main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Story narrative of Episode VII and new saga . . .

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MovingPictures73, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MovingPictures73

MovingPictures73 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    I have observed in reading spoilers regarding Episode VII as well as concern about the overall quality of the movie and saga to come whether it will live up to the brand that is "Star Wars".

Catharsis is a sense that your soul has been satisfied by what you have experienced. If the motivations and tensions in a narrative are weak there will be little or no real catharsis in the experience. I feel in recent years we have gotten more used to shock and spectacle rather than real cathartic satisfaction in the movies we watch.

That seems to be the running concern with Episode VII and the coming movies and even the future of "Star Wars".

I would be lying if I said I didn't share in that concern, but I also take comfort in the knowledge that they are using the right ingredients.

Lawrence Kasdan is one of the main forces behind the power narratives which drove ESB and ROTJ and I want to believe that he and those he is working with will not be stupid with the quality of narrative and preserving the cathartic legacy which exists.

whostheBossk and Dra--- like this.
  2. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    It won't win any Oscars, but I have a feeling we're going to be very pleasantly surprised.

3. MovingPictures73

Jul 12, 2014
    I agree, I think the cultural influence is far greater than Oscars anyways.

4. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Would be nice if Mark Hamill got an oscar nomination for best supporting actor :D

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Star Wars still needs to appeal to young audiences and will be under the Disney cloud. Being too somber or depressing like the Dark Knight trilogy will have a backlash. However, being too kiddie like TPM will also possibly have negative effects. Somewhere in between is good. The Marvel movies have done a good job with that so I can see SW being within that range.

Satisfying and uplifting, but with some heroic sacrifices.

Jcuk and plaidphoenix like this.
  6. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    If the messy and character-driven pilot of 'Rebels' was anything to go by, I think the saga is in good hands.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    ROTS is beyond somber and depressing, and that appears to be the most well received of the PT

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    ^^^ You have a point, but then again Episode III was always meant to be somber and depressing. It will be interesting to see if they'd dare go that route with the first movie of a new trilogy.

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So far everything that has "leaked" has been promising. I just worry if JJ nails it how will the other guys go...?

10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I don't believe that JJ has the power everyone assumes. He was not hired for this in the same way he was hired to specifically reboot Star Trek. Sure, he's got some stroke, but I think Kathy Kennedy is the real boss here and will follow through nicely with the other directors.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  11. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

*Cue Sidious' voice*

"Not for a Star Wars movie."

[​IMG]

TheBBP likes this.
  12. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

13. Thomas Solo

Thomas Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    If this trilogy is to mirror the OT, I can't see how they can make a 'happy ending' like the end of ANH. When ANH was made, there was no idea that a sequel might happen......but with this trilogy, we know more is to come. I'm hoping it is appropriately dark. I'm actually a JJ fan so my money is on 'it will be pretty darned good.'

Jcuk likes this.
  14. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, compared to Episodes I (largely unnecessary movie with bad acting boy Anakin, annoying ridiculous Jar Jar and boring politics) and II (forced romance with awkward dialogue that takes up way too much screen time; not much action until the climax). People wanted to see how Anakin became Vader. We were all expecting it to be dark, and it stood out from the rest by being rated PG-13, so that made it much easier to watch going in. No kid Anakin, very little Jar Jar and romance, unprecedented violence and drama for a Star Wars film (Vader actually murders children with a lightsaber?!!) that covered the bulk of the OT's backstory.

That said, I very much expect Disney's first Star Wars film to be a return to the lighthearted adventure along the lines of IV's tone (not kiddy but for general audiences) with V's pacing (IV dragged on too much with heavy focus on the droids and Luke; needs more variety of scenes with other characters and action) and a mix of IV and V's character interactions (IV for brand new interactions, V mostly for original cast).

Once VII firmly establishes the new cast, I expect VIII and IX to be darker overall while still containing plenty of general audience light heartedness (think V, not III).

Jcuk likes this.
  15. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

TPM ended the same way though...almost exactly like ANH. The minor villain was killed, but the main villain is still out there somewhere, but everyone celebrates at the end.

I get the sense ep 7 will end the same way. Whatever Empire's plan is gets thwarted, everyone's happy, and we get a glimpse of who the MAIN villain is at the end (Sydow's character?)

16. MovingPictures73

Jul 12, 2014
    One thing I am hoping doesn't happen in the next trilogy is having Luke Skywalker turning to the dark side. I feel like in these movie Luke should be at a stature of being above the dark side as a hero like Yoda or Obi-wan. His cathartic resolution in ROTJ was near perfect and I feel a turn to the dark side would undermine his entire character thread and arc.

I understand putting twists in the narrative but there is a difference between that and twisting the narrative.

17. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

No kidding. After watching an entire trilogy of his father doing it, that path would be MORE than redundant. Luke is the Paragon who has already been to the precipice of the dark side and sent it back to where it came from. To have him turn now would diminish what he did in RotJ.

18. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    It wouldn't even make sense for an aged Luke Skywalker to suddenly turn to the dark side, after following the path of the light side for more than 30 years.

I trust they got better ideas than that.

ChildOfWinds and TheBBP like this.
  19. Thomas Solo

Thomas Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2012

Excellent point. Of course we knew more PT was coming as well. I hadn't thought of that.

20. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    From what David Fincher was saying recently, it sounds like Disney is aiming for a movie more like Jedi than Empire. At least... that's what he assumed.

21. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014
    Well there is no "new" saga, there is one and only saga.

Mind you, there was nothing cathartic for Luke in RoJ, it was in ESP, and it resulted in him being more resolute, and almost fanatically determined to reach to his father and "bring him over" (in RoJ). So annulling ANH's happy ending, and somewhat existential ESB paid off (with interest).

Future is not written, Luke perhaps is above dark/light side now (as he embodies both), or one or the other -.we just don't know and nothing is guaranteed. This uncertainty contributes to us rooting for him or other characters, makes it all more interesting.

In history, real and fictional, it is not unusual that some young national hero, becomes a corrupted dictator at his later age, that's a possibility one underestimate should not. :)

22. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I think Luke's arc is going to be based more on his own self-doubt rather than a fall to the darkside. Like, maybe he's afraid of falling to the dark side because he's discovering his own power and doesn't want to follow his father's path. So, he exiles himself.

23. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    Will the story be linear like A New Hope or branching out like ESB and ROTJ?

24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm not expecting an ANH clone with VII. We have a definite 3 chapters to tell an unknown story. So it will not be a film that will be able to stand on its own narrative wise. I expect 2 cliffhangers and an all out,epic battle at the end of the third episode. Not one at the end of each instalment.

25. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    The X-wings suggest there will be a battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.