main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

stormtroopers with grappling hooks?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Aiki-Jedimaster, Jun 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiki-Jedimaster

Aiki-Jedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2003
    I noticed something when viewing ANH the other day. When luke needed to swing across the pit with leia, he pulls out a grappling hook and rope from his belt and swings across. However his belt looked like he took it from the stormtroopers outfit he discarded earlier. If it wasn't his belt why would a stormtrooper need a grappling hook and if it was his, why would luke need one on a flat desert planet??

2. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    The belt is stormtrooper's. And since stormies are (no matter what people think of them) Empire's elite. They have all kinds of devices in their armor and on their belts. What do they need the hooks for? Well, suppose the have to climb down from roof and enter through the windows? Or climb up the building/rebel hideout?
    Actually you could say that stormies are counter-terrorists of Star Wars.
    It's the same as if you asked some S.W.A.T guy 'What's the rifle for?'

3. Aiki-Jedimaster

May 31, 2003
    I don't know, I can't picture a stormtrooper throwing his hook up the side of a wall and start climbing, that armor doesn't allow much flexibility.

4. Darkness_Himself

Jun 21, 2003
    It's hard to imagine because we never saw it. I would've had a hard time imagining a star destroyer if i didn't see one! ;)
    Anyway, that's what stormies do, only we don't see them.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And, you know, the hooks aren't just for climbing. People can swing across large gaps with them as well.

6. Aiki-Jedimaster

May 31, 2003
    I don't think that is a comparable comparison. The stormtroopers always seemed to me to be infantry soilders, not special elite. Basic troops sent in to do the ground assault, not special missions, and with those bulky outfits, not the best suited for covert operations involving scaling walls of a rebel base.

7. Darkness_Himself

Jun 21, 2003
    No, you're wrong. Storming rebel bases are special missions. Stormies were used everywhere at the height of Emperor's power, just to show everybody how big and strong his Empire is (especially during the rebellion, 'rule by fear' doctrine) But there are also stormies who are in fact imperial police (check the official site, databank "coruscant guard")
    I also never said that a fully dressed and armored stormtrooper is going undercover among rebels. I meant special military missions.

8. Aiki-Jedimaster

May 31, 2003
    forgive me, but I have never seen the stormtroopers as anything more then targets to be hit. They never showed onscreen anything to portray them as elite forces. In fact they can't hit much and mobility wise, they are not that agile, Perhaps you are getting your info elsewhere then the films? anyhow, we are getting off the topic slightly.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    but I have never seen the stormtroopers as anything more then targets to be hit. They never showed onscreen anything to portray them as elite forces

The beginning of ANH, on the Tantive IV, they pretty easily mowed through the rebel forces on the ship. Every other time we see them, they're shooting at the main characters, who's deaths would greatly shorten the story.

10. Aiki-Jedimaster

May 31, 2003
    I give you that, but that was strength in numbers, not individual ability

11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

Not really. There weren't that many more stormtroopers coming through the door of the Tantive IV. Watch the battle again.Also, there're relatively few stormtrooper deaths compared to the massive amount of Rebel casualties.

Also, a legion of Palpatine's best troops happened to be stormtroopers. If there was another force, I'm sure we would have seen it.(the Imperials were winning until Chewie captured that AT ST)

Stormtroopers can't kill the heroes. It would shorten the story.

12. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    The grappling hook is just part of the equipment.

13. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This is just one of those little things ya gotta sweep under the rug for willing suspension of disbelief.

Ah, hell with it. SW's ruined for me now. :( ;)

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "And, you know, the hooks aren't just for climbing. People can swing across large gaps with them as well."

Nah, no one could do that. That's stupid.

15. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Stormtroopers can't kill the heroes. It would shorten the story.

They shoot them though, which shows that they aren't completly useless. ( Well they shoot them, then get blasted in the face )

16. TK-101788

TK-101788 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2003

Thats one of the stormtrooper's main advantages. Remember the legion from ROTJ, when the Emperor arrived at the Death Star.

The Empire was maintained as much by brute force as anything else. Brute force and intimidation. Losses where acceptable, because there were always more troops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.