever.

whostheBossk and vncredleader like this.
  8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Hahaha that's gotta be a strange feeling for a collector.

Cantina Regular likes this.
  9. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
  10. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I was lucky enough to get the Han Mudtrooper single carded (Five Below has them) and picked up several of the ever popular Trooper 6 pack from Target at clearance. This included Han as Mudtrooper, Mudtrooper, Patrol Trooper, Tie Pilot, Stormtrooper w/Paldron, and Mimban trooper. Army building at its best! I have to say the troopers in Solo were amazing. I wish they had a larger part in the movie.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Watching Solo right now. The Range Troopers are one of my favorite Trooper designs yet. Those and the Shore Troopers from RO are the coolest Troopers so far in the new movies IMO.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. And the Death Troopers, of course.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    As much as I like the Range Troopers and some of the others, I kinda prefer the Swamp/Mudtroopers. They look like regular soldiers from the EU . I think they captured well like a cross between German army soldier of WWI/WII, Warhammer 40K Imperial army soldiers and Paul Verhoeven's Mobile Infantry from the 1997 Starship Troopers movie.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm honestly not that crazy about the Death Troopers. I mean, they're cool, but not that cool. I prefer the more "normal" varations of the stormtroopers.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I recognize the blasphemous nature of this post, but I will let it slide as I’m in a generous mood today.

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I kno....I mean, hate leads to suffering.

[​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like the Death Troopers. Cool voices, design and a mystique about them. One of the better additions to the series, IMO.